Status
Not open for further replies.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He went looking for the pill so he's already looking better than Mbye
He certainly wanted to get involved. Defence definitely needs work but looking forward to seeing him play more.

Grimace

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This kid looked good tonight for the Knights. Yes it's only his 1st game but looked good under the high ball and his overal positioning was good. Looks promising for the dogs.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watched the second half specifically to see how Meaney played.

Positives.
Looks pretty comfortable with kick reception and traveled a long way to take some of the catches.
Saw him looking to get involved often which is a good sign.
Showed some paceon a couple of occasions.
Doesn't lack confidence.
Maybe displayed a glimpse of vision when he took a nice DH run and broke a tackle in the process.

Negatives.
Was struggling against cramp with 20 to go. Can be fixed with a good offseason. He's got lpenty of company in this, plenty of seasoned players were cramping up out there. In his defence he was mostly taking his chance to stretch when the forwards were attacking.
Looks small. This is also something that the club can work on during the off-season. He's probably at the age when he's going to fill out properly soon.
He fumbled a grubber in a high pressure situation. He did manage to ground the ball to prevent the try though. Patten came to the club with a reputation for struggling to field grubbers, but we fixed that in the offseason before he made his debut for us. No reason to think that he always has issues with grubbers, but his mistake could have been costly.

Overall I'm happy enough to have Meaney competing for a place in our run on side next year. He has plenty of room to improve. But for a debut game he showed enough to convince me he can make a positive contribution at the club next year. He will have competition from within the club and probably from other recruits to win the run on spot. But thats good for the club and it will hopefully prevent him from taking his chances for granted.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
better debut than Abbey last year. something to build on.. not surprising he cant tackle, brown just teaches them to slap. Pay will have him tackling before start of next season.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It does seem unusual we went shopping for a spine from the club who have been worsen spooners 3 years running, yet from the team with best regarded juniors, we’ve picked up a winger...
2 words. Phil Gould.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watched the second half specifically to see how Meaney played.

Positives.
Looks pretty comfortable with kick reception and traveled a long way to take some of the catches.
Saw him looking to get involved often which is a good sign.
Showed some paceon a couple of occasions.
Doesn't lack confidence.
Maybe displayed a glimpse of vision when he took a nice DH run and broke a tackle in the process.

Negatives.
Was struggling against cramp with 20 to go. Can be fixed with a good offseason. He's got lpenty of company in this, plenty of seasoned players were cramping up out there. In his defence he was mostly taking his chance to stretch when the forwards were attacking.
Looks small. This is also something that the club can work on during the off-season. He's probably at the age when he's going to fill out properly soon.
He fumbled a grubber in a high pressure situation. He did manage to ground the ball to prevent the try though. Patten came to the club with a reputation for struggling to field grubbers, but we fixed that in the offseason before he made his debut for us. No reason to think that he always has issues with grubbers, but his mistake could have been costly.

Overall I'm happy enough to have Meaney competing for a place in our run on side next year. He has plenty of room to improve. But for a debut game he showed enough to convince me he can make a positive contribution at the club next year. He will have competition from within the club and probably from other recruits to win the run on spot. But thats good for the club and it will hopefully prevent him from taking his chances for granted.
Patten was suspect to the grubber to the day he retired. WE ALL HELD OUR BREATH EVERY DAMN GRUBBER!

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He looks about 2 off-seasons in the top squad away from being a fair dinkum 1st grader to me.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It seems like the forwards were protecting him a lot. They didnt seem to want to give him the ball. He was always in position for it though.
I still see him as promising.
Your right Pearce never threw it to him.. He was always in position but I didn't see much in him besides being a well rounded athlete. I don't think he'll be able to make an Impact at NRL level for another 2-3 yrs. His young.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed. He didn't star on debut, but he did really well with kick reception and seemed very willing to be involved. He still has plenty to work on but he didn't look out of place in the NRL.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He looks about 2 off-seasons in the top squad away from being a fair dinkum 1st grader to me.
Deadset just said the same thing on another thread... His too young.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
better debut than Abbey last year. something to build on.. not surprising he cant tackle, brown just teaches them to slap. Pay will have him tackling before start of next season.
Yh because our current team is great at tackling? Haha

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He is cramping up.... needs more km in his legs
100%. The more time spent in first grade, plus an off-season with our top squad will do him the world of good. Then it just depends on whether he has the talent and the heart.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Patten was suspect to the grubber to the day he retired. WE ALL HELD OUR BREATH EVERY DAMN GRUBBER!
Your right Pearce never threw it to him.. He was always in position but I didn't see much in him besides being a well rounded athlete. I don't think he'll be able to make an Impact at NRL level for another 2-3 yrs. His young.
looked like they were protecting him was very keen to get the ball. Think his 20 not sure. his ready for nrl just needs work on his defence. See how he goes next year looking forward to 2019

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He went alright overall, happy to see him progress and given time may be a good player.. time will tell of corse but there was definitely positives to take away from his game this evening.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Very underwhelming, burgerman looks better placed for a run at NRL level for us next season. Only seen Meaney play like 3 games and they have all been meh, doesn't look to have any sort of quality that stands out. It kind of feels like when we signed Abbey and we were like "well he's the third best young fullback behind Tommy Trbo and Latrell". Did anyone see Meaney play NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.