News Footy is back on May 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think the concern for everyone is that this virus is impossible to predict. Impossible.

The NRL has gone out on a limb to put a starting date down, good for them. Will it go according to plan? Who knows?

The EPL initially had a return date at the middle of May. After closer deliberation they realised they can't be putting exact dates on things. Then simply said it'll come back when it's safe. I'd say the facilities and capabilties for the EPL to return are much better. I don't think it's a good comparison at all but each to their own.
Latest figures from the UK are 90k infected and 11k dead. It’s not slowing either (yet). I can’t see a scenario of training or playing for several months there. No bother to me as I don’t follow soccer but my point is the UK is in a far more grim situation with the Rona than Australia and I even think the NRL are being optimistic saying end of May for a resumption.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the concern for everyone is that this virus is impossible to predict. Impossible.

The NRL has gone out on a limb to put a starting date down, good for them. Will it go according to plan? Who knows?

The EPL initially had a return date at the middle of May. After closer deliberation they realised they can't be putting exact dates on things. Then simply said it'll come back when it's safe. I'd say the facilities and capabilties for the EPL to return are much better. I don't think it's a good comparison at all but each to their own.
I’ve never seen a statement from EPL to say Mid May.
My point is, and I have no idea how Basil popped out of the ass he came from, if a sporting body like the EPL comes out and sets a date for a “probable start”, then why can’t the NRL? Yes they are run absolute shithouse, but end of May isn’t out of the question. Unlikely? Maybe so. But not impossible either.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My point is, and I have no idea how Basil popped out of the ass he came from, if a sporting body like the EPL comes out and sets a date for a “probable start”, then why can’t the NRL? Yes they are run absolute shithouse, but end of May isn’t out of the question. Unlikely? Maybe so. But not impossible either.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...lan-resume-season-closed-doors-start-MAY.html
https://talksport.com/football/6844...ed-arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-manchester-city/

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
NEver been mate. Have you? Heard it's really nice though obviously wouldn't go now :grinning:)

Good to see you back on here btw :grinning:)
Been here since ‘05, minus a couple years painting the town red

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is that all you have in your arsenal Baz? Swearing, jiberish, jiberish, swearing, jiberish blah blah. Same old story with you. Typical of your type.
Run along now, go double your two cents with your ‘others’

#hahahahahahatoss
So I take it that’s still a “no” from you backing up your bullshit??

Don’t bother looking for the high moral ground now that you have made an ass of yourself.

You throw out “leftie” “Centrelink” “twat” etc like you have any clue, and then backpeddle when put on the spot.

Put up or shut up.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
See @DinkumDog above comment. Coorporations can come out with starting dates, but in the current climate there's no chance they'll be able to stick to them. If you honestly think that the EPL will start training by mid-May then ... these statements came in England BEFORE the virus really hit. Even now it's no where near peaked, maybe in a few weeks. If that's the case then it'll only start declining at the start of May ...

I think people are just trying to piece together all the information at hand to say the NRL's decision to state we'll be starting in however many weeks is very very ambitious.

I get that you and Bazil have history, and that you two can't really talk it out. I understand what you're trying to say, but the reality ... I think at least ... is very different.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I take it that’s still a “no” from you backing up your bullshit??

Don’t bother looking for the high moral ground now that you have made an ass of yourself.

You throw out “leftie” “Centrelink” “twat” etc like you have any clue, and then backpeddle when put on the spot.

Put up or shut up.
Backpedal? Moral ground?

Get off the piss you boofhead, nothing but word vomit

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So that’s still a no?? Ok take your time and let us all know when you grow a pair.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hate Daily Mail, click bait.

But anyway, now it seems more detailed as they have been working on something for a while and have been back and forth with the Government. So far they are seeing eye to eye, looks like green lights so far.

But anything can happen. We will wait and see
Come on mate. I could post other articles though. It was simply the first. Took 2 seconds to find.

There's absolutely no doubt that the current conditions in Australia are better than many when it comes to Coronavirus. Absolutely no doubt. And that's great. But it doesn't mean it'll last, and when looking at other countries that had a relatively low early number but got a second wave ... It's dangerous to think that this won't happen to Australia. And way way too simplistic to think the virus is undercontrol or controllable.

The issue I see, and I think Bazil and others are making, is that this decision to start this decision was really based on nothing. No collaboration with the Australian government. Nor the players. Nor our major backers Channel 9. All of this in a situation as volatile as the Coronavirus. It's incredibly risky.

To counter that you've brought up the EPL as an example of a major code that's set up a somewhat similar start date. However, you're completely ignoring the fact that England is one of the worst countries in the world atm and they're extremely unlikely to get out of this for some time yet. The government is talking about the range of measures they've introduced lasting another 6 months at a minimum. Things will change with the EPL and that's what people are trying to tell you.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
History?? Don’t know what you are talking about.
History in that you're battling each other these days. Last convo I had with you both was Sleeky launching at you about something. Gathered is was something that had been going on a while considering how ... passionate you two are towards each other ;)

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
So that’s still a no?? Ok take your time and let us all know when you grow a pair.
Awww cute. You can get that sort of action with your North Shore buddies

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Come on mate. I could post other articles though. It was simply the first. Took 2 seconds to find.

