Craig Bellamy: Bulldogs prepare mega deal for Melbourne Storm coach

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, but something tells me there is more to this story. Bennett won at the Dragons to add to his Broncos titles and regardless of the conjecture about it being a weak year for NRL, they still did it and with bloody Soward..

Bellamy has won a bunch of titles including the ones they were stripped of. ( if we won the year they stripped our points we would still be celebrating it..) But he has had 3 potential immortals in Cronk, Smith and Slater plus along the way Folau, Ingliss etc. If he is as competitive as I think he is, there is still time to do it at another 1 maybe 2 clubs.

We are ideal because he will see and know about kids like Averillo, Schouup etc. and would have already worked out who's who in the zoo with the rest of the squad. Knowing we have a bucket of money to spend and we are a club of history great history that has seen better times. Hasler came and failed to win the cup and Madge and Bennett knocked the coaching job back.

Thompson could have gone to any club in the comp, why us?

Maybe I want this too much but it is very easy to see why it could work. He could go to the Dragons, but his rival Bennett has been there done that. Roosters are locked up with Robinson, Souths are locked in with Demetriou, The Broncos have to suffer with fuckface Seibold for another century, the Knights are travelling well with O'Brien and that is probably the next best option for Bellamy, the Cowboys are at the wrong end of the premiership cycle, Hasler/Manly, Cleary/Penrith, Cronulla/nowhere, Parra/Arthur, Canberra/Stuart, etc. etc.

The second Brisbane team is not until at least 2023 possibly 2024 and unlike the Storm will not be a 1 team town like Melbourne and nor will they get the leg up like the Super League bred Storm did because the NRL was desperate for a team to work in Victoria.

They will compete for players, sponsors and fans with the Cowboys, Broncos and the Titans. Even the storm waited 3 seasons to win a comp with the team they had. If he is looking to add to his own history as a coach, we should be very tempting.

I am going to keep my chubby for a little longer and daydream about winning Premierships again.
Don’t let me burst your bubble who knows what can happen and getting Bellamy would be absolutely amazing. At the moment though we can only go off what we know and that’s a story by Dean Ritchie that had plenty of holes in it that was flat out denied by the club less then 12 hours later.

We will see if this rumour has legs over the next few months I guess but unfortunately at the minute it looks like there’s no substance to the story so I’m not getting my hopes up on it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm with you on that, I think our wingers are set for the next couple years with dwz and smith(who currently both play in the centres go figure lol)
2 words.. . DEAN PAY!
Yh DWZ should be back there this week and hopefully Smith eventually follows him, other cheaper options will also pop of if they're required.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don’t let me burst your bubble who knows what can happen and getting Bellamy would be absolutely amazing. At the moment though we can only go off what we know and that’s a story by Dean Ritchie that had plenty of holes in it that was flat out denied by the club less then 12 hours later.

We will see if this rumour has legs over the next few months I guess but unfortunately at the minute it looks like there’s no substance to the story so I’m not getting my hopes up on it.
Hahaha no bubble bursting, just spit balling as to why the story could or maybe should have legs. Unless Bellamy has 3 more Cronk/Slater/Smiths up his sleave, his time with Melbourne is almost done. Unless he is legit about retiring which I just cant see with him at only 60, where could he go?

I just hope someone connected with us pitched the right story and pushed the right buttons with him (plus chucked a shit load of cash at him) and he is to come to us, but someone that shouldn't have said something tried to spoil what could be a huge announcement later in the year.

Last edited:

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha no bubble bursting, just spit balling as to why the story could or maybe should have legs. Unless Bellamy has 3 more Cronk/Slater/Smiths up his sleave, his time with Melbourne is almost done. Unless he is legit about retiring which I just cant see with him at only 60, where could he go?

I just hope someone connected with us pitched the right story and pushed the right buttons with him (plus chucked a shit load of cash at him) and he is to come to us and someone that shouldn't have said something tried to spoil what could be a huge announcement later in the year.
grant/ papenhuyzen / Munster ...

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't help but notice what Hill's statement DOESN"T say. There is no mention of Bellamy's management, just Bellyache himself that hasn't been spoken to. Also there is "no offer BEING prepared". Is that because the offer has already been prepared and is with Bellamy's management?

