The Formula One Thread

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Shit yeah.... love me some Spa Francorchamps action.... most beautiful race track on the calendar in my opinion.

Apparently Bottas has to start at back of the grid.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortunately hamilton showing seb again how to drive in the wet :( ... Well done to FI, second row lock out.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately hamilton showing seb again how to drive in the wet :( ... Well done to FI, second row lock out.
Talk about a fluke ... just happens to have the track dry up on him so he can belt out a lap.

I sense chaos with Ocon and Perez that high up.... first corner could get rather interesting.

I still reckon there is something amiss with the Merc though... maybe different engine tunes between qualifying sessions?

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't seb have a flying lap after ham put in his pole lap(maybe i was just half asleep and he didn't lol)? i know kimi and the two RB fucked up the fuel levels and didn't get that last run on the drying track. The merc engine, that is the infamous party mode they enable in either Q2 or Q3. Ocon, perez, max lol that has all the hallmarks of a fun first corner.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One thing in all this I DO NOT agree with, was Bottas being allowed to participate in qualifying. He was punished to start the race at back of grid for forcing Stoffel's Mclaren off the track in practice.

Instead he was allowed to dent other teams hope of Q2/Q3 progression, and get in the way of other cars allowing Hamilton clean air.

TOTALLY unfair.

Didn't seb have a flying lap after ham put in his pole lap(maybe i was just half asleep and he didn't lol)? i know kimi and the two RB fucked up the fuel levels and didn't get that last run on the drying track. The merc engine, that is the infamous party mode they enable in either Q2 or Q3. Ocon, perez, max lol that has all the hallmarks of a fun first corner.
About 9 minutes of Q3 (12 minutes total) it was raining/absolutely pissing down, so most teams were running the wet weather tyre, Hamilton included.

Mercedes brought him into the pits when he was sitting in like 6th position, with about 4-5 minutes left in the session. Hamilton came out with still a bit of water on track on the inter at that time (evidenced by missing a corner completely), and about 2 minutes before the end of the session the track dried up. Most other cars were still on the wets because track was so damp, and positionally weren't able to get back into the pits change tyres, and put out a flying lap (not enough time).

That's why Ferrari did a 2 minute lap (to that point nobody had put a decent lap in), and as it dried up Kimi went into pits (and didn't have enough fuel to get out), and Vettel was still on wets. Racing Point Force India were the only other team in the pits and able to change to inters and get enough time in.

Most other teams if they got out were only on warm up lap at the time.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah agree with bottas thing, shouldn't been in qualy, all he was doing (as you said) was stealing someone else place but also giving ham a free tow up the hill.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fucks sake...
Ricciardo race screwed.
Kimi race screwed.
Alonso race over.
Hulkenberg race over.
LeClerc race over.

Alonso VERY lucky, ditto LeClerc.

upload_2018-8-26_23-24-27.png

Chaos nice and early :grinning:

Ocon looking sharp and Vettel seems to have cracking straight line pace over the Merc at the moment.

Downhill Skier

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fucks sake...
Ricciardo race screwed.
Kimi race screwed.
Alonso race over.
Hulkenberg race over.
LeClerc race over.

Alonso VERY lucky, ditto LeClerc.

View attachment 7094

Chaos nice and early :grinning:

Ocon looking sharp and Vettel seems to have cracking straight line pace over the Merc at the moment.
I fell asleep before the race (Had to get up 330 for work) . Did Ricciardo crash, I just figured it was another mechanical issue.

Downhill Skier

Waterboy
Reaction score
He not going to get much love from Red Bull for the rest of the season. Might be a tough second half of the year

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
He not going to get much love from Red Bull for the rest of the season. Might be a tough second half of the year
Maybe so, though I'm still not sure what I think of him going to Reno. I just want to see him do well and be competitive.

Downhill Skier

Waterboy
Reaction score
Maybe so, though I'm still not sure what I think of him going to Reno. I just want to see him do well and be competitive.
I am neither here nor there TBH. Red Bull is going to be an unknown next year with the Honda engines and Renault is at least a factory team and always manage to find a winning formula. I just hope it's still while Daniel is there.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am neither here nor there TBH. Red Bull is going to be an unknown next year with the Honda engines and Renault is at least a factory team and always manage to find a winning formula. I just hope it's still while Daniel is there.
Yeah you are right about that. He has jumped out of Redbull at the right time. A few mates of mine who follow f1 better then I do reckon the Redbulls may struggle next season.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I fell asleep before the race (Had to get up 330 for work) . Did Ricciardo crash, I just figured it was another mechanical issue.
His back wing got smashed when alonso got launched heading into turn 1, than he got a bump from behind and took part of his front wing out on kimi (also gave kimi a puncture). When he pitted to fix the damage he ended up a couple laps down, than after 30 laps or something they just retired the car with a "mechanical" issue.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah you are right about that. He has jumped out of Redbull at the right time. A few mates of mine who follow f1 better then I do reckon the Redbulls may struggle next season.
Yeah next season presents an interesting challenge with RB running with Honda, i think their over-all goal is to put up with perhaps a bit of short term pain for long term gains. The honda PU has made decent gains this year and is not really that far off Reault, not impossible they could catch up to Renault next season.

Next season the aero rules are also changing with dumbed down front wings and a few other things designed to make it easier to follow other cars, not really known how this will effect a team like RB that have a weak engine but strong aero. Than there is the big regulation changes coming for 2021 which still haven't even been agreed upon yet, this is more what they are planning for with the move to honda, also now they will somewhat be a 'works' team again now they will get a bit more sway with the negotiations with these new regulations.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The reason they retired Dan was because they can do a full engine swap before Monza, without any penalty, as he didn't complete the race :grinning:

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah dan is going to the back of the grid at monza with penalties :cry: , they are getting everything all sorted so they can have a real crack at Singapore.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Nah dan is going to the back of the grid at monza with penalties :cry: , they are getting everything all sorted so they can have a real crack at Singapore.
I thought they gave him a new engine not that long ago, then the following race the brand new engine shit itself, so the next race they reverted back to the older engine... and Renault were going to try and upgrade the spec engine to the new one.

and now yet again they are replacing the engine. Who knows, he's had that many screwups with Renault engines this year it's become a joke.

Last year in Monza he went from 16th to 4th, and apparently (just read) that RBR's thinking is Monza requires straight line speed (something Dan has complained about). They are fitting a brand new engine with latest upgrades, in hope of giving him more pace. The idea behind the early retirement is similar to what happened to Bottas (he's the first back of grid for next race). So if any other drivers have issues in P1/P2/P3/Quali, Dan will be ahead of them anyway (and with a brand new engine).