The Formula One Thread

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Called it hahaha..

Come on Vettel this could get juicy!!

Once again Dan the guinea pig if it all goes to shit... and chances are it will because..
Interestingly, the works Renault outfit won't be using the latest upgrade given that it has not been certified as sufficiently reliable by Renault Sport boss Cyril Abiteboul who wants to keep the team in the running for fourth in the Constructor's standings.
And from the sounds of it, when it does go, it'll be heat related (which is great with Singapore coming up) so expect a fire!

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh yeah another one, Renault were correct about the haas, Grosjean disqualified, so for the first time this season williams gets 2 cars in the points.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if that's just Renault covering their own arse or not and trying to distance themselves from things.

Didn't RBR say they were seeing how RIC went before deciding to upgrade VER to SPEC C motor?

Which would have lead to penalties!?!

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah that is what i thought also @Mr Invisible , i was sure max was sitting right on the limit for the ICE and Turbo, so replacing those components would have cost him grid places, NFI what is going on? RBR did say after friday the new spec engine delivered what Renault said it would, and they said before friday if it worked they would give one to max. Given the qually gap between RB and the top 2(over a second), i would think if Renault wanted to cover themselves they would say max was running the Spec B so it doesn't look like the gap is still bloody huge lol , as before not sure what is going on.

*Edit:

Here is the list of components used, so turns out max wasn't over the limit by the look of it https://maxf1.net/en/2018-f1-power-unit-elements-usage/ .. that chart specifically says after the Italian GP and it shows max didn't take a new TC (only the ICE)so that is how he avoided the grid penalty as he is already at the limit for the TC.

*Edit2:
Because i am such a nerd, it is confirmed here by the FIA (do note it is a direct link to a PDF doc) https://www.fia.com/file/72363/download?token=J-spHaHT .. yeah RB def changed max ICE only on the Saturday according to that doc and he had used only 2 previously.

Last edited:

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So yeah after that edit 2, it does actually make sense now why RB made dan be the guinea pig for the new spec c, if it did fail than no biggie, just give dan a new ICE again (spec b) because he was getting the grid penalty if it worked or if it didn't and that way they wouldn't waste a grid penalty on max giving him a lemon for no reason. The only conclusion is, this grid penalty shit is out of control, i spent 30 minutes finding all that out, good luck casual viewer :laughing: :laughing:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Shit that was fast.. they only just announced Vandoorne wouldn't be driving for them.

Ocon will get a seat somewhere... he's got half the grid and team principals working on it.

You know ... I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Haas. Maybe replace Magnussen (whose bog average and a real arrogant arsehole).

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah agree, if he is forced out of FI would heaps prefer to see him in the haas than say a lowly williams (same with perez if it goes that way).

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Williams kill me. I get how there drivers just buy the seats and are rubbish

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Kimi is leaving ferrari @Mr Invisible http://formula1.ferrari.com/en/kimi-raikkonen-to-step-down-at-the-end-of-2018/ ... do note it doesn't say retiring, so straight swap for Leclerc? or maybe even into haas? According to reports before Sergio passed away he already signed Leclerc or come to some sort of agreement with him, so most likely what is going to happen.

*edit: ok officially to sauber for kimi https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/k...for-the-alfa-romeo-sauber-f1-team-from-2019-2 so obviously Leclerc will be announced very soon to ferrari.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah very interesting... Sauber run an older spec Ferrari engine, but if they can get the same spec next season, Sauber could be on the up.

Add in someone like Ocon alongside Kimi and all they need are competitive cars.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh sauber do run the latest spec ferrari PU, it was last year that they ran a year old spec. When alfa romeo come on-board as a sponsor that brought with it the latest spec PU, which given sergio was the CEO of both FCA and Ferrari at the same time is no great surprise. It is why sauber have been more competitive this year

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah not sure on that one (got the info from Wikipedia) so hard to know if it's right or not.

It reckoned Ferrari running Spec 062-A and Sauber running Spec 063 engines.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As before it was a deal when alpha romeo joined up, sergio marchionne was the ceo of both companies involved. Anyways straight from the horses mouth https://www.sauberf1team.com/race-cars/c37 "Furthermore, the C37 will compete in the Formula One Chamiponship with Ferrari’s 2018 spec power units, a positive step forward for the new season"