I believe with most of this stuff, where there i smoke there is a fire. I will wait and see before dismissing it entirely.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I just hope someone connected with us pitched the right story and pushed the right buttons with him (plus chucked a shit load of cash at him) and he is to come to us, but someone that shouldn't have said something tried to spoil what could be a huge announcement later in the year.
Oh don’t get me wrong I could see a few ways it could happen too. This is exactly what what the club should be doing. No messing around and going for the best man to get us back to our rightful place as a powerhouse. I would give the board credit for just having a go at getting him even if he told us no.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A straight swap for Cronk/Smith/Slater.. Jokes right? They are 3 good players but not future potential immortals.
Mate.... I'm not suggesting they are.. but you wouldn't have predicted smith/cronk/Slater would be either after less than a few seasons... I think Munster could be as good as any five eighth we've seen in a while

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate.... I'm not suggesting they are.. but you wouldn't have predicted smith/cronk/Slater would be either after less than a few seasons... I think Munster could be as good as any five eighth we've seen in a while
Yeah, thats fair.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And he supported the dogs which just makes you want to cry that he's not playing for us

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bahahahaha no way this happens I'll happily lick the egg off my face if it does!!
The fact it has been leaked is a worry. Someone like Bellamy and the respect he would have for the Storm may quash the rumours and pull out. I wonder which tosser of a player agent leaked this one to get his little commission from the DT?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fact it has been leaked is a worry. Someone like Bellamy and the respect he would have for the Storm may quash the rumours and pull out. I wonder which tosser of a player agent leaked this one to get his little commission from the DT?
Which might explain why Hill was so quick to release a denial statement this morning..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can't help but notice what Hill's statement DOESN"T say. There is no mention of Bellamy's management, just Bellyache himself that hasn't been spoken to. Also there is "no offer BEING prepared". Is that because the offer has already been prepared and is with Bellamy's management?

I believe with most of this stuff, where there i smoke there is a fire. I will wait and see before dismissing it entirely.
I'd like to think something must of happened for this report to come out, I just feel like they've tried to fill in the rest with no information. You could of said all the same things regarding Latrell when Hill addressed that and we didn't sign him.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one thing that I noticed that the majority where united on this to happen. More so than any player recruitment rumour.
A class coach brings more to the table than a class player.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Where there's smoke theres fire. Remember all the Klemmer rumours.....

“Dave is going nowhere,” said Bulldogs chief executive Hill. “He is on contract and there has never been discussions about him leaving the club. We are disappointed that we have to answer another rumour.

“David had no desire to leave the club and the club is not interested in David being anywhere but the Bulldogs.”

The dire salary cap situation of the Bulldogs has rival clubs lining up to secure the 24-year-old firebrand. While Josh Morris is Cronulla bound and it seems twin brother Brett will join the Roosters, Hill is adamant Klemmer won’t be leaving as well.

Newcastle are the latest club to be linked to the Blues prop.

“It is disappointing that we are talking about a player who has two years remaining on his contract,” Hill said. “Dave has come out and says he has a love of the club and no desire to play anywhere else and he is passionate about the Bulldogs. We are not interested in talking to anyone about Dave’s future. He is one of our senior players and forms a strong part of the leadership group.

Hill also came out and denied that we were officially speaking to Latrell or at least put some sort of a spin to deny our interest in him...

Just my opinion, I do believe that some sort of contact was made to Bellamy via a third party but unfortunately some rat leaked it out to the media.

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The club is definitely interested.. and I’m sure a top coach would also be interested given they have a large opportunity to shape their team salary cap wise. This is a rare opportunity as most of the time when a coach is moved on the incoming coach has to sweep the broom through the roster and start again. We have almost already done that. For the record I think one of the sponsors who was supposedly asked to chip in more $$$ has leaked it.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club is definitely interested.. and I’m sure a top coach would also be interested given they have a large opportunity to shape their team salary cap wise. This is a rare opportunity as most of the time when a coach is moved on the incoming coach has to sweep the broom through the roster and start again. We have almost already done that. For the record I think one of the sponsors who was supposedly asked to chip in more $$$ has leaked it.
Rashays anyone...?

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Last time we had a big red English prop coming from St Helens we sacked a Canterbury DNA coach and hired a big name contracted head coach from a powerhouse club.

[emoji102][emoji102][emoji102][emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]