Opinion Our club is not an attraction anymore

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Also should we consider our recent history of offloading players mid contract, or only months into a contract in Woods case, affecting our ability to recruit new players?

Would player managers be very wary of us and factor in that to their players?

It's in the past but it takes time to regain trust and confidence.

It's not the new Board's fault. They did a good job clearing out the deadwood to fast track a resurgence but that issue may see us hampered for a bit?
I wouldn't think that would be an issue as pretty much every club has given players permission to leave while still under contract. It's just the way business is done these days across the league.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our club will be, we are the dogs not the Titans we will thrive again. Fuck me dead we just won 5 in a row with an average side we will be up there plus 2020 money talks mofos!

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really....but so many posters here want to fuck off three quarters of the squad by the end of next season?
Same people
Who say ax this guy will say he is good the next week this place has to many negatives seriously fucking shits me to tears sometimes reading the same people bagging out so and so

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our club will be, we are the dogs not the Titans we will thrive again. Fuck me dead we just won 5 in a row with an average side we will be up there plus 2020 money talks mofos!
Money does talk, but a lot of people on here don't want to spend it and magically think decent/marquee players will come to the club for their value. We're the last Sydney club a player is going to sign for. If we're not using location as a reason a player will/won't sign, Titans are the only team I think players wouldn't pick over us currently. We're going to have to overpay, get used to it everyone.

axeman23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that would be an issue as pretty much every club has given players permission to leave while still under contract. It's just the way business is done these days across the league.
Also, if managers are worried BEFORE even signing about their players getting moved on early, maybe that speaks to their players being paper tigers, like Woods turned out to be. In that case, they'd be doing us a favour, really. A player who is as good as he/his manager says he is shouldn't have to fear getting moved on...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Or develop
Throwing developed players into a "shit squad" isn't going to work either. Also what's to stop other clubs buying them from us? If we're a bottom 4 side every year why would they stick around. We'll end up overpaying on our own players, great idea! There's no reason why we can't develop players while overpaying for decent/marquee players. It just speeds up the process... I don't really get "or develop" argument when you can do that at the same time.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Throwing developed players into a "shit squad" isn't going to work either. Also what's to stop other clubs buying them from us? If we're a bottom 4 side every year why would they stick around. We'll end up overpaying on our own players, great idea! There's no reason why we can't develop players while overpaying for decent/marquee players. It just speeds up the process... I don't really get "or develop" argument when you can do that at the same time.
It’s not a shit squad if you have a few decent first graders already which we do then you bring in promising juniors then you can top up with players when they become available and suit our terms. Going out and over paying for average players will mean you can afford to keep juniors once they hit NRL. You keep blurring the lines between who you will over pay for is it just a marquee or decent players? It’s a lot easier to lock up your own talent then attracting it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s not a shit squad if you have a few decent first graders already which we do then you bring in promising juniors then you can top up with players when they become available and suit our terms. Going out and over paying for average players will mean you can afford to keep juniors once they hit NRL. You keep blurring the lines between who you will over pay for is it just a marquee or decent players? It’s a lot easier to lock up your own talent then attracting it.
I'm saying we overpay for Latrell and Fifita, bring in Harry Grant (similar to Knights gamble on Ponga, but to a lesser degree). Then either buy players for value in the future (which mean's we're performing well enough to attract) or we use our "developed" players. We can't just have our current 1-17 and add "developed" players. I'm also saying in our current state we can't attract rejects or players looking for an opportunity unless we overpay on them or no other clubs want them... I agree that we shouldn't overpay for Ramien or Koroisau, but how do we move forward? I think we have to do something similar to what I mentioned just before. There are people that don't want to overpay on any player full stop which is ludicrous.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Or develop
Exactly development should be priority.

Get a group of 5-6 young guns coming through playing together for a few years in lower grade and mix them with a few decent signings when our window opens is the way to go. We are well that track with some of the young players being played in first grade this year. Whats the point of wasting money on marquee signings just for the sake of it. I'm more than happy with were we are. The last half of the season gives me belief there is a plan in action to return us to a top tier club.

I still have ?? over Pay as head coach .He needs a solid start next year similar to our last 8 weeks to even consider resigning him for another year. I hope he does fire thou and continues as coach . However another slow start cant be tolerated.