There's absolutely no doubt that the current conditions in Australia are better than many when it comes to Coronavirus. Absolutely no doubt. And that's great. But it doesn't mean it'll last, and when looking at other countries that had a relatively low early number but got a second wave ... It's dangerous to think that this won't happen to Australia. And way way too simplistic to think the virus is undercontrol or controllable.

The issue I see, and I think Bazil and others are making, is that this decision to start this decision was really based on nothing. No collaboration with the Australian government. Nor the players. Nor our major backers Channel 9. All of this in a situation as volatile as the Coronavirus. It's incredibly risky.

To counter that you've brought up the EPL as an example of a major code that's set up a somewhat similar start date. However, you're completely ignoring the fact that England is one of the worst countries in the world atm and they're extremely unlikely to get out of this for some time yet. The government is talking about the range of measures they've introduced lasting another 6 months at a minimum. Things will change with the EPL and that's what people are trying to tell you.
Where did I mention ignoring any COVID facts? You want my opinion? I don’t care! I’m not a health expert. But I do see sport coming back sooner rather than later.
Look at Germany. Germany has the fifth-highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the world, with over 107,000 to date. And they are in deep discussions about starting up the league soon. What the government want though is no fans until 2021 at a minimum! And they have taken that on board.

That’s called progress. Progress leads to another step. How many steps there are I don’t know, but we do know that there is progress.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Idea isn’t farfetched.
The EPL and EFL have just stated that 6th June likely to be the day for season to start again and mid May for training together
Your argument from what I can see is based on the above first statement you made in this recent part of the thread. No?

You're right. This date has been pencilled in as a starting point. But if you're going to use that then you need to talk more about it rather than throw shit at Basil or whoever else rebuffs what you're saying.

When was this statement made? What conditions were made with it? Where would it be at?

The only statement I can find (official) simply says as I said, that training WON'T start at the beginning of May like previously said, and the resumption of the EPL will be determined once it's safe. See below:
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1651836

Sorry Sleeky. You made the comment. People came back with questions. You flew off the handle (as did Basil to a point). But instead of backing stuff up you've just thrown rubbish around. Just saying mate. Just saying.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Where did I mention ignoring any COVID facts? You want my opinion? I don’t care! I’m not a health expert. But I do see sport coming back sooner rather than later.
Look at Germany. Germany has the fifth-highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the world, with over 107,000 to date. And they are in deep discussions about starting up the league soon. What the government want though is no fans until 2021 at a minimum! And they have taken that on board.

That’s called progress. Progress leads to another step. How many steps there are I don’t know, but we do know that there is progress.
Again. You brought up the EPL as this shining example of how a much bigger league is coming back roughly at the same time, however ignore the facts the situation has changed dramatically there and refuse to acknowlege it isn't the best example.

Instead of settling that example, now you jump onto Germany to give you some type of proof that the NRL's OK to start when they said. YOu brought up the EPL example mate. Back it up. That's all Basil was saying. Why don't you instead of jumping off to other examples?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Again. You brought up the EPL as this shining example of how a much bigger league is coming back roughly at the same time, however ignore the facts the situation has changed dramatically there and refuse to acknowlege it isn't the best example.

Instead of settling that example, now you jump onto Germany to give you some type of proof that the NRL's OK to start when they said. YOu brought up the EPL example mate. Back it up. That's all Basil was saying. Why don't you instead of jumping off to other examples?
Can you provide a link to where is says football is returning at the dates you've said? I've been looking for it everywhere and just trusted you were right but I honestly can't find anywhere that said it.

You said "just accounced" so assumed it was today, or in the last week. But ...

I'm sure I'm wrong as doubt you'd be foolish enough to base your argument on that so not having a dig. Just give me a link as I'd love to read more about it as I'm a HUGE Liverpool fan and am obviously extremely keen to see the EPL start soon ;)

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your argument from what I can see is based on the above first statement you made in this recent part of the thread. No?

You're right. This date has been pencilled in as a starting point. But if you're going to use that then you need to talk more about it rather than throw shit at Basil or whoever else rebuffs what you're saying.

When was this statement made? What conditions were made with it? Where would it be at?

The only statement I can find (official) simply says as I said, that training WON'T start at the beginning of May like previously said, and the resumption of the EPL will be determined once it's safe. See below:
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1651836

Sorry Sleeky. You made the comment. People came back with questions. You flew off the handle (as did Basil to a point). But instead of backing stuff up you've just thrown rubbish around. Just saying mate. Just saying.
ESPN, Sky Sports... the major broadcasters who get first hand information as they pay the big bucks? Just like Channel 9 and Fox get the first insight into any news with NRL. That’s number 1.

Number 2. Now that they have a vision, they have a meeting on Friday to discuss this with the stakeholders (the actual clubs). If in agreement (with whatever is proposed), then I guess it’s the next step, whatever that is (training arrangements, games, stadiums etc etc).

I won’t be writing essays in each post to make sure others don’t take it the wrong way. If they want to throw in garbage, I throw it right back. I never started the garbage. If you think so, then good for you. Just saying too

Status
Not open for further replies.