Bad recruiting

Itziby

Waterboy
Reaction score
It really upsets me seeing all other nrl clubs recruiting marquee players and the bulldogs are just loosing there chances with a lot of good signings that could of had

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It really upsets me seeing all other nrl clubs recruiting marquee players and the bulldogs are just loosing there chances with a lot of good signings that could of had
Thanks for your feed back

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It is what it is, as supporters we have been here through the good and bad, an it can only get better, we’ve been at our lowest an we are on the improve. I can’t wait for round 1, I still have a good feeling for 2020, just want to see our doggies play.. been to long and need my fix :grinning:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We're searching the solar system for Dogs DNA..................haven't found any yet lol

Dogs recruiters....

ZOLTAN!

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not such a shit lineup, just gotta squeeze the best out of them weekly for that consistency.
We went through the faze of being competitive and losing close games to being giant killers and winning games.
The mentally tough determined for 79.59 can be achieved.
Name sides were being pipped.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You dont recruit just for the sake of it.

What we need, unfortunately is and has not been available.

2009 we recruited
Brett Kimmorley
Michael Ennis
Josh Morris
Ben Hannant
David Stagg
Greg Eastwood (mid season signing)

We were 1 game away from the GF that year.

We are pretty much in the same position where we first and foremost, desperately require a halfback and hooker.

Cogger, Lewis & Foran are not the answers.

Wakeham is our only hope, though he needs an experienced partner, the same goes with JMK.

No matter how many props we have, we are short 2 class props and we need to unload a few.

A class outside back would be nice, though the ridiculous $$ thrown at them need to be thrown at a 7 & 9

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You dont recruit just for the sake of it.

What we need, unfortunately is and has not been available.

2009 we recruited
Brett Kimmorley
Michael Ennis
Josh Morris
Ben Hannant
David Stagg
Greg Eastwood (mid season signing)

We were 1 game away from the GF that year.

We are pretty much in the same position where we first and foremost, desperately require a halfback and hooker.

Cogger, Lewis & Foran are not the answers.

Wakeham is our only hope, though he needs an experienced partner, the same goes with JMK.

No matter how many props we have, we are short 2 class props and we need to unload a few.

A class outside back would be nice, though the ridiculous $$ thrown at them need to be thrown at a 7 & 9
It's going to be really difficult to get these types of players without throwing ridiculous amounts of cash. We have to be a players almost last option (why would we be if they're decent) for them to join us. If we look at how we signed DWZ it was during the mid season - where he had only one other option, Eels playing centre. This is a problem because we have to go into the season spending X amount of our salary cap meaning we can only sign one player a year mid season doing this. Also for all we know DWZ was a miracle signing and it's really difficult (what I'm leaning towards) to sign someone of that quality even during the mid season for a team in our position. We're going to have a couple million in the salary cap to spend before the start of next year (remember we have to spend it - either by signing players or front loading contracts). Who are we going to spend it on and how? That's the biggest question we need to answer. This all changes if we actually use the money to our "advantage" but if we don't?

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's going to be really difficult to get these types of players without throwing ridiculous amounts of cash. We have to be a players almost last option (why would we be if they're decent) for them to join us. If we look at how we signed DWZ it was during the mid season - where he had only one other option, Eels playing centre. This is a problem because we have to go into the season spending X amount of our salary cap meaning we can only sign one player a year mid season doing this. Also for all we know DWZ was a miracle signing and it's really difficult (what I'm leaning towards) to sign someone of that quality even during the mid season for a team in our position. We're going to have a couple million in the salary cap to spend before the start of next year (remember we have to spend it - either by signing players or front loading contracts). Who are we going to spend it on and how? That's the biggest question we need to answer. This all changes if we actually use the money to our "advantage" but if we don't?
As i said, you dont spend it just for the sake of it.

Whatever good halfbacks and hookers there are, they are all locked in, and keep in mind there is not many standout 7 or 9's in the NRL anyways.

Somehow, we need to get one to break contract or wait for one to come off contract which is a long way away.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
As i said, you dont spend it just for the sake of it.

Whatever good halfbacks and hookers there are, they are all locked in, and keep in mind there is not many standout 7 or 9's in the NRL anyways.