We do need marquee players but have to be careful with timing and the type of players we choose. In the meantime development and culture should be the main priority.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Exactly development should be priority.

Get a group of 5-6 young guns coming through playing together for a few years in lower grade and mix them with a few decent signings when our window opens is the way to go. We are well that track with some of the young players being played in first grade this year. Whats the point of wasting money on marquee signings just for the sake of it. I'm more than happy with were we are. The last half of the season gives me belief there is a plan in action to return us to a top tier club.

I still have ?? over Pay as head coach .He needs a solid start next year similar to our last 8 weeks to even consider resigning him for another year. I hope he does fire thou and continues as coach . However another slow start cant be tolerated.

We do need marquee players but have to be careful with timing and the type of players we choose. In the meantime development and culture should be the main priority.
You aren't going to sign any decent players without overpaying. Players like Ramien and Koroisau aren't coming to the club (I assume you think they're decent players? The quality of players doesn't really matter. We have to overpay on almost everyone) because we didn't overpay and another Sydney club came in for them. Unless the stars align we ain't getting any new players for value.

We've also X'd 2021 as the season we're going to be hitting the market. Which means the marquee players available are the Trbojevic brothers, Latrell, D. Fifita and Arrow. Add 200-300k on top of what you think they're worth and that's how much we're going to have to pay. That's also assuming no other Sydney clubs come in with the same offer...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm saying we overpay for Latrell and Fifita, bring in Harry Grant (similar to Knights gamble on Ponga, but to a lesser degree). Then either buy players for value in the future (which mean's we're performing well enough to attract) or we use our "developed" players. We can't just have our current 1-17 and add "developed" players. I'm also saying in our current state we can't attract rejects or players looking for an opportunity unless we overpay on them or no other clubs want them...
It all depends on how much you’d have to over pay on players like Latrell and Fifita you’d have to blow the bank on them. I think you’d have to go at least $300k over other offers to get them to even consider it. It’s not worth it. We have to bid out time until the right players become available you don’t seem to like the patient approach but it looks like that’s the way the club is doing it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It all depends on how much you’d have to over pay on players like Latrell and Fifita you’d have to blow the bank on them. I think you’d have to go at least $300k over other offers to get them to even consider it. It’s not worth it. We have to bid out time until the right players become available you don’t seem to like the patient approach but it looks like that’s the way the club is doing it.
I think they're doing that until November hits. Otherwise it's going to be another 5-10 year rebuild in my eyes.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think they're doing that until November hits. Otherwise it's going to be another 5-10 year rebuild in my eyes.
You underestimate what we have coming through if you think it’s going to be 5-10 years. The hard part is done now and we will be back up square one over paying.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You underestimate what we have coming through if you think it’s going to be 5-10 years. The hard part is done now and we will be back up square one over paying.
I guess I do underestimate who we have coming through (I'm adamant, by themselves they're not enough to turn our club back around). I also disagree with being back to square 1 if we overpay on 2 marquee signings. We'll see tho.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Which club has gone through a rebuild without buying other players?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ffs what alarmist bullshit in this thread.

Api had agreed with us, Penrith came at the last second and offered him 100k more, they overpaid for him.

We weren't even aware Penrith were in for him, no one was until the last moment.

We chose not to overpay for him, Penrith chose to overpay for him to steal him from us.

We aren't having problems recruiting. It's not all about the money, the club also wants to stay away from mercenary type players. They are toxic to the playing group because at the first sign of trouble they're looking for an out (trouble doesn't necessarily mean the team performing bad , it could also be that player believing he's worth more).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ffs what alarmist bullshit in this thread.

Api had agreed with us, Penrith came at the last second and offered him 100k more, they overpaid for him.

We weren't even aware Penrith were in for him, no one was until the last moment.

We chose not to overpay for him, Penrith chose to overpay for him to steal him from us.

