Storm recruit Sam Kasiano digs in to regain status as NRL’s best prop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
I like the premise of what Bellamy is doing, showing the potentially 'full of themselves' players how privileged they are to be paid so well for what they do. That work around the racecourse probably pays $30-40,0000 a year and is hard yakka.

It also gives Bellamy a bit of one-upmanship in that 'I don't care who you are' I run this place, would be interesting if he had Jarryd Hayne playing for him. :-)

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like the premise of what Bellamy is doing, showing the potentially 'full of themselves' players how privileged they are to be paid so well for what they do. That work around the racecourse probably pays $30-40,0000 a year and is hard yakka.

It also gives Bellamy a bit of one-upmanship in that 'I don't care who you are' I run this place, would be interesting if he had Jarryd Hayne playing for him. :grinning:
They probably get paid for a years work for the two weeks they have to put in.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like Bellamy is a control freak (as well as a salary cap cheat).

Sandor Earl... that signing was done on the sly.. considering how many clubs did the NRL knock back allowing to sign him.

Either way the only thing Sam Kasiano knows how to dig into.. is a family feast at El Jannah.
I don't think the NRL knocked back any clubs Earl wanted to sign with. They simply said they wouldn't register him until after his suspension was ended. Earl only went to Melbourne because he wanted to and they wanted him. I'm glad we didn't look for him. He was ordinary when he was young he won't be any better now.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't worry he will be eating kebabs by round 10. Poor bellamy will have his work cut for him.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Great to see Schubert using the National Rort Leagues notional value discretion 'rule' to benefit glamour clubs.

Dont see how you block Falou from coming back to leage by setting a ludicrous (at the time) 'notional value' of 400k when he had spent the previous 6 years playing like a 3rd rate AFL player for a bottom of the league team...Yet Kasiano and the current Australian and QLD halfback take paycuts to fit into already stellar rosters.

Move along folks nothing to see here.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Storm recruit Sam Kasiano digs in to 5 kebabs to regain status as NRL’s fattest prop

Fixed the title.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Great to see Schubert using the National Rort Leagues notional value discretion 'rule' to benefit glamour clubs.

Dont see how you block Falou from coming back to leage by setting a ludicrous (at the time) 'notional value' of 400k when he had spent the previous 6 years playing like a 3rd rate AFL player for a bottom of the league team...Yet Kasiano and the current Australian and QLD halfback take paycuts to fit into already stellar rosters.

Move along folks nothing to see here.
Schubert works for the Eels - not sure what he has to do with anything these days. Folau was a victim of the Gasnier rort. The NRL snuffed it out and Folau was next cab off the rank that's why the Eels were shut down and rightly so. There's nothing wrong with players taking less so long as it isn't below their notional value which I guess gives you an idea of what theirs is. I'd be surprised if any player in the NRL had a notional value of more than say $750K. It's like land valuations. They are never market price. So I guess you are right - there is nothing to see here.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Sorry mate he will never be as good as Jason Taumalolo. Maybe he can be the best prop, but forward? Not while Taumalolo is playing.
I don't agree kas is not just a hard runner he also has footwork and passing skills

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Schubert works for the Eels - not sure what he has to do with anything these days. Folau was a victim of the Gasnier rort. The NRL snuffed it out and Folau was next cab off the rank that's why the Eels were shut down and rightly so. There's nothing wrong with players taking less so long as it isn't below their notional value which I guess gives you an idea of what theirs is. I'd be surprised if any player in the NRL had a notional value of more than say $750K. It's like land valuations. They are never market price. So I guess you are right - there is nothing to see here.
Well whomever the cap auditor is doesnt change the case in point.

Not having a go at you mate but honestly you staunchly defend everything management as if to say you have been there and somehow instantly know better.
Many of us have been there. Not all management is the same. From experience the most worthwhile rorts start at the top.

The notion that notional values are set in place to prevent cap cheating is just another laughable facet of the salary cap and the rule in fact facilitates bending the cap for the privileged few.

So Falou was a victim? But the notional rule was rightly used upon him?

The guy had not played league for 6 years,
Some of the games top playmakers were not earning 400k at the time.

Say the Eels signed him for 400k for 2 years and he plays average at best or sits on the sidelines mostly injured.. Then the Eels want to re-sign him for 200k. Is notional value still in effect? why/why not?

How do you attribute notional values to players that play in succesful clubs or play alongside a star player that make them look more outstanding in that system than they would be in another club, playing alongside another player?

Beaver Menzies would still be rubbing the hair off Cliff Lyons head had the rule been in place and he was nkt so loyal.

Coming back to NRL from another sport will take up the better part of, if not a whole season or more to reach peak physical fitness and body shape. Is that accounted for in any notional values for players outside of NRL?

Too many questions in discretionary salary cap rules.

