Storm recruit Sam Kasiano digs in to regain status as NRL’s best prop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountMontoya

Kennel Established
Reaction score
MELBOURNE Storm recruit Sam Kasiano wants to get back to being the best prop in the game, and if means digging holes and repairing divots along the way, then so be it.

The former Canterbury enforcer opted out of the final year of a lucrative contract at the Bulldogs for a fresh start in Melbourne after 139 NRL games.

The 2012 Dally M Prop of the Year and former New Zealand and Samoa international has taken the first steps towards redemption, completing a two-week work placement at Werribee Racecourse.

Storm premiership coach Craig Bellamy introduced the compulsory work program for all recruits — regardless of experience and reputation — more than a decade ago to remind players about life outside the football bubble.

Make no mistake, had Cooper Cronk moved to Storm from Sydney Roosters, he too would be paired up with an employer. Players do weights from 5.30am, go to work from 7am-3pm, and then return to the club for team meetings and skills sessions.

Kasiano was based at Werribee Racecourse for two weeks with the track workers.

Sandor Earl, who signed with Storm last month after completing a four-year peptide trafficking ban, worked with a landscaper in Seymour, about 90 minutes north of Melbourne, between sessions at AAMI Park. Others laboured at building sites with concreters, plumbers and painters.

Bellamy keeps the rules of engagement simple.

The jobs must be hard, outdoors and labour intensive.

Kasiano repaired divots for days, walked laps of the course, dug holes and helped with moving the running rail.

“I’ve never walked that far, ever,” Kasiano told the Herald Sun.

“Holding that rake all day and just punching the holes in is pretty tough.

“It does (take it out of you) but you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do.

“It’s a privilege for us to play rugby league as a job, not to take things for granted.”

Bellamy has tinkered with his infamous pre-season regimen over the years but there are some non-negotiables. The work placement is one of those.

Twelve-hour trackside days paid dividends for Kasiano and Storm prospect Kayleb Milne, who were tipped “a couple” of Flemington winners during the spring carnival, including Redzel and Fastnet Tempest.

“If we went earlier we would have got the tip for (Melbourne Cup winner) Rekindling,” Kasiano said, laughing.

The 196cm giant took the competition by storm in 2012 at the Bulldogs but has since battled fitness and injury woes.

He slipped out of the starting line-up this season and faced the prospect of losing more minutes with NSW Origin and Kangaroos enforcer Aaron Woods moving to the club next season.

He attracted interest from NRL rivals St George Illawarra, Parramatta and Warriors but a coffee date with Bellamy sealed the deal for Kasiano, who took a pay cut on the three-year transfer.

“He (Bellamy) took me to his favourite cafe,” Kasiano said.

“He said that he really wanted me and he could get me back playing like how I was playing back in 2012.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Loved watching Kas play in 2012. Hope he gets back to his best.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I bet Kasiano kept secret from Bellamy the 20 dim sims and 5 spring rolls he had for lunch.

Please what a sanctimonious piece of crap the article is.

Hope he fails big time at Melbourne!!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like Bellamy is a control freak (as well as a salary cap cheat).

Sandor Earl... that signing was done on the sly.. considering how many clubs did the NRL knock back allowing to sign him.

Either way the only thing Sam Kasiano knows how to dig into.. is a family feast at El Jannah.

N

Natboy

Back to being the best prop in the game? He was never the best prop in the game lol and was never out best prop either. Slow your row big guy, try finishing a year injury free and at the weight you started the season at lol.
I think he’s referring to 2012 when he got Dally M prop of the year which is the award for the best prop in the game

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Loved watching Kas play in 2012. Hope he gets back to his best.
I dont. Hes not playing for us any more.

I am surprised a jockey didnt try and throw a saddle on him when he was doing the track work. Lazy fat so and so.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He was never the best prop in the game. He wasn’t even our best prop at the club. How can a guy who doesn’t even average 100m a game be considered best prop in the game? He was our second best prop behind graham. He was admittedly vital to our attack when on song. So was graham until Des started telling him to overplay his hand.... and he worked harder.

Have fun Bellamy. You have no Cronk and Kasiano will frustrate you. It’s all downhill for Melbourne from here. But Sam will probably still look like he’s running uphill after 10-15 mins of game time. Our team in the utter hand, is going places.

If he (Kas) actually reaches peak fitness and produces what he is capable of, I’ll be annoyed tbh. He never did that here, even at his best.

He will still be handy if he can get back to his best, but I’m sick of the hyperbole surrounding Kas. He has always been an underachiever.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think he’s referring to 2012 when he got Dally M prop of the year which is the award for the best prop in the game
He didn’t deserve it though. He stole Graham’s Award tbh.

Graham was best prop in the comp in 2012 imho.

Kasiano is a great impact player when on song, but world’s best? No way, he never deserved that moniker.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Kas will be the best forward in the game mark my word.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He averages 32 mins a game. You don't even qualify for your own club's best prop until you average at least 60 mins.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are so many good props out there too so I would be surprised if Kas became the best. Can he get back to his best form of 2012? 100% but props are better than that now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There are so many good props out there too so I would be surprised if Kas became the best. Can he get back to his best form of 2012? 100% but props are better than that now.
The best props need to be able to pump out a strong 20-30 minute stint these days, Kas struggles to even last 15 minutes. I still remember the Penrith game where he started and was absolutely dead after a few minutes haha.

Malla

Reaction score
The best props need to be able to pump out a strong 20-30 minute stint these days, Kas struggles to even last 15 minutes. I still remember the Penrith game where he started and was absolutely dead after a few minutes haha.
Laughable. He was never the best prop in the game. Half the dally m recipients this year werent even the best in their position, those awards are rubbish anyway.

The **** needs to focus on his health

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Part of me understands why he left, Hasler had been signed on for 2 more years and he was never able to get the best out of Sam. Quite a few players that have moved on are much better for it.

The other part says if you want to be the best you need to put effort in, every year we read articles about him but 4-5 rounds in it was back to the same lazy players again.

Status
Not open for further replies.