Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s ridiculous. I think most people are now stocking up so just they don’t miss out and run out because of the original idiots who were stocking up.
Ironically it was the areas with high Chinese populations where the toilet paper sold out first
I fucked up on a docs appointment so I'm just killing time the amount of fucking idiots cleaning out chemists and woolies is a joke these ***** are unbelievable. How do we go from a nation of chipping in standing as one with these bush fires to Fucking idiots fighting over toilet rolls?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do you not understand how mainstream media works? They feed people shit because it's otherwise a slow news period. The common flu is much more deadly than Corona Virus and spreads in exactly the same way.
This is misleading at best, inaccurate at worst. Where did you hear it from?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
@Psycho Doggie
I said the common flu, not the common cold.

The flu is a common cause of pneumonia. Pneumonia with the flu can be deadly. It can cause fluid buildup and reduce oxygen supply to the lungs and other tissues in the body.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I fucked up on a docs appointment so I'm just killing time the amount of fucking idiots cleaning out chemists and woolies is a joke these ***** are unbelievable. How do we go from a nation of chipping in standing as one with these bush fires to Fucking idiots fighting over toilet rolls?
Agreed mate. People panic so fucking much these days. The media have a lot to answer for but people should also have their own brains

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@Psycho Doggie

The flu is a common cause of pneumonia. Pneumonia with the flu can be deadly. It can cause fluid buildup and reduce oxygen supply to the lungs and other tissues in the body.
Where did I mention colds?

You haven't answered my question...

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you're referring to it spreading the same way, they are both airborne diseases.
Certainly that is true, which is one of the things that makes the toilet paper rush so dumb, it ain't a gastro thing people!

But this similarity can obscure the differences. Same as claims that common flu is more deadly. Regarding transmission, basically they transmit the same, because they are both respiratory viruses, however information gathered so far indicates the Covid19 virus itself behaves quite differently from seasonal influenza (resulting in differences relating to; incubation period, asymptomatic transmission, reacquirement, etc). Part of the point there is that Covid19 is still new, and there are yet too many unknowns. Hopefully by the end of the year it is just a bad memory and the total death count is under 10,000 people, but even the experts who are at ground zero in terms of researching and understanding this virus can't yet tell us in detail about the virus like they can with seasonal flu.

In terms of lethality, this is also difficult to gauge with certainty. Even when it comes to seasonal flu the numbers can be misleading. You'd think it would be simple right? Divide the number of infections by number of deaths, bam, you have lethality percentage. Problem number one is what counts as "infected"? This is actually a problem with judging lethality for common flu, because not everyone who contracts flu (especially those who get the mildest cases) ends up reporting/getting counted. The most thorough data on seasonal flu lethality has it under 1%. Most recent estimates for the new virus have it at around 3.5%. So in terms of lethality the new virus might be four times more deadly, but again, it is NEW, and there isn't enough reliable data yet.

Two other major differences that get obscured when someone says "common flu is much more deadly" are that unlike the new virus, vaccines come out every year for the flu, and that unlike the new virus, many of us already have antibodies in our systems that can fight seasonal flu. I've had pneumonia twice so I get my flu shot for free. Vaccines are a highly effective (though not perfect) barrier against illness. Many people get infected by flu but due to past exposure have antibodies that fight the infection. There is NO vaccine for the new virus, and it is a new virus therefore no one has past exposure, that means the only way to fight it is containment.

Add to that the possibility that the new virus could mutate and become something with a higher lethality than it already has.

Hopefully it doesn't infect many more people, hopefully containment works. But containment has to happen now, because if infection rates become widespread the new virus will quickly become more deadly than seasonal flu in raw numbers, not just lethality rates. Governments and health authorities aren't going to wait for that to happen before they act, because otherwise they will be asked "why didn't you do something?". Better to come out of this a year from now with limited impact and people out there saying to them "why did you react so strongly, the virus did almost nothing".

Bottom line, anyone who says this is a media beat up doesn't understand what is really going on.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Psycho Doggie

Where did you get your doctor qualifications from? A Johnny know it all?

I'm going to stick to my guns and accumulate as much toilet paper as possible, when we are confined to our homes, what will you do after a shit ?

A girl at work said she had only 12 toilet roles left in her inventory, she grossly miscalculated the impact. I told her she is f$#ked and id let her know if I can spare a roll.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly that is true, which is one of the things that makes the toilet paper rush so dumb, it ain't a gastro thing people!

