Opinion Thompson

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If we were a competitive team, you'd imagine the coach would structure some plays as part of the game plan, specifically for our new forward. Something involving Foran, who is our only playmaker, to help Thompson's confidence so he can fit in.

But no, blame the new guy.

The player hasn't said a word about any of this. Its all come from the club.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we were a competitive team, you'd imagine the coach would structure some plays as part of the game plan, specifically for our new forward. Something involving Foran, who is our only playmaker, to help Thompson's confidence so he can fit in.

But no, blame the new guy.

The player hasn't said a word about any of this. Its all come from the club.
Yeah 2 weeks in quarantine, then a couple of weeks of training before playing, and a change of coach in the mix, isn't much of a start. The virus re-outbreak and delays with getting his partner out here would also be shitty. He's a professional on good money and all that, but he's human and all those things have been against him - but like you said, he hasn't been whinging publicly himself. And agree he is getting shit ball off JMK and Lewis, and should be playing more off Foran.

He's shown enough in patches for me to at least give him the benefit of a good off-season under Barrett, and see how he goes early next year, before writing him off. Our recent recruitment record is pathetic and it's hard not to be jaded and pessimistic when key signings don't turn up straight away, but I think Thompson will be good once he settles.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah 2 weeks in quarantine, then a couple of weeks of training before playing, and a change of coach in the mix, isn't much of a start. The virus re-outbreak and delays with getting his partner out here would also be shitty. He's a professional on good money and all that, but he's human and all those things have been against him - but like you said, he hasn't been whinging publicly himself. And agree he is getting shit ball off JMK and Lewis, and should be playing more off Foran.

He's shown enough in patches for me to at least give him the benefit of a good off-season under Barrett, and see how he goes early next year, before writing him off. Our recent recruitment record is pathetic and it's hard not to be jaded and pessimistic when key signings don't turn up straight away, but I think Thompson will be good once he settles.
For me personally I don't really care so much about his fitness level, personality, game plans, who he's running off or not running off, etc I'm concerned that he doesn't have the right attributes to be elite in the NRL. I've watched abit of ESL and it's a game especially in terms of defence, a big body with a bit of foot speed running hard is enough to be a force over there, the amount of times I've seen guys like Ben Murdoch Masila, David Fifita, sitaleki akuola, etc run over defenders is unbelievable. In the NRL it's very rare to see a forward just run over people the way they do over there, here footwork, agility, offloading ability are more crucial than just straight out foot speed imo and I haven't seen that in Thompson so far

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On the bench for the Titans game, unbelievable !, he should be starting and playing the full 80 minutes.
Even more so after our forwards performance at the weekend.
What was the point in bringing him over early?
to humiliate him maybe
No wonder he’s pissed off
Humilating him was all those fucking videos and posts they did trying to shine a light on the board and the club that they actually signed a player.
Absolute embarrassment and too mucb pressure on someone who is a few kg light and completely untested

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
For me personally I don't really care so much about his fitness level, personality, game plans, who he's running off or not running off, etc I'm concerned that he doesn't have the right attributes to be elite in the NRL. I've watched abit of ESL and it's a game especially in terms of defence, a big body with a bit of foot speed running hard is enough to be a force over there, the amount of times I've seen guys like Ben Murdoch Masila, David Fifita, sitaleki akuola, etc run over defenders is unbelievable. In the NRL it's very rare to see a forward just run over people the way they do over there, here footwork, agility, offloading ability are more crucial than just straight out foot speed imo and I haven't seen that in Thompson so far
I agree with you, Thompson just flat out looks average. I was always concerned jby his carries but because of the limited vision I'd seen of him and the hype, I thought I would try and feel excited that we had actually nailed down a target we were after.

Unfortunately for us Thompson looks to be a major dud and will only draw more criticism due to his price tag an inability to perform the role of a play 1 prop. Honestly RFM is probably on a third of what Thompson is yet would perform miles better at prop than Thompson ever will. I could've lived with a RFM starting there next season and us going after the experienced Tamou to partner him

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it true that in the Bulldogs dressing sheds before the Raiders game, no doggies players were speaking to him?
Can someone confirm this please?
You are obviously reporting on what you seen on the video. When its game time, do you expect the players
to gather around him when they are preparing for the game. Nothing to see here.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No doubt Thompson has been disappointing and the decision to rest him seems counterproductive however im hoping a full pre season and decent coaching and strength building will make a significant difference.
As for the personality stuff who knows - what i do know is that when Elliot gets a microphone its cringeworthy to listen to - maybe thompson felt the same

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has been disappointing but will wait and see next year. May be with new coach, full pre season, slightly different team and different level of motivation can show more.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Imagine being sold our heritage and then coming here to play with Pay and Co.
Comes from a winning culture.
Looked fitter than most of our blokes after not playing = discipline, professionalism. Probably thought, WTF these blokes been doing?

