Bad recruiting

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For the record, although uninspiring and not the recruiting class that will excite anyone, i think Britt will be decent and that Stimson will become a mainstay and have a good season. Katoa I'm more indifferent about but hope he surprises and at least he wouldn't have cost much...

But one thing is for sure, the calibre of signings for 2021 will have to be a lot better with all of that cap space at their disposal.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They have used the cap excuse for the last three years and while its been valid I still think they could have recruited more wisely.

IMO Britt and Stimson weren't needed when you consider the other positions that we need strengthening.

The club has been making noise over the previous three years that they would be a looking to buy talent for 2021 and now all of a sudden they will be a development club.

I don't necessarily have a problem with being a development club but things like Pay saying they would be after a Ponga like player just gives fans massive expectations.

They need 5-6 NRL quality recruits for next season to be a pass mark for mine.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you are talking about Paul Vaughan he has a contract till 2021 with a Player Option for 2022 at which time he will be 31. Cameron McInnes is also contracted to 2021. Ryan James is uncontracted for 2021 (as best I can tell) then having been at the Titans for 11 years, he is on $big (reported ~$700k) plus he will be 30 in 2021, which is getting on for a heavy duty forward in the NRL.

Go Dogs
All three are seasoned pros and should come cheap considering their ages except McInnes. James and Vaughan easily have 2-3 years in them as they have had some time off footy due to injuries so 31 would more likely be 28-30 depending on the player.

We have a young squad.. we need seasoned leaders that fit the mould which is why these guys would go good for us in my opinion.

Somewhere along the way we can pick up a boom young prop or two to take over.. I just think this forward thinking is the right approach for the club.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah but do they have the Bulldog DNA that is a prerequisite for attaining a position at Canterbury?..... is what they will say
Players don't necessarily need Bulldog DNA to be a dog or act like a dog, just look at Mitchell Pearce he's heavily into dogs :grinning:

Mitchell Pearce disgraceful behaviour - Dog and Pee

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
They have used the cap excuse for the last three years and while its been valid I still think they could have recruited more wisely.

IMO Britt and Stimson weren't needed when you consider the other positions that we need strengthening.

The club has been making noise over the previous three years that they would be a looking to buy talent for 2021 and now all of a sudden they will be a development club.

I don't necessarily have a problem with being a development club but things like Pay saying they would be after a Ponga like player just gives fans massive expectations.

I'd suggest we WILL get 3-4 quality recruits for 2021 that just aren't being spoken about yet.
Britt and Stimson may be more about beyond 2020 when you consider some of the forwards we have off contract at the end of 2020 - Elliot, RFM, Sue, Tolman.
I'm not suggesting that all of them will go, but I doubt all of them will be retained either.
As for Dean - I think he's been media trained since some early comments he made - you'll notice he hasn't said anything publicly about any individual player or 'type' of player. The standard line from the club now is 'We're always interested in talking to quality players who fit our program'.
That approach likely helps keep fans expectations in check too.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree with this more. The salary cap restrictions can only be an excuse for so long. I’m sceptical of the new recruits to be honest as we don’t have a great history of bringing in fringe/solid first graders and helping them reach the next level in their game. Stimson seems to me like a typical storm system player who may not do as well away from that environment.

Anyway, we’ll see I guess.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Players don't necessarily need Bulldog DNA to be a dog or act like a dog, just look at Mitchell Pearce he's heavily into dogs :grinning:

Mitchell Pearce disgraceful behaviour - Dog and Pee
That videooo.. hahahaha he fcuked himself.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think we'll see back-ends and ratchet clauses again and that's a good thing, that's what got us in the mess we're just about out of.
Once fully sorted it's Hilly and the boards job to keep the cap and the roster in a healthy shape going forward.
You're not wrong re: 2021 expectations, but again I think may have been taken a little too literally.
When the whole cap thing blew up, the then new board told the members at the May 2018 forum that 'we will not be able to be active in the player market until 2020, most likely 2021'.
Combine those words with the transfer window and expectation was set that by now we'd be talking about 2021 signings - which we (and most other clubs bar a couple of announcements) are not doing yet.
It will happen...
I don’t really buy into the other clubs aren’t making signings thing... not every club really needs to make mass signings. You sign for what your club needs right ? And I think we probably need experience so even if we don’t sign marquee players experienced first graders will still be a huge positive for us IMO.

