Weddings

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm currently planning my wedding for October. We're keeping it cheap 'cause we both would prefer spending the money on a decent honeymoon.

We have a mate who has a decent farm and vineyard in the Hunter Valley so we're hosting an afternoon wedding there, having a decent rustic BBQ for the guests, white ornaments everywhere and thousands of battery operated lights (string lights, ball lights) plus fire pits for when it gets dark.

Then we're just setting up some fun little games for the guests and providing a shit load of alcohol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We're also hiring a booze bus for anyone that needs a ride back to their hotel or train station, but we're setting up a bunch of tents too so people can get hammered and crash on the farm.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not too sure what your budget is, none of my business, but some people make/create their own invitations. It's more time consuming but it will save you money.

I told the missus to do that but apparently my last name is Gates...

Honestly, another piece of advice is don't feel obligated to invite people. I'm Assyrian and we have a tradition of inviting people you walked by accidentally once 40 years ago. Our numbers swell to about 800+ people. Fuck that.

Our wedding was Assyrian/Maltese so it would've been huge. Our venue, Doltone House Jones Bay Wharf, only held roughly 130 people so it made our invitation list easier. Had our families and some friends and that was it.
A mate recently had a wedding in India that I couldn't make 'cause of work shit. But he invited me and about 6 other people including family. The bride invited 2,300 people and had 2,000 turn up.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A mate recently had a wedding in India that I couldn't make 'cause of work shit. But he invited me and about 6 other people including family. The bride invited 2,300 people and had 2,000 turn up.
The venue was a single train carriage in true indian style.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Congrats. Been married for 25 years myself and i tell you - you get less for murder in this country. My advice is simple.
Change your username to PoorsoulL - on or after the big day.
Don't spend too much money on the wedding day - the divorce tends to cost 5 times as much.
The future wife gets what the future wife wants - otherwise the money spent on the engagement ring and the wedding ring will come nowhere near the cost of the suffer-ring.
Enjoy the day - at the end you'll be happily married. Or atleast she will be happy and you will be...... just married.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One piece of marriage advice: Don't waste time fighting with each other. It achieves nothing. Instead invest time finding a solution the the problem that is making you want to fight.

If something fires up between you, go your own directions to cool off and think of a solution, then come back together with a clear head and figure out a solution together.

I'm currently planning my wedding for October
Congrats as well..

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
One piece of marriage advice: Don't waste time fighting with each other. It achieves nothing. Instead invest time finding a solution the the problem that is making you want to fight.

If something fires up between you, go your own directions to cool off and think of a solution, then come back together with a clear head and figure out a solution together.

Congrats as well..
Seriously - that is so true. Never go to bed angry at one another.
"Make up sex" if far better and more passionate then "hallway sex"
- that's when you pass each other in the hallway and tell each other to get f@#ked.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm currently planning my wedding for October. We're keeping it cheap 'cause we both would prefer spending the money on a decent honeymoon.

We have a mate who has a decent farm and vineyard in the Hunter Valley so we're hosting an afternoon wedding there, having a decent rustic BBQ for the guests, white ornaments everywhere and thousands of battery operated lights (string lights, ball lights) plus fire pits for when it gets dark.

Then we're just setting up some fun little games for the guests and providing a shit load of alcohol.
My condolen... I mean congratulations lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
At all. Fuck them in their moot. I'll only eat them if I can't taste them.
Your moot smells like onions.

You eat the McRib don't you? It wouldn't be nothing without the onions.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha. Fuck off. They're filth. It's all you fucking taste.

McRib, no onions extra pickles.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Haha. Fuck off. They're filth. It's all you fucking taste.

McRib, no onions extra pickles.
You think you fucking know someone.

Next you'll come out and say you hate garlic and chilli...

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You think you fucking know someone.

Next you'll come out and say you hate garlic and chilli...
Fuck that. Chili is like sex, except I have it.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
@FreshSoulL, another piece of advice: make sure you insist on cash as gifts. Have it on the invitation.

Oh, and make sure you have a kitchen tea. Go to Myer or David Jones and go nuts. Register everything.

I registered a sound bar, no one got it for me. Fucking Assyrian and Maltese tightasses. I'm sure if I registered bags of concrete I would've got it. "from Charlie, Joe, Charli, Jo, Charlie-Joe, Charli-Jo and CharJo."

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha love the sibling banter and wow 2 weddings coming up!! I'm excited for both of you.
My advice is don't go too cheap ..live it up it's her I mean both of yours big day.. Save later don't skimp on your wedding to spend more on a honeymoon..a honeymoon is just a holiday really. A wedding is a statement of your tastes, a celebration, a day of happiness that lasts a lifetime.