We aren't having problems recruiting. It's not all about the money, the club also wants to stay away from mercenary type players. They are toxic to the playing group because at the first sign of trouble they're looking for an out (trouble doesn't necessarily mean the team performing bad , it could also be that player believing he's worth more).
We're the last Sydney club a player will come to. Unless they have no other offers or we overpay they ain't coming. The list will get longer, so far we have: Ramien, Koroisau. The last I heard of Ese'ese is he wanted 50-100k more or he's going to the Tigers.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You aren't going to sign any decent players without overpaying. Players like Ramien and Koroisau aren't coming to the club (I assume you think they're decent players? The quality of players doesn't really matter. We have to overpay on almost everyone) because we didn't overpay and another Sydney club came in for them. Unless the stars align we ain't getting any new players for value.

We've also X'd 2021 as the season we're going to be hitting the market. Which means the marquee players available are the Trbojevic brothers, Latrell, D. Fifita and Arrow. Add 200-300k on top of what you think they're worth and that's how much we're going to have to pay. That's also assuming no other Sydney clubs come in with the same offer...
I totally understand your point of view.

I personally don't see Ramien and Koroisau as players to pay overs for. If they signed with us for what we thought they were worth then yes i would have them , they didn't so lets move on. I feel the club has made some astute buys already without paying overs.Players like DWZ, CHN, Stimpson ,Cogger we have some great new talent already blooded players like Smith, Toomaga, Lewis etc. We have some great experienced players in the club Players like Foran,Tolman, Jackson, Hopoate.

I hope the club plays the patient game and rebuilds for the future so that we are a force for the next 10-20yrs not just for 1-2 seasons.

The Anderson ticket has experience , they were part of the building of the foundations of the Storm, They rebuilt our club after the success off the 80's in the 90's. They have also been apart of other clubs like the Sharks and roosters all how were successful when they were there all after they left.

I'm more than happy to trust there teams judgement on who we need and get. Im here for the long game if it takes another 2-3 yrs to return to the top then so be it. Its Job we need to get right ,patience is the key..., Paying overs and sacking coaches mid term isn't the way you rebuild a champion club.... Building culture and developing young players is the way to go so when the time is right you can get those marquee players we need to be no.1 again.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I totally understand your point of view.

I personally don't see Ramien and Koroisau as players to pay overs for. If they signed with us for what we thought they were worth then yes i would have them , they didn't so lets move on. I feel the club has made some astute buys already without paying overs.Players like DWZ, CHN, Stimpson ,Cogger we have some great new talent already blooded players like Smith, Toomaga, Lewis etc. We have some great experienced players in the club Players like Foran,Tolman, Jackson, Hopoate.

I hope the club plays the patient game and rebuilds for the future so that we are a force for the next 10-20yrs not just for 1-2 seasons.

The Anderson ticket has experience , they were part of the building of the foundations of the Storm, They rebuilt our club after the success off the 80's in the 90's. They have also been apart of other clubs like the Sharks and roosters all how were successful when they were there all after they left.

I'm more than happy to trust there teams judgement on who we need and get. Im here for the long game if it takes another 2-3 yrs to return to the top then so be it. Its Job we need to get right ,patience is the key..., Paying overs and sacking coaches mid term isn't the way you rebuild a champion club.... Building culture and developing young players is the way to go so when the time is right you can get those marquee players we need to be no.1 again.
DWZ wanted to go to the Tigers, but they couldn't move Mbye on. DWZ then wanted to go to the Eels, but they couldn't offer him a Fullback spot (Gutherson). DWZ was also a mid season signing, which meant his hand was forced (otherwise he's playing reserve grade right now). I don't know the CHN situation well enough to talk about him (I do know Gus said CHN got an offer that he couldn't stand in his way with, which must mean it was a very good offer for the player, $ or opportunity that he couldn't get elsewhere). The rest of the players you named that we signed aren't good enough to take us forward on their own. We need decent/marquee players in the squad. The quickest (and only) way to do that is overpay on 2 marquee players and see who follows them and how we compete in the following seasons. Maybe then we'll be able to sign reject players for their value (Koroisau, Ramien, etc). The Anderson's also came out and said in 2021 they'd be building the club around a goal kicker and a forward. Latrell and Fifita (or Arrow) would fit that build. I also have no problem with the coach and would only upgrade him if someone with the pedigree like Flanagan was available. The position/situation we're in is a mess and that's the same reason why we can't attract players. I'd really love to be proven wrong about this, but I just don't see it atm with everything I've seen/know.

Last edited: