$7 Million

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Haha. Well hopefully they're managing the cap better than it appears. Speculation will always be rife when there's so much uncertainty and conjecture. The club would go a long way to easing those fears with a strong recruitment drive and some positive announcements. Hopefully that's what happens as there is no excuse for anything less.
Totally agree. And they’d have been foolish to approach it any other way given their own ultimate accountability.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is too many variables to judge if they have spent the money wisely and how much space we have left.

Have they included rumoured re-signings or junior upgrades? There has also been reports the top 30 could drop in size next year so until we know that its difficult to now what position we are in.

There are defiantly some questionable signings and re-signings over the last year or two and have left all their eggs in one basket to get it done in the next 6 months or so.

This is the exact position we are in according to NRL.com

Contracted past 2020.

NRL Top 30

Jake Averillo (2021)
Dean Britt (2021)
Christian Crichton (2021)
Will Hopoate (2021)
Josh Jackson (2023)
Sione Katoa (2021)
Lachlan Lewis (2021)
Jeremy Marshall-King (2021)
Nick Meaney (2021)
Dylan Napa (2021)
Ofahiki Ogden (2021)
Chris Smith (2021)
Reimis Smith (2021)
Joe Stimson (2022)
Luke Thompson (2023)
Renouf To'omaga (2021)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (2023)

Juniors signed past 2020 currently not in NRL squad

Jackson Topine (2022)
James Roumanos (2021)
Tuipulotu Katoa (2021)
Matt Doorey (2021) - unconfirmed but has been upgraded in to the top 30 for the rest of 2020

Rumored signings

Brandon Wakeham (2023)
Raymond Faitala Mariner (2023)

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23...ignings--contracts-for-all-16-teams/#bulldogs

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
As posted elsewhere;

Our first Graders From what I know this year per annum.

hoppa - 600k
DWZ - 600k
Holland -550k
Meaney -350k
Foran -1.2mil (backended)
Napa-650k
Jackson-750k
Elliott-500k
Britt - 250k
Lewis- 350k
Tolman -500k (backended)
I know you have a crush on Holland, but, come on.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There is too many variables to judge if they have spent the money wisely and how much space we have left.

Have they included rumoured re-signings or junior upgrades? There has also been reports the top 30 could drop in size next year so until we know that its difficult to now what position we are in.

There are defiantly some questionable signings and re-signings over the last year or two and have left all their eggs in one basket to get it done in the next 6 months or so.

This is the exact position we are in according to NRL.com

Contracted past 2020.

NRL Top 30

Jake Averillo (2021)
Dean Britt (2021)
Christian Crichton (2021)
Will Hopoate (2021)
Josh Jackson (2023)
Sione Katoa (2021)
Lachlan Lewis (2021)
Jeremy Marshall-King (2021)
Nick Meaney (2021)
Dylan Napa (2021)
Ofahiki Ogden (2021)
Chris Smith (2021)
Reimis Smith (2021)
Joe Stimson (2022)
Luke Thompson (2023)
Renouf To'omaga (2021)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (2023)

Juniors signed past 2020 currently not in NRL squad

Jackson Topine (2022)
James Roumanos (2021)
Tuipulotu Katoa (2021)
Matt Doorey (2021) - unconfirmed but has been upgraded in to the top 30 for the rest of 2020

Rumored signings

Brandon Wakeham (2023)
Raymond Faitala Mariner (2023)

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23...ignings--contracts-for-all-16-teams/#bulldogs
I doubt they'd be factoring in retentions to that figure. If anything you'd think they'd make the figure seem larger to sensationalise the story even more, as is their want..

Whatever the real figure is, re-signing any of Elliott and/or Foran and Tolman etc would reduce the cap space even further. But I agree that there are a lot of variables that could swing the available cap space figure one way or the other.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We definitely didn’t pay Reynolds and there is debate about the rest. I can’t remember off the top of my head if we are still paying Mbye for this year still or was it last year. Someone will remember
Yeah I just thought it may be an expense to your cap the OP hadn't factored in?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt they'd be factoring in retentions to that figure. If anything you'd think they'd make the figure seem larger to sensationalise the story even more, as is their want..

