Hypothetical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
ok say you work for a company and you less than 6 months from getting 10 years long service
And you have a feeling that company may have less than 5 years left before the owners retire and close the doors

And let's just say a rival company offers you a job with them doing exactly the same work for exactly the same pay to work for them

And this new company the owner is much younger and you will be guaranteed long employment say over 10 years or more,

What way would you go?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
ok say you work for a company and you less than 6 months from getting 10 years long service
And you have a feeling that company may have less than 5 years left before the owners retire and close the doors

And let's just say a rival company offers you a job with them doing exactly the same work for exactly the same pay to work for them

And this new company the owner is much younger and you will be guaranteed long employment say over 10 years or more,

What way would you go?
Do you have to go straight away? If yes I’d jump ship.. Long term security is far more important..especially if you have a family..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you see an opportunity to maybe buy into your current employer? Has a succession plan ever been discussed?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you have to go straight away? If yes I’d jump ship.. Long term security is far more important..especially if you have a family..
That's the lure to the new place

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you see an opportunity to maybe buy into your current employer? Has a succession plan ever been discussed?
The current employer is being very cagy about it all

And the company if sold is worth far to much for me to buy into at the moment

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The new place needs me soon as I can start

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The current employer is being very cagy about it all

And the company if sold is worth far to much for me to buy into at the moment
I would be open and honest with your current boss and force him to tell you what his plans are (whether it' true or not is another story).

I would also negotiate a higher pay rate with the new employer to help compensate for the lost lsl pay.

You need to put yourself in the best position fiest.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The new place needs me soon as I can start
So what you’re saying is..it’s not a hypothetical question.. lol! Go..look after yourself.. I know long service leave is very attractive..but in this day and age employment is getting harder and harder to come by..

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So what you’re saying is..it’s not a hypothetical question.. lol! Go..look after yourself.. I know long service leave is very attractive..but in this day and age employment is getting harder and harder to come by..
That's my biggest concern

There are not many options doing what I do at the level I do it at, and not many opportunities for me,
I can't let a long term opportunity slip,

Croydon is right
I need to have an honest up front conversation with current boss
And make a decision from there,

And I also need to exactly the conditions of new employer to see if I can negatiate a better deal

It's doing my head in

In the past, when in this position I usually get it right

But in the past I had youth on my side less responsibilities and the consequences of getting it wrong were not as high as they are this time round

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cyrodons sensible approach seems the go.
Remember grass not always greener either.
Theres no such thing is guaranteed.
New company could go tits up in 6 months of you being there.
Business may be booming atm but you know the game anything can happen

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So true

Fact is, of all the possible options
The 2 companies in question are best there is

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So true

Fact is, of all the possible options
The 2 companies in question are best there is
Its a tough one brother because the going is good people are pumping money into their properties and investments properties. But is the market takes a dive or something happens in the next 2 years are you first to go in new job or last to go in your old.
If theres more money in new job it may be worth the gamble
I don't have an answer lol

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a tough one brother because the going is good people are pumping money into their properties and investments properties. But is the market takes a dive or something happens in the next 2 years are you first to go in new job or last to go in your old.
If theres more money in new job it may be worth the gamble
I don't have an answer lol
It's my job to bring in the work
So I guess my fate is in my own hands to a large extent

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally i would be a little cautious, you obviously don't mind your current place of employment if you have lasted nearly 10 years there? I wouldn't be doing anything too rash, at a bare minimum i would be wanting more $ if i was been head hunted and potentially missing out on the long service leave. Certainly go have a good chat to your boss/owner whatever and try and get a good gauge about what their future plans are (it won't sound that suss either ya know, you coming up for 10 years so you just curious what their future plans are). I don't know much about your personal situation, perhaps you are bored of that same place, same people or whatever and need a change? Otherwise, unless they offering ya something you can't refuse, i would definitely be cautious, even if your current place is closing in 5 years, 5 years is a long time to figure out a new plan.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
As a liquidator... you are spot on.. nothing us guaranteed.

Good luck wirh it Skip

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Here's the catch.... a lot can change in 10 years. What's the say the new employer will be around in 10 years to offer you that long service (which by the way is a legal requirement of employment).

It's like me saying "hey come work for Invisible Enterprises... we will employ you full time and pay your sick leave and super... AND our CEO is only 5 years old so company will be around a long time".

Let me give you an example. I know of a business that went from struggling to turning over 5 million a year in 2 years (not my previous employer). Won multiple industry awards in those 2 years and was slated with big things to come. In the 3rd year the business was in hands of administrators and closed down.

Don't give up loyalty and longevity of a job for the potential false promises of another. It looks really bad on your resume if things go tits up with the new firm "Hey dont employ this guy he'll just use us to climb the ladder and dump us when he is done".

I'm still unemployed (between jobs) and to give you an idea my resume is 3 employers.

2 years - Traineeship - no longer required.
15 years - Full Time on / off with break at 6 year mark - made redundant.
4 years - Full Time - made redundant.

Shows a potential employer I'm in for the long haul, rather than using them and jumping up the corporate ladder.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with Billy.. On the plus side I think you're entitled to long service leave from 7 years but can't take it till you've worked 10 or you leave

Status
Not open for further replies.