The Formula One Thread

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought they gave him a new engine not that long ago, then the following race the brand new engine shit itself, so the next race they reverted back to the older engine... and Renault were going to try and upgrade the spec engine to the new one.

and now yet again they are replacing the engine. Who knows, he's had that many screwups with Renault engines this year it's become a joke.

Last year in Monza he went from 16th to 4th, and apparently (just read) that RBR's thinking is Monza requires straight line speed (something Dan has complained about). They are fitting a brand new engine with latest upgrades, in hope of giving him more pace. The idea behind the early retirement is similar to what happened to Bottas (he's the first back of grid for next race). So if any other drivers have issues in P1/P2/P3/Quali, Dan will be ahead of them anyway (and with a brand new engine).
Never over estimate how long a Renault PU can last :laughing: anyways at the end of this article they talk about it https://www.planetf1.com/news/more-pain-for-ricciardo-with-monza-penalty/

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon I've got more chance winning lotto, than a Reanult engine lasting a full race season!

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There was a good quote from christian horner after the race, he was having another go at renault about the power diff vs merc/ferrari "You can see the gap to Ferrari and Mercedes… you just heard Lewis [Hamilton] moaning about Ferrari, I nearly got my violin out." :laughing::laughing:

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just an update on that monza penalty for dan, he is actually getting the new Spec C PU (no-one has used it yet) as he is due a new PU, if it doesn't blow up during fridays practice than max will be using it from Saturday as well. McLaren will not be using this new spec C PU this year by the sounds of it as it requires modifications to the car to fit it, i guess they have just given up for the year lol. Anyways, hopefully renault have found some more power out of it, surely they have as there is little point bringing a new spec PU that requires car modifications to use it for no gains.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just an update on that monza penalty for dan, he is actually getting the new Spec C PU (no-one has used it yet) as he is due a new PU, if it doesn't blow up during fridays practice than max will be using it from Saturday as well. McLaren will not be using this new spec C PU this year by the sounds of it as it requires modifications to the car to fit it, i guess they have just given up for the year lol. Anyways, hopefully renault have found some more power out of it, surely they have as there is little point bringing a new spec PU that requires car modifications to use it for no gains.
Oooooohhhh.. heres hoping it's as good an upgrade as the Ferraris. Feck they were quick last weekend.

Found this:

An inevitable grid demotion had been looming for Ricciardo, so the opportunity to sample Renault's new C-spec power unit shall be tactically taken advantage of at the Italian venue, although for now, the Aussie is scheduled to be the sole recipient of the engine, with Verstappen perhaps making the switch if the unit proves satisfactory.
Once again Dan the guinea pig if it all goes to shit... and chances are it will because..
Interestingly, the works Renault outfit won't be using the latest upgrade given that it has not been certified as sufficiently reliable by Renault Sport boss Cyril Abiteboul who wants to keep the team in the running for fourth in the Constructor's standings.
And from the sounds of it, when it does go, it'll be heat related (which is great with Singapore coming up) so expect a fire!
"There’s a significant amount of cost that’s gone into integrating the engine into the car, because [of] cooling etc., so if there is any performance, which it looks like there is with our fuel partner, we’re happy to take that risk.
"We’ll run the engine on Friday, and then make a decision on Friday evening as to whether we retain it.
Is it any wonder Dans leaving. Apparently Max is still running the Spec A unit (the original one from start of the year). Dan was running the SpecB (which kept shittng itself).

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually to be fair to Renault, one of the parts RB have had fail multiple times is the mgu-k, Renault do have a new spec mgu-k but so far RB have refused to use it as it too requires modifications to the car to make it fit, so they are knowingly using an old unreliable spec mgu-k (i think it is from 2016 actually) than complaining when it blows up. It should also be noted RB use a different fuel/oil than renault/mclaren, renault have said multiple times they are not getting the best out of the PU because of this.

*Edit:

Oh yeah @Mr Invisible max is definitely running the Spec B PU too, it has some power gains over the original Spec A

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just read the latest thoughts about the driver market from SkySports. Sounds like Marcus Ericcson might be the one to miss out.

They reckon..
Ericcson out at Sauber. Vandoorne replacing him.
Ocon to McLaren alongside Sainz Jnr (Mercedes want to keep Ocon in the sport).
Stroll to Racing Point Force India alongside Perez.
Kubica to Williams alongside Sirtokin.

and the best news...Ferrari expected to announce contract renewal for Kimi in coming weeks!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeClerc likely to stay at Sauber (suprised that Williams didn't have a crack at him).

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I have to say that would be rather surprising (not doubting the info btw) because Vandoorne is a McLaren jnr and obviously Ocon is a mercedes driver, you wonder why McLaren would want to help mercedes out when they have Norris waiting in the wings and they refused to let Norris leave and join toro rosso, perhaps they think he is not ready and are running with the safe bet of Ocon for now till he is. All the rest makes sense though.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah not sure what the story is there. Apparently Toto Wolff has personally got involved to try and ensure Ocon gets a seat next year, and Ocon has been spotted seat fitting at McLaren.

Sky Sports are pretty accurate normally, as compared to Autosport (that German rag).

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I can see why RB are going to give that new PU a crack this weekend, Taffin from Renault said It's significantly more powerful and depending on fuel should be worth around 0.3s a lap in qauli around monza. Renault are still worried about reliability with it though. RB are still refusing to use the new more reliable spec mgu-k though.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting times ahead. Apparently McLaren (according to SkySports) are consider Perez for the second seat.

Almost as bad as NRL signings rumours.

Autosport would be like the NRL Lurker :D

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck me!!

DRS stuck open for Ericsson and he has a massive prang!

Massive crash, but goes to show how well the safety side of things are with these cars as Ericsson walked away uninjured.

I'm guessing with the DRS open there was no down force on the backend which pushed the backend out?

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
"Kimi you are pole" .."thankyou" lol well at least they got a reply from him

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How funny was Vettel.... Celebrates like he's on pole and then realises Kimi pipped him. Fastest lap in F1 history by Kimi too!

Massive crash, but goes to show how well the safety side of things are with these cars as Ericsson walked away uninjured.

I'm guessing with the DRS open there was no down force on the backend which pushed the backend out?
They described it in the pre race show like as if a parachute deployed on one side of the car, so pulled the car straight sideways. It was a two stage DRS failure (both sides didn't close, but one closed more than the other).

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Anyone noticed there was damage in his halo. I hated those halos but 2 weeks straight they have saved potential driver injuries

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone noticed there was damage in his halo. I hated those halos but 2 weeks straight they have saved potential driver injuries
Yeah amazing how little damage there was in both crashes.

Ericsson I think it was dirt/paint off the halo. LeClerc it was tyre.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hamilton playing bumper cars again I see.

What a suprise ... FIA no action against "either driver".