Somehow, we need to get one to break contract or wait for one to come off contract which is a long way away.
Yes and that's a problem because we have to spend so much of our salary cap (90-95%, can't remember exactly). If we're going to wait then we have to sign mercenary type players for one season (either washed up or on big money) or front load contracts. Is that even a feasible strategy for the board if they want to be re-elected? Will they be given the time to implement it? From what I've seen it's a no and I'm personally going to be upset (and so are a lot of other people, also just going to throw it out there that there are a lot of people being way too optimistic for this season - if the season goes as expected they're going to turn too) if we're not competitive to make the eight in 2021. If we don't want to wait we have to find players that will break their contract and offer them big money. It's a tough position to be in.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 4 other teams are as poor as us for recruiting for 2020 so far (Warriors, Sea Eagles, Storm and Titans). Some clubs have already purchased for 2021 (Tigers, Souths, Titans). I thought we might have identified a few good young prospects for 2021 and signed them by now but no nothing. I read today an article which said Harry Grant knocked us back recently preferring the Melbourne system. If true we're even having trouble getting the young up and coming players so what hope have we got signing proven game breakers for cheap. Wouldn't we all agree that bringing in players like DWZ can make a hell of a difference. We need more like him but the reality is we're going to have to pay overs - more than any other club is prepared to - for them to come to us.This Dogs DNA requirement thing seems a bit of an excuse.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel like we must be going after players but missing out on them because they do not want to come to our club. Like surely we chased people like Latrell, but why would players of that level come to a club who is not making the finals, has an unproven coach, and no exciting other new signings? We just do not look enticing...

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's obvious recruitment is putting its eggs into 1 basket by choosing to go hard for the 2021 season and beyond

God help them if they miss out on targeted players, not only that but player managers know the dogs will be flushed with funds and inflate contract prices, making it harder to recruit multiple elite players....

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Only 4 other teams are as poor as us for recruiting for 2020 so far (Warriors, Sea Eagles, Storm and Titans). Some clubs have already purchased for 2021 (Tigers, Souths, Titans). I thought we might have identified a few good young prospects for 2021 and signed them by now but no nothing. I read today an article which said Harry Grant knocked us back recently preferring the Melbourne system. If true we're even having trouble getting the young up and coming players so what hope have we got signing proven game breakers for cheap. Wouldn't we all agree that bringing in players like DWZ can make a hell of a difference. We need more like him but the reality is we're going to have to pay overs - more than any other club is prepared to - for them to come to us.This Dogs DNA requirement thing seems a bit of an excuse.
Firstly I think there's stuff people don't know and hence there's a lot of speculation.
A guy like Harry Grant of course would stay in Melbourne - this is Cameron Smith's last year and Grant likely has first shot at the 9 jersey when Smith goes - why uproot your life and move interstate when you've got a plum job waiting for you where you are?
And who knows what people's personal circumstances are - maybe he's got a partner who's settled in Melbourne and doesn't want to leave. To assume that he 'knocked us back because he preferred the Melbourne system' written in some media article is just that - assumption.
I still don't buy the 'have to pay overs' argument. And do we really want to go down that path again? T-Rex was overs and he was rubbish. Foran not rubbish but has not provided ROI. You can't just throw money at players and think that solves your problem.
Even if there's some element of truth to the 'overs' argument - we can't afford it for 2020 - this seems to be a concept that some still can't get their head around. From 2021 is different.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who's on the market for 2021?
it's obvious recruitment is putting its eggs into 1 basket by choosing to go hard for the 2021 season and beyond

God help them if they miss out on targeted players, not only that but player managers know the dogs will be flushed with funds and inflate contract prices, making it harder to recruit multiple elite players....

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly I think there's stuff people don't know and hence there's a lot of speculation.
A guy like Harry Grant of course would stay in Melbourne - this is Cameron Smith's last year and Grant likely has first shot at the 9 jersey when Smith goes - why uproot your life and move interstate when you've got a plum job waiting for you where you are?
And who knows what people's personal circumstances are - maybe he's got a partner who's settled in Melbourne and doesn't want to leave. To assume that he 'knocked us back because he preferred the Melbourne system' written in some media article is just that - assumption.
I still don't buy the 'have to pay overs' argument. And do we really want to go down that path again? T-Rex was overs and he was rubbish. Foran not rubbish but has not provided ROI. You can't just throw money at players and think that solves your problem.
Even if there's some element of truth to the 'overs' argument - we can't afford it for 2020 - this seems to be a concept that some still can't get their head around. 2021 is different.
it is said harry grant to the tigers