Nick Meaney - 2018 Consolidated Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think young kids like Meaney and Cogger are coming to the Bulldogs for an opportunity to play 1st Grade, Both have top quality players in front of them at the Knights and would be very unlikely to make 1st grade there on a permanent basis. It's these situations we need to chase in the early stages of our rebuild, All these players add depth to our squad. Some will become capable 1st graders. Others wont and will eventually drift off. For his 1st game in the top grade Meaney looked ok. With more games and experience he will get better. Needs to build up a bit to cope with the rigours of 1st Grade. Seemed a very light build even for a fullback,
It will be interesting to see how Brad Abbey goes at the Raiders. He came to us in a somewhat similar situation. I believe we had to let him go due to salary cap issues and we might have paid too much for him for what he was producing for us, but also probably he wasnt developing quite as quick as we needed.
I would think all clubs including ours chase all the good youngsters available. We just need to work with those we can get. I am sure Dean Pay with his past experiences coaching youth teams has as good a chance as any at attracting good young players.

Last edited:

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meanwhile the Panthers rookie fullback, who is 3rd in line, ran for over 300m on debut... I don't know if it's already been mentioned but Attn Dean Pay! He might be worth a look!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There was a guy earlier in this thread and I think he summed up Meaney's performance tonight pretty well. I've quoted him below and his comments.

PROS: He has pace, and his positional play in attack is okay (but he doesn't get involved much).
CONS: His defence needs a shitload of work, as does his positional play in defence. Arm grabbers in NSW Cup get torn apart in NRL. Just look at Brad Abbey when he played for us.
Will Meaney come good, who knows, BUT at this stage in his career, he is no better than Brett Lane / Brent Crisp / Patrick Templeman (all hype and no action). That is what I am saying!!
Fullbacks available at the time we signed Meaney:
Caleb Aekins - Very Good
Patrick Herbert - Very Good
Tyrone Phillips - May not want to return here.
Tyrone Roberts-Davis - try scoring machine for Burleigh.
Michael Carroll - up and coming gun fullback playing for Blackhawks. Defensive gun.

Our recruitment missed out on the prized signatures of:
Brayden McGrady (gone to Panthers next season), and a gun fullback.
Corey Allan (gone to Souths for next 3 season), and a gun fullback. Touted as the next Darius Boyd.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Meanwhile the Panthers rookie fullback, who is 3rd in line, ran for over 300m on debut... I don't know if it's already been mentioned but Attn Dean Pay! He might be worth a look!
Aekins re-signed with the Panthers this week.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Depends on Ponga... he's back and running again and they are saying Round 19 or 20.
Who is they? Their coach just said on tv that ponga probably won't be back by next week and Meaney would get another crack.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was he even playing in the last 10-15 minutes apart from falling over French?

That's Caleb Aekins .. and he was available.
Been saying for ages to sign the panthers kid or warriors fb
Spewing he just re-signed with riff

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That's what has annoyed me about the Dogs at the moment (and why I reckon Meaney and Cogger were "panic signings").

There are a few absolute gun fullbacks floating around at the moment, which our club appears to have overlooked and gone straight for the "most available" one.

Ditto halves. Laughrey and Tex Hoy from Knights are looking like superstars (Hoy a little more), and their young fullback Cooper is destined for great things.

Not sure where Panthers see Aekins fitting though.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's what has annoyed me about the Dogs at the moment (and why I reckon Meaney and Cogger were "panic signings").

There are a few absolute gun fullbacks floating around at the moment, which our club appears to have overlooked and gone straight for the "most available" one.

Ditto halves. Laughrey and Tex Hoy from Knights are looking like superstars (Hoy a little more), and their young fullback Cooper is destined for great things.

Not sure where Panthers see Aekins fitting though.
Are you involved with the club in anyway? How do you know that they didn’t approach these other ‘guns’ and were told no not interested. You are a complete negative nelly when it comes to the dogs and players. Go support Penrith.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter I guess these days whether they sign or not anyway... Considering the Panthers have an influx of backs one is bound to want a release..

Aekins
Zelze
Edwards
Luai

All are top class FB'z…

I reckon we hold on to the bank until we know whats doing with the Cleary's... Then go hard after Luai or Edwards.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Definately worth putting time into his development. Biggest thing is he needs to bulk up a bit, but hes about 90kgs so just add a bit more muscle.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Honestly, offers nothing more than Abbey did/does. Hopefully a lot cheaper. Will be okay.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He looks about 2 off-seasons in the top squad away from being a fair dinkum 1st grader to me.
Lacks a few key physical attributes to be a game changer. He might make a solid first grader but I witnessed nothing to get excited about.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He looks like a great NSW cup player

Awesome signing Dean

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Definately worth putting time into his development. Biggest thing is he needs to bulk up a bit, but hes about 90kgs so just add a bit more muscle.
This is the only comment that makes sense.
Surely you can't make a judgement on a player in their first game.
The only 2 things to take away from his debut are that he does look a lot like Mitchell Moses and he needs to add a few kg in off-season.
Can't we be at least satisfied that we have been pro active in trying to recruit some youth as we try to get our squad into a competitive position for next year?

Reaction score
Depends on Ponga... he's back and running again and they are saying Round 19 or 20.
I don’t think they’ll risk playing Ponga even if he’s 99%. The Knights aren’t playing Finals footy and they’ll make sure he’s 100% before returning to avoid re-injuring him.

Status
Not open for further replies.