Although I don’t know or understand the current strategy I know Hilly is really highly regarded so hoping better times are around the corner. Us fans need it... I think the kennel does too ;)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest we WILL get 3-4 quality recruits for 2021 that just aren't being spoken about yet.
Britt and Stimson may be more about beyond 2020 when you consider some of the forwards we have off contract at the end of 2020 - Elliot, RFM, Sue, Tolman.
I'm not suggesting that all of them will go, but I doubt all of them will be retained either.
As for Dean - I think he's been media trained since some early comments he made - you'll notice he hasn't said anything publicly about any individual player or 'type' of player. The standard line from the club now is 'We're always interested in talking to quality players who fit our program'.
That approach likely helps keep fans expectations in check too.
We have a tonne of talent in the back row coming through so I don't buy that reason for Stimson and Britt.

Seems odd that they want to be a development club then buy players for the position they have the most talented juniors in.

You can't really put the toothpaste back in the tube with respect to Pay's comments once they are said its out there forever.

Its going to be very interesting to see how the next 12 months play out.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Stimson has class about him and can cover 2RF, 5/8 and Lock which fills a bit of a void as I don’t think we had anyone with versatility of that nature. Gives us a solid option on the edge should we shift JJ to the middle f/t.

Britt basically fills Fualalo’s spot in the squad with the added ability to slot into the back row if required. Definite upgrade from what I’ve seen.

I think 2 high quality first graders will be suffice and make a huge difference for 2021. A premium prop forward and key spine player is the target.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t really buy into the other clubs aren’t making signings thing... not every club really needs to make mass signings. You sign for what your club needs right ? And I think we probably need experience so even if we don’t sign marquee players experienced first graders will still be a huge positive for us IMO.

Although I don’t know or understand the current strategy I know Hilly is really highly regarded so hoping better times are around the corner. Us fans need it... I think the kennel does too ;)
Fair comments mate and yes - I think we'll see some quality added for 2021 - irrespective of 'marquee' or not.
In the coming months things will be a lot clearer.
Damn right the Kennel needs some good news, all the faithful do :-)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We have a tonne of talent in the back row coming through so I don't buy that reason for Stimson and Britt.

Seems odd that they want to be a development club then buy players for the position they have the most talented juniors in.

You can't really put the toothpaste back in the tube with respect to Pay's comments once they are said its out there forever.

Its going to be very interesting to see how the next 12 months play out.
We definitely agree on that much - going to be a very interesting year - roll on Round 1! :-)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Worth keeping mind who Stimson & Britt replaced, being Martin, Fualalo & Tualau. IMHO a very worthwhile upgrade and almost certainly using less cap space. It's not possible to know but it could well be that losing the 3 enabled us to fit DWZ in the cap for the whole season (last year we only had ~half a season of his cap).

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its hard not to agree with some of the comments on here. But things need to be put into perspective.
We have a very competitive side at the moment. It will compete with every team it plays.
Recruitment isnt easy. There needs to be quality players available. Not a lot around at present.
There needs to be finances available to pay them. Not a lot of that available at the moment.
When the club stops paying for departed players and sheds a few more, etc, there will be finance available. That looks like 2021.
I suggest that all followers just take it easy and let things happen. Believe me, it will happen.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree with this more. The salary cap restrictions can only be an excuse for so long. I’m sceptical of the new recruits to be honest as we don’t have a great history of bringing in fringe/solid first graders and helping them reach the next level in their game. Stimson seems to me like a typical storm system player who may not do as well away from that environment.
Anyway, we’ll see I guess.
CHN is I would suggest as a reason not to be so sceptical, as well as the obvious improvements in his game (and attitude) he hadn't made the NZ team until he played for us. IMHO DWZ is playing better for us than he did for Penrith for a number of seasons. Sometimes it's not simply improving the player's skill level but making them feel at home, comfortable, happy playing for the club, with the other players and the coaching staff. The environment brings out the best in them and the environment always starts at the top, like the culture.