He's in the bubble surrounded by mediocrity.

Being interviewed by Elliot, the cheerleader of the leadership group. Fuckin hell.
Absolute amateur hour these last couple of seasons.
Thomo listens to real music (Stone Roses etc) and Elliot probably listens to k pop. Thomo probably likes the finer things in life, the real deal.
He might not have made a huge impact this year but everything hes done has been with integrity.

Looking forward to seeing how he goes once we have a real coach.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
fast running out of patience for this whinging pommy prick,Tuavasa sheck hasn’t seen his family or baby girl for four months but is playing like a man who has the long term interest of his family at heart and is making sacrifices to see them right.
This cahunt has realised he can’t live up to the hype or the pay cheque and wants to go home
Bulldogs fan here: calm down princess!! We are fast running out of patience with your constant dribbling nonsense. Go for a long walk and don’t come back

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
fast running out of patience for this whinging pommy prick,Tuavasa sheck hasn’t seen his family or baby girl for four months but is playing like a man who has the long term interest of his family at heart and is making sacrifices to see them right.
This cahunt has realised he can’t live up to the hype or the pay cheque and wants to go home
You must be an author or a journo making up all these stories from thin air

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Imagine being sold our heritage and then coming here to play with Pay and Co.
Comes from a winning culture.
Looked fitter than most of our blokes after not playing = discipline, professionalism. Probably thought, WTF these blokes been doing?

He's in the bubble surrounded by mediocrity.

Being interviewed by Elliot, the cheerleader of the leadership group. Fuckin hell.
Absolute amateur hour these last couple of seasons.
Thomo listens to real music (Stone Roses etc) and Elliot probably listens to k pop. Thomo probably likes the finer things in life, the real deal.
He might not have made a huge impact this year but everything hes done has been with integrity.

Looking forward to seeing how he goes once we have a real coach.
I agree wholeheartedly ...but...being paid very well to play very well.

I understand all the reasons why its been shit here but he still has a lot to prove to himself and his new clubs fans that he is up to it. That should be his main motivation.

As has been said...it's up to him to prove the doubters wrong and earn the respect at a new club starting all over again.

If he can't be dominant against his old St Helens coach, who is doing very well here, and, after being what was really "dropped", then it will be very disappointing.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly ...but...being paid very well to play very well.

I understand all the reasons why its been shit here but he still has a lot to prove to himself and his new clubs fans that he is up to it. That should be his main motivation.

As has been said...it's up to him to prove the doubters wrong and earn the respect at a new club starting all over again.

If he can't be dominant against his old St Helens coach, who is doing very well here, and, after being what was really "dropped", then it will be very disappointing.
I hear yu. I also hear the reported coin he is on and he certainly hasnt played like a +$700K player.
I always thought good to get him here early, have a run and provide some relief this season.
Hes obviously not close to being the best prop in the world and all the media bullshit blah blah.
I always thought wed end up paying overs to some players, who would want to come otherwise.
Hes come into the shittest team in the League now without a coach.
Some have pointed out that he makes little impact, his defense is average and is one dimensional. So far Id have to agree.
But I think its early days for him. I think with the right coach and coaching staff he has potential. I think he has a strong work ethic.
Only time will tell.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still can't believe how underwhelming he is...I always had my concerns and due to circumstances I lowered my expectations yet he still managed to fall massively short. Has fucking no impact with his runs, no impact with his defence..just a nothing player. If he was on a couple 100k then no big deal..but he isn't.
The rule change assisted i believe. Id be scared for him coming into the 2019 competition.
Lets give him some time. He looks light and is really skinny below the hips which other teams were targeting.

In any case he shouldnt be a marquee or a lynchpin signing and should be complimenting a better pack. Thats what made all the press about him and excessive pump ups from the dogs even more embarassing

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Only passing on what's been said elsewhere. Probably a settling in type of thing and certainly not insurmountable.
Where?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
his old St Helens coach, who is doing very well here
I wouldn’t call 5-11 with a +/- of -181 ‘doing well’. More wins than the Bulldogs this season doesn’t say much. We’ll see how things go on Saturday but I think talk of Holbrook being a top tier NRL coach is premature. 2021 is the litmus test for both teams.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wouldn’t call 5-11 with a +/- of -181 ‘doing well’. More wins than the Bulldogs this season doesn’t say much. We’ll see how things go on Saturday but I think talk of Holbrook being a top tier NRL coach is premature. 2021 is the litmus test for both teams.
Don’t argue with woman’s day haha

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Did Harry and Meghan split up AGAIN?? :-).
Hahahahahaha OMG did you see the way the queen’s eyebrows raised when she heard Dianna’s name brought up?!?!?? OMG