Okunbor dropped please

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He was great the first two weeks, but seems to be completely down on confidence.

I’d definitely take him over our other options st his best. The question is, is he capable of producing it?

I’d give him one more week.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The way this **** rushed off his wing when the second rower had it , guy has zero idea
Classic case of panicing in defence when he doesn't need too.

Holland's giving him fuck all help though.

Hence I reckon Holland to bench to replace Lichaa, move CHN inside of Okunbor, and bring in another second rower like RFM.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He copped some sh!t passes against Souths, can’t hold that against the young bloke. Thought he did some tough carries coming out our own half that warrants acknowledgement.

What cracks me up is no one said sh!t against the storm when he steamrolled Cameron Smith twice and ran for 200m+ and all of a sudden, he’s the issue? Seriously, reality is, we are still building and these guys need experience.

I was at the game and saw some obvious problems:
Holland ball hogs.
Lichaa’s service and game awareness was poor.
We reverted to a lot of one out footy inside attacking zones.

What happened to the expansive style we utilised against Wests Tigers and Storm?? Vanished.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Mentally fatigued. It's hard for our rookies to be up. He has had a lot of press as well. Prob needs a stint in reserves like a few others but No one to come up.
Lewis is The same . Needs a couple game stint in reserves but we lack depth . This is the worst position I have seen the club in . We won't get better with players struggling to turn up and deal with fg . Spoon is 98% ours unless there is a salary cap bust and someone losses points.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Classic case of panicing in defence when he doesn't need too.

Holland's giving him fuck all help though.

Hence I reckon Holland to bench to replace Lichaa, move CHN inside of Okunbor, and bring in another second rower like RFM.
Why don’t we try Holland and Smith combo again...

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He copped some sh!t passes against Souths, can’t hold that against the young bloke. Thought he did some tough carries coming out our own half that warrants acknowledgement.

What cracks me up is no one said sh!t against the storm when he steamrolled Cameron Smith twice and ran for 200m+ and all of a sudden, he’s the issue? Seriously, reality is, we are still building and these guys need experience.

I was at the game and saw some obvious problems:
Holland ball hogs.
Lichaa’s service and game awareness was poor.
We reverted to a lot of one out footy inside attacking zones.

What happened to the expansive style we utilised against Wests Tigers and Storm?? Vanished.
We get so fatigued from defending, that our decision making and execution in attack is woeful. That’s also the reason our support play is non existent, if they weren’t so gassed they’d be pushing up in support, so on the rare occasion someone breaks the line or gets an off load away they can capitalize on it.

Against Melbourne our control was much better as we completed sets, got a few repeat sets with deft short kicking in the red zone, actually made the opposition work in defense by moving the ball and didn’t give away piggy back penalties.

It’s not that hard a game, do the basics right and you give yourself a chance, yesterday they played with good spirit and intent, but the game management is abysmal. We desperately need some smart experienced footballers in our squad to help these kids out

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why don’t we try Holland and Smith combo again...
Lol don't start me on this. How on earth Pay thought it was a good idea to split these two up is beyond me, I can't find a logical reason to even consider it.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol don't start me on this. How on earth Pay thought it was a good idea to split these two up is beyond me, I can't find a logical reason to even consider it.
I was trying to figure it out after the game thought maybe 50 game Holland’s experience would help the other side but then realised he was replaced by the more experienced Hopoate so fucked if I know why we went away from it. Maybe Hopoate can’t play one side of the field ....

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I said this when you were on your 2 month ban lol.

To split them up AND then to partner Smith with a not very good winger (monty)having his first dig at Centre was mind boggling.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love seeing Okunbor with some momentum and the ball in hand. But his handling can be attrocious. He's a monster to stop though and when he has a good day it's a massive help. So I don't know if I want him dropped or not. He's got shades of vatuvei about him.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sure Holland has issues in D but he had struck up a decent combo with Smith.

Pay then decided to split them leaving us TWO new wing Centre combos instead of one. Smh

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man everyone was salivating at him after Tigers and Storm games.

I think you've all forgotten what's involved in nurturing young players into first graders.

In a perfect world with a perfect team youd slowly let him grow in Reserve Grade or off the bench. We cant do neither because we have no depth.

Be patient with this squad and seriously in 2 years we'll be the envy of sides.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I love seeing Okunbor with some momentum and the ball in hand. But his handling can be attrocious. He's a monster to stop though and when he has a good day it's a massive help. So I don't know if I want him dropped or not. He's got shades of vatuvei about him.
That’s looking through rose colored glasses, love your positivity but let’s not be delusional. Vautuvei would pick up and carry Okunbor

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I was trying to figure it out after the game thought maybe 50 game Holland’s experience would help the other side but then realised he was replaced by the more experienced Hopoate so fucked if I know why we went away from it. Maybe Hopoate can’t play one side of the field ....
Hoppa looks fine playing fullback on either side of the field, surely centre won't be an issue?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jayden does have a shocker in him and has in lower grades too but he doesn’t dwell on it and usually bounces back. He is a rough diamond and there are things in his game that need to be ironed out but he does have the intangibles to be a very good winger. With the other options we have I’d much rather give him a chance to settle in and bounce back.

Blaming him for the defensive issues is a cop out you can keep changing wingers to the cows come home and we will still have problems. The structures we are using are way too loose on the edges it’s been a problem since Pay arrived.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He’s been solid in the centre this season but he had some shockers there last year. Was that a different side?
Played right side last season also. Think it was more an issue of our poor defensive system leaving too much time and space on the edges for the attack. A combo of Montoya, Hoppa and Foran also didn't have anywhere near the speed or lateral movement to cover that much space effectively and a single bad decision was continually punished.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What do you do though, we’re devoid of options.

CHN to centre and Holland to the wing is an option?

I don’t know man, Harper is not ready and Crichton and Montoya are hopeless...

Both montoya and Crichton are better options at this stage.

The bloke is a dud who can’t frickin even catch a ball