Go Dogs

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
CHN is I would suggest as a reason not to be so sceptical, as well as the obvious improvements in his game (and attitude) he hadn't made the NZ team until he played for us. IMHO DWZ is playing better for us than he did for Penrith for a number of seasons. Sometimes it's not simply improving the player's skill level but making them feel at home, comfortable, happy playing for the club, with the other players and the coaching staff. The environment brings out the best in them and the environment always starts at the top, like the culture.

Go Dogs
I always liked CHN great line runner was very happy when he signed with us. But he did make the NZ squad at Penrith but pulled out due to injury.

Go Dogs

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Personally - for me, it comes to what positions are we looking to sign for, and what are we trying to strengthen.

If I am honest - I would not touch the back 5. I think we have a solid backline, which could score a decent amount of try's, if given the opportunity too. Plus depth. DWZ, Hoppa, R Smith are definite. Oks, Meaney, Harper (potential gun) and Averillo (highly rated) can fight it out for the remaining spots. Holland and Montoya can duke it out in Ron Massey for superstar benchie.

Where we lack - and its quite obvious - is the halves and hooker. Despite having one of our marquees there (admittedly, Foran played good footy when he wasnt injured last year) - he has nowhere near lived up to the price tag. So then we scour the market to look for a decent half. But realistically - who is there to sign?

There are no "gun" halves available right now. So are we recruiting for the sake of recruiting? (Side note - would consider Connor Watson if he was available).

Hooker - we are in dire needs for one. But again, who is available? Levi was, terrible choice. Korsaisau - we got pipped at the last second by a better Panthers offer, and plus he cited the opportunity to work under Barrett again (of which he flourished under). So do we look at a Nathan Peats? Many on here do not rate him. I personally think he is a step up from JMK, but happy to stick with what we have.

It's nice to come onto a forum and have a sook about the lack of signings - but in all honesty - who would you sign in the market at the moment that is going to 100% make our team better?

If you say Latrell - it's clear he wants to play FB, but DWZ is doing fantastically for us. Why jump at the at opportunity?
Jai Arrow - we are stacked with Forwards. Between Jackson, RFM, and CHN - I would not touch our starting forward pack. Admittedly he would make it better, but it's not worth strengthening an area we are good in.

Players who were considered on the market:

Moylan - would get more service out of tampon
Johnston - No thanks
Adam Douehi - bloke doesn't know if he's a 1,3,4,6,7,9,14 or orange peeler. Wish the kid nothing but the best, but I have not seen quality from him yet.

So again -to re-state.. if you're going to sook about the current state - who would you sign that would better our team?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stimson has class about him and can cover 2RF, 5/8 and Lock which fills a bit of a void as I don’t think we had anyone with versatility of that nature. Gives us a solid option on the edge should we shift JJ to the middle f/t.

Britt basically fills Fualalo’s spot in the squad with the added ability to slot into the back row if required. Definite upgrade from what I’ve seen.

I think 2 high quality first graders will be suffice and make a huge difference for 2021. A premium prop forward and key spine player is the target.
Stimson and Britt will probably turn out be decent players for us>

Given our lack of depth in the centres, hooker and halves I think that cap space should have been used on that instead of the back row.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Stimson I have no doubt is going to become a fan favourite here. He's going to have a big NRL career. Britt is more there for depth I feel, but I saw enough in 2019 to believe he's an upgrade on what we've let go of.

Katoa I think will be the real surprise. He's played 50 NRL games now and 11 games for Tonga. It's the right time for him to step up in the NRL to the next level. I was also quite impressed with his performances for Tonga too which excites me.

All I know is he's a definite upgrade on Fa'amanu Brown and Lichaa combined!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stimson I have no doubt is going to become a fan favourite here. He's going to have a big NRL career. Britt is more there for depth I feel, but I saw enough in 2019 to believe he's an upgrade on what we've let go of.

Katoa I think will be the real surprise. He's played 50 NRL games now and 11 games for Tonga. It's the right time for him to step up in the NRL to the next level. I was also quite impressed with his performances for Tonga too which excites me.

All I know is he's a definite upgrade on Fa'amanu Brown and Lichaa combined!
I have really low expectations of Katoa after what I have seen at Penrith. I’d love to be surprised but he’s not much of a upgrade on Lichaa.