Official Bulldogs vs Raiders NRL Trial - Sat 23rd Feb - Discussion Thread

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep - I said the same during the game. Olive's defensive reads were TERRIBLE and it was making Okunbur look like a spastic.
If he had a reliable centre inside, then it would be easier to make a call.
Olive cannot get a start now after that abysmal showing which demonstrates he hasnt noticeably improved this aspect of his game.

I would be drilling him with high balls at training relentlessly to test this. In all conditions, lighting, etc.

Word.
Said earlier Harper should have been a straight swap for Olive in the top 30 instead of wasting that last spot. Coaching staff know how to make some clangers alright..

Let em Rain! Lets hope CC is half elmasri half utai lol

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is Olive in our top 30? Christ! I've not seen a more unenthused looking player

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yes he is unfortunately. I wish the club would find a spot for him and Taulau in the Sl, every dollar saved is a extra dollar in our cap.
Widnes Vikings got relegated, they were probably our best chance. Hull KR could use Taulau. Dunno who would take Olive though Hull could be an option as Fetuli Talinoa is still kicking over there and not getting any younger

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We are actually yet to see if hoppa has gained any pace due to weight loss..
He is never going to be electric, which is the bare minimum to be an NRL level 1.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes he is unfortunately. I wish the club would find a spot for him and Taulau in the Sl, every dollar saved is a extra dollar in our cap.
Why didn’t we keep Burr? He killed it in first trial for Warriors

He was consistent last year in ISP and never got a crack in FG

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After watching the trial, Hoppa needs to stay at fullback.
His strengths are his positional play at the back, very safe and he's very creative with the ball.
And for someone who is apparently very slow he still manages to punch out a lot of meters with his carries.
At times last year his meters gained were on par with Klemmer's.
By far he's the best fullback option at the club.
Meaney is still very young and has a lot of time to make the fullback spot his own, but not now, no way infront of Hoppa ATM.

Hoppa is wasted in the centres if played there. He's just not a centre.
Last year when he was playing in the centres people forget how bad his defence was.
As much as you need pace in attack, you need it just as much when defending in the centres.
Defending in the centres is very hard, you need pace to jam in(up and in style) and cut the ball off, or in a holding defensive structure you need quick lateral movement to slide.
The first half of the year last year when Mbye was playing fullback, Hoppa was playing in the centres, our right side defence was terrible, we had opposing centres and edge back rowers running around him.

One game when I really noticed his bad defence in the centres was the roosters game when we lost 6-0. Have a look at his attempt on Latrell Mitchell when Micthell scored the rooster's one and only try.
I know Mitchell is a handfull to contain, but just look at the attempted tackle.

The only other position other than fullback that I would consider playing Hoppa is maybe on the wing. Purely for his carries early in the tackle count because he does make meters and because he's safe under the highball regarding attacking crossfield kicks to our wing. I feel Crichton might get exposed in that area. Hoppa also has an uncanny ability with ball in hand to finish off a try close to the line.
Mate you are conveniently forgetting the numerous mistakes and bad reads or lack of recovery speed to get to a kick in behind that led directly to trys over the past 2 years.

He is not an NRL quality fullback period, we need to invest in speed and the future.

You just compared is run meter to a prop to suggest he has speed! Dead set you just wrote an essay that should be titled NFI.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Burr thing is a real mystery
I thought he had a fantastic season last year in reserve grade
Such a strong runner,very hard to take down

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Would have really liked him and Sue as our bench props. Ogden was ok, but could do with another season in cup

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate you are conveniently forgetting the numerous mistakes and bad reads or lack of recovery speed to get to a kick in behind that led directly to trys over the past 2 years.
He is not an NRL quality fullback period, we need to invest in speed and the future.
You just compared is run meter to a prop to suggest he has speed! Dead set you just wrote an essay that should be titled NFI.
And you are conveniently forgetting how many areas in which Hopoate is the best player in our team. Using any measure he’s better than more than half the fullbacks in the league.

Moving on, who do think is currently available that’s a better fullback than Hopoate?

Go Dogs

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Second phase play was awesome too

Fk I hope he doesn’t tear us a new one in round one

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second phase play was awesome too

Fk I hope he doesn’t tear us a new one in round one
I’m assuming the fact we bought a few players up front is why he is gone
I think he was just as good if not better
The new players are average

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My take on Burr;
He is 27 years old this year.
He made his NRL debut in 2013.
Since then he has played for the Titans, Centurians, Eagles, Bulldogs and now Warriors.

That history tells me a story, a good ISP player but like many he has found the next step up difficult.

Go Dogs

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We can’t compare Hoppa and nick
The fact he played several games in the top grade last year would put him in a good position
His speed and the fact it’s a rebuild year was enough to throw him in

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take on Burr;
He is 27 years old this year.
He made his NRL debut in 2013.
Since then he has played for the Titans, Centurians, Eagles, Bulldogs and now Warriors.

That history tells me a story, a good ISP player but like many he has found the next step up difficult.

Go Dogs
Yeh your right
27 is not too bad,Gallen is 38 this year
Just seemed like a guy who stepped up last year
But we have to move on with our current squad and have faith in Dean

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And you are conveniently forgetting how many areas in which Hopoate is the best player in our team. Using any measure he’s better than more than half the fullbacks in the league.

Moving on, who do think is currently available that’s a better fullback than Hopoate?

Go Dogs
Hoppa is better than 1/2 the fullbacks in the comp!... Lol... I refer to the title of your essay once again.