Whatever the real figure is, re-signing any of Elliott and/or Foran and Tolman etc would reduce the cap space even further. But I agree that there are a lot of variables that could swing the available cap space figure one way or the other.
There was a probably figure thrown around by someone and the media have just run with it.

They really can't re-sign Elliott they made that decision for themselves when they re-signed Jackson. Jackson is cooked on a edge these days and has to go to lock and when we already have C Smith contracted you really can't justify spending over a million on 3 locks.

It will all come down to if the club can get 3 or 4 genuine NRL to rep standard players that will make a difference and improve the players around them .

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We definitely didn’t pay Reynolds and there is debate about the rest. I can’t remember off the top of my head if we are still paying Mbye for this year still or was it last year. Someone will remember
Woods is the only player that we could be possibly paying after this year.

Mbye's original Dogs contract ran out at the end of 2020. Woods original contract was till 2021 but who knows what the agreement was between the Dogs and Sharks

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I just thought it may be an expense to your cap the OP hadn't factored in?
Klemmer's deal is being paid in full by Newcastle. I'm pretty sure Woods and Mbye aren't on the cap this year as most of it was last season but any amount would be minimal for this season and wouldn't count at all towards next years cap.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Woods is the only player that we could be possibly paying after this year.

Mbye's original Dogs contract ran out at the end of 2020. Woods original contract was till 2021 but who knows what the agreement was between the Dogs and Sharks
That sounds right on Mbye. I had heard Woods helped us out a bit but as you said mate who knows exactly

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Klemmer's deal is being paid in full by Newcastle. I'm pretty sure Woods and Mbye aren't on the cap this year as most of it was last season but any amount would be minimal for this season and wouldn't count at all towards next years cap.
We do have heavily backended contracts to take into calculation for this season too

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Speculation upon speculation, who knows what to believe anymore, I certainly won’t be running figures etc.. Grrrr !!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That sounds right on Mbye. I had heard Woods helped us out a bit but as you said mate who knows exactly
Yeah I think you're right on Woods I remember reading that the Dogs paid all of his salary in 2018 and a portion in 2019 and that was it.

But you can never be 100% sure we aren't paying anything until the original contract has run out.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We do have heavily backended contracts to take into calculation for this season too
Which ones though? Either way, they wouldn't carry over into 2021 and limit the cap space for next year.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've seen numerous reports of the club having "as much as $3 million in cap space".. Who knows if this is a realistic figure or if it's a poor guess by the media..

Every single one of these players contracts for 2021 were handed out by the current regime so they can't point the finger at anyone else... The constant narrative of a war chest or the great work by the club to create cap space doesn't really hold water if we need about eight to ten players and only have $3 million to spend.

Taking Foran, Tolman, CHN, Cogger, Sue, Chrichton, Okunbur, Holland and Elliott out of the equation as they are off contract and adding Thompson, ask yourself if you were building a squad from scratch, do you think the players below are worth 70% of your cap? Where has the money gone?

Will Hopoate
Josh Jackson
Luke Thompson
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Dylan Napa
Lachlan Lewis
Reimis Smith
Jeremy Marshall-King
Joe Stimson
Nick Meaney
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Okhahifi Ogden
Jake Averillo
Renouf To'omaga
Brandon Wakeham
Isaiah Taas
Sione Katoa
Chris Smith
Dean Britt
I’m certain the club is leaking this figure so that they won’t have to pay overs they would have to have almost double that

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The rebuild is a myth. Been saying it since day 1.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m certain the club is leaking this figure so that they won’t have to pay overs they would have to have almost double that
That's a possibility for sure. Having the real figure out there would only lead to managers and players trying to bleed the club dry and overpay. Hopefully that's the case.

Again though, either way we need to see some movement soon enough otherwise they'll be scrambling to spend the 95% of the cap that is required on less than desirable players.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we are still chipping in for Mybe. Thank god this is the last year of paying players to play elsewhere.