But this similarity can obscure the differences. Same as claims that common flu is more deadly. Regarding transmission, basically they transmit the same, because they are both respiratory viruses, however information gathered so far indicates the Covid19 virus itself behaves quite differently from seasonal influenza (resulting in differences relating to; incubation period, asymptomatic transmission, reacquirement, etc). Part of the point there is that Covid19 is still new, and there are yet too many unknowns. Hopefully by the end of the year it is just a bad memory and the total death count is under 10,000 people, but even the experts who are at ground zero in terms of researching and understanding this virus can't yet tell us in detail about the virus like they can with seasonal flu.

In terms of lethality, this is also difficult to gauge with certainty. Even when it comes to seasonal flu the numbers can be misleading. You'd think it would be simple right? Divide the number of infections by number of deaths, bam, you have lethality percentage. Problem number one is what counts as "infected"? This is actually a problem with judging lethality for common flu, because not everyone who contracts flu (especially those who get the mildest cases) ends up reporting/getting counted. The most thorough data on seasonal flu lethality has it under 1%. Most recent estimates for the new virus have it at around 3.5%. So in terms of lethality the new virus might be four times more deadly, but again, it is NEW, and there isn't enough reliable data yet.

Two other major differences that get obscured when someone says "common flu is much more deadly" are that unlike the new virus, vaccines come out every year for the flu, and that unlike the new virus, many of us already have antibodies in our systems that can fight seasonal flu. I've had pneumonia twice so I get my flu shot for free. Vaccines are a highly effective (though not perfect) barrier against illness. Many people get infected by flu but due to past exposure have antibodies that fight the infection. There is NO vaccine for the new virus, and it is a new virus therefore no one has past exposure, that means the only way to fight it is containment.

Add to that the possibility that the new virus could mutate and become something with a higher lethality than it already has.

Hopefully it doesn't infect many more people, hopefully containment works. But containment has to happen now, because if infection rates become widespread the new virus will quickly become more deadly than seasonal flu in raw numbers, not just lethality rates. Governments and health authorities aren't going to wait for that to happen before they act, because otherwise they will be asked "why didn't you do something?". Better to come out of this a year from now with limited impact and people out there saying to them "why did you react so strongly, the virus did almost nothing".

Bottom line, anyone who says this is a media beat up doesn't understand what is really going on.
I hear your containment comments . Hence the rush for toilet paper. People are prepari g for containment not because it's a gastro virus.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where did you get your doctor qualifications from? A Johnny know it all?

I'm going to stick to my guns and accumulate as much toilet paper as possible, when we are confined to our homes, what will you do after a shit ?

A girl at work said she had only 12 toilet roles left in her inventory, she grossly miscalculated the impact. I told her she is f$#ked and id let her know if I can spare a roll.
Good for you blue balls, you show them who's boss.
You should have said, she's f***ed without toilet paper, and asked if she could be royally f***ed by you and you'd donate two, maybe even three rolls seeing your such a kind hearted individual

And good to know you learned how to spell roll correctly too

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe they are all planning on ordering dodgy Indian via Menulog during the isolation period.

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome... and just stick your arse in the shower, give it a good scrub and you are done, Euro's have been doing that for years, except they call them bidets :-)

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand that as a concern. Still, how many rolls do you reckon you go through in two weeks? 2 or 3?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oxl...uiilton-3ply-toilet-paper-24-rolls/1242918660
I have three bathrooms in my house. I also like to keep clean.

I think anyone with less than 50-60 rolls up their sleeves is skating on thin ice. It would be equivalent to a fire rating of catastrophic

But Some renters don't even wipe their bums. They would rather put the money to a pack of smokes

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you blue balls, you show them who's boss.
You should have said, she's f***ed without toilet paper, and asked if she could be royally f***ed by you and you'd donate two, maybe even three rolls seeing your such a kind hearted individual

And good to know you learned how to spell roll correctly too
As per my earlier story on gold coast, I knocked on the girls door in hotel for a toilet roll and the girl slept with me, almost had a threesome. So it's not unknown to me to trade toilet roles for sex.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Maybe they are all planning on ordering dodgy Indian via Menulog during the isolation period.

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome... and just stick your arse in the shower, give it a good scrub and you are done, Euro's have been doing that for years, except they call them bidets :-)
Spotted: Indian Dog

Wahesh

Reaction score
As per my earlier story on gold coast, I knocked on the girls door in hotel for a toilet roll and the girl slept with me, almost had a threesome. So it's not unknown to me to trade toilet roles for sex.
How do you know the whore didn't have STDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.