Consistency and transparency is what the fans want and what the game needs. There is none of that with discretionary cap rulings and the silence that follows.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont really care what he does in melbourne either way. He was a crowd favourite for a while there, and one of mine too. But he totally fell off somewhere along the way. He was useless this year. Regardless of his reasons/excuses he may have, he showed no respect for the jersey with his efforts this year. No respect for his teammates, and no respect to us fans. Im glad he has gone.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Well whomever the cap auditor is doesnt change the case in point.

Not having a go at you mate but honestly you staunchly defend everything management as if to say you have been there and somehow instantly know better.
Many of us have been there. Not all management is the same. From experience the most worthwhile rorts start at the top.

The notion that notional values are set in place to prevent cap cheating is just another laughable facet of the salary cap and the rule in fact facilitates bending the cap for the privileged few.

So Falou was a victim? But the notional rule was rightly used upon him?

The guy had not played league for 6 years,
Some of the games top playmakers were not earning 400k at the time.

Say the Eels signed him for 400k for 2 years and he plays average at best or sits on the sidelines mostly injured.. Then the Eels want to re-sign him for 200k. Is notional value still in effect? why/why not?

How do you attribute notional values to players that play in succesful clubs or play alongside a star player that make them look more outstanding in that system than they would be in another club, playing alongside another player?

Beaver Menzies would still be rubbing the hair off Cliff Lyons head had the rule been in place and he was nkt so loyal.

Coming back to NRL from another sport will take up the better part of, if not a whole season or more to reach peak physical fitness and body shape. Is that accounted for in any notional values for players outside of NRL?

Too many questions in discretionary salary cap rules.

Consistency and transparency is what the fans want and what the game needs. There is none of that with discretionary cap rulings and the silence that follows.
It's not about defending management - it's about understanding how things work and whether running off about something in frustration without knowing the facts is the right thing to do. It's like T-Rex's contract. Everyone swore black and blue he was on $600k pa. Turns out he was on $400K. Another case in point is your remark about Folau. His last NRL game was the end of the 2010 season. At the end of the 2012 season he sought to play for the Eels. 2 years not 6 years (and if I didn't correct that it would become fact in some other post next week). So are you suggesting that a 22 year old kid has forgotten how to play NRL after being away for 2 seasons? Now you might understand why the best winger in the game at the time had a value placed on him above the $200K that the Eels wanted to register him for. Given the way the Eels handled the salary cap do you honestly believe he was going to play for just $200K? Effectively that means the Eels would be cheating the cap to get him. As a Doggie are you OK with that? I'm not. As for fitness, he was playing AFL not pouring beers.

Beaver and Cliffy? Huh? Both played over 300 games for the Eagles. Their time was over. Cliffy wasn't even in top grade when he finished and they had plenty of good young players coming through. So they keep those two and maybe lose the Trbojevics? Manly made the right decision - one that the cap is designed to achieve. If they wanted to keep them they could have. Just like we did with Graham, Tolman, Reynolds etc. Not saying our decisions were good only that we made the decision to do it. The NRL only buys in when there are cap issues. I'm pretty sure they aren't hovering over the Knights at the moment.

I don't get the 'players around them' argument. You are either a good footballer or you are not. A good team is a good team. The skills have to be complimentary not just individuallly good. 2 running halves like we had demonstrate that. Put one organiser with one runner and you get DCE/Foran. Put 2 runners and you get DCE/Walker. All 3 great players but not all complimenting each other. So do one of them have no/little value? So the notional value actually does work if one of them leaves. Just because a club buys the wrong player doesn't make the player worthless just not the right fit for the team. Hayne anyone?

I don't for a moment suggest the NRL is doing a great job only that it is neither as bad nor as easy as some people seem to think. Is there a better system? I'm sure one will come along, but I'm equally sure that in the small commercial market we live in someone will come up with a work around for it to gain an advantage and then it will be the NRL's fault all over again because the 'old system' was better. Queue PK and Buzz in 5 years.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
a realistic goal for him would be to have the same impact as asofa-solomona
Nah I don’t think that’s possible. NAS has natural athleticism, which Kas doesn’t and will never have. Both players show aggression, but NAS shows more, i guess Kasiano can catch up in that respect.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't agree kas is not just a hard runner he also has footwork and passing skills
But Taumalolo is a chiseled athletic freak, Kasiano is a sloppy large beast. Please do not say he has footwork, when comparing him to Taumalolo who actually has explosive, and effective footwork. Kasiano’s passing skills are nothing to call home about either, his offloads are often hail mary’s, and the rest is pretty much run of the mill for props these days.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
But Taumalolo is a chiseled athletic freak, Kasiano is a sloppy large beast. Please do not say he has footwork, when comparing him to Taumalolo who actually has explosive, and effective footwork. Kasiano’s passing skills are nothing to call home about either, his offloads are often hail mary’s, and the rest is pretty much run of the mill for props these days.
Kas was one of the reason we succeeded in 2012 .
Taumalolo is just an explosive runner that's it.
If kass can get back to his best he will be the best forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.