Hypothetical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My mate faced the same issue.
He was a few months from LS leave when a job at my work came up. I lined him up for it, and he didn’t take it.
He’s regreted it since.
Take the job.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for input
Based all everyone's advice, this is my plan of attack.

I have a meeting lined up with possible new employer on Friday to look over his set up and negotiate a package.

If I am happy with all that. I will set up a meeting with my current employer to discuss their plans for the future,

Once I have had that meeting,
I will decide my future.

Hopefully the new employer doesn't find anyone else in the meantime

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It does depend on the long term future. 8 weeks LSL is hard to digest losing, but just think that a couple of months work is all it is. It's a better option to leave, but if they need you ASAP try to negotiate a bit higher your salary. OR tell them that you're due to receive LSL in 6 months time and if there's anything they can do to compensate this for you.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you don't take holidays often that 8 week is ON TOP of your current holiday accrual, AND allowance for that year. Plus there's holiday loading on top of that as well. So you could be 12 weeks holiday + accured + loading.

Heres my thought on it.. STAY with your current employer.

You don't know how long they will be around for, but that issue exists in every business.
You DO know how they are as an employer, and your workmates.

New employment means another probationary period. 3 months work "thanks but things aren't working out", and you're unemployed, looking for a new job, with NOTHING incoming and no decent payout.

Stay with current place, get a good payout if things go tits up, and live off those savings finding a new job.

Not to mention with a new employer what if you don't get along with people, or the boss/supervisor is a complete prick and has it in for you from day one.

FAR too many risks for something that "might" happen with current employer.

Not to mention the damage it'll do to your professional resume if the new job isn't what you expect it to be.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey guys
A little update

A 3rd company has sounded me out for a position just to screw with my head more

Pros and cons for all 3 companies and the positions

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys
A little update

In demand! Kudos!

~c.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Id stay 6 months and get long service.. time is valuable to me. I don’t feel loyalty to companies I work for, I put myself in the best position first and foremost

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Remember that you've worked hard the last 9 years to earn that long service leave.

Why not take advantage of it?

That said being headhunted can put you in a good position if you play cards right, but can wreck you if you play them wrong.

I guess it would depend how the approach came about... are they simply wanting to poach staff or genuinely interested in bringing out onboard.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How many holidays etc have u got built up?
And if they close up, do t they have to pay you a reduntency

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Firstly I would be honest & upfront with all employers or potential employers. Do your homework on the lot of them as well. If you are in such demand as you say & the business you are with does fold, then it seems to me that those other employers 1. would appreciate that you were honest with them, 2. would appreciate that you wanted to stay loyal to your current employer & 3. would still be interested in you if you are so good at your job.

It sounds a difficult position, but it's a great position to be in to be wanted by so many when there are plenty who can't get a good job.

Good luck!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with Billy.. On the plus side I think you're entitled to long service leave from 7 years but can't take it till you've worked 10 or you leave
Usually that's only if you are made redundant I think....

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys
A little update

you must be good if companies are approaching you .
This should take the pressure off making a rash decision Give yourself some time to decide

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you were to tell the other company that you'd prefer to see out your 10 years before you moved, do you think they would still want you.

If so i'd wait

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If you were to tell the other company that you'd prefer to see out your 10 years before you moved, do you think they would still want you.

If so i'd wait
I did question that
Both job offers are for start in January
So, I'll miss out on long service

I am close to making my decision
I'm making it offical on Wednesday afternoon
I'll keep you guys posted

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
you must be good if companies are approaching you .
This should take the pressure off making a rash decision Give yourself some time to decide
Yes, I do have time
And I'll let everyone know on Wednesday afternoon.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, I do have time
And I'll let everyone know on Wednesday afternoon.
I always make sure i;m employd by someone over xmas/new years. There are 3 public holidays you someone to pay you for!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I always make sure i;m employd by someone over xmas/new years. There are 3 public holidays you someone to pay you for!
Yes
I know,
Looks like I'll lose out on long service and 3 days ph if I change jobs.

Just my luck lol

Status
Not open for further replies.