Retro Gaming

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I played this one yesterday. It's pretty fun, but hard. I couldn't get passed stage 2 lol. It's a different kind of dodge ball game though. 3 players on each team, and only 1 ball, not multiple balls. Once a player is eliminated, that go to the other side of the court where the opponents are, but on the outside, and the ball can be passed to them so the opposing team can sort of be blind-sided.

It's fun, and has those nice Japanese cartoony graphics. Good voice acting too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Dodge_Ball_(Neo_Geo)

Wahesh

Reaction score
Ok this Dodgeball game is really starting to piss me off. I can't get past the 3rd stage :(

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know everyone told me about emulators and what not, but I just had to buy the Nintendo mini lol. I havnt got it yet I preordered, the next batch due in Dec. If it turns out to be shite I can always sell it. Ive seen some on Trademe (NZ eBay) for nearly triple the cost and people are bidding hard for them.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I know everyone told me about emulators and what not, but I just had to buy the Nintendo mini lol. I havnt got it yet I preordered, the next batch due in Dec. If it turns out to be shite I can always sell it. Ive seen some on Trademe (NZ eBay) for nearly triple the cost and people are bidding hard for them.
Being more of a Sega man, this is what I would love:

http://www.redmondpie.com/sega-laun...eld-mega-drive-consoles-here-are-the-details/

What we have here is Sega Mega Drive with 81 games built in, and 2 bluetooth controllers (yes, that's right, Sega Mega Drive (wireless) BLUETOOTH controllers. Sega has the power to get with the times.

So, you get the console, 2 wireless controllers and 81 built in games for... wait for it... $65. Bargain or what? Small price to pay for your childhood.

The complete list of built-in games is as follows:

1. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  2. Alien Storm
  3. Altered Beast
  4. Arrow Flash
  5. Bonanza Bros.
  6. Chakan: The Forever Man
  7. Columns
  8. Columns III
  9. ComixZone
  10. Crack Down
  11. DecapAttack
  12. Dr. Robotnik’sMean Bean Machine
  13. Ecco
  14. EccoJr
  15. ESWAT: City Under Seige
  16. Fatal Labyrinth
  17. Flicky
  18. Gain Ground
  19. Golden Axe
  20. Golden Axe 2
  21. Golden Axe 3
  22. Jewel Master
  23. Kid Chameleon
  24. Motal Kombat
  25. Mortal Kombat 2
  26. Mortal Kombat 3
  27. Ristar
  28. Shadow Dancer
  29. Shinobi 3
  30. Streets Of Rage 1
  31. Streets Of Rage 2
  32. Streets Of Rage 3
  33. Sonic & Knuckles
  34. Sonic Spinball
  35. Sonic the Hedgehog
  36. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  37. The Ooze
  38. Vectorman
  39. Vectorman 2
  40. Virtua Fighter 2
  41. Games List – bonus cartridge games
  42. Cross the road
  43. Jack’s Pea
  44. Jewel Magic
  45. Curling 2010
  46. Fish Story
  47. Mahjong Solitaire
  48. Warehouse Keeper
  49. Chess
  50. Memory
  51. Snake
  52. Air Hockey
  53. Spider
  54. Naval Power
  55. Mr. Balls
  56. Cannon
  57. Fight or Lose
  58. Bottle Taps Race
  59. Bomber
  60. Checker
  61. Hexagonos
  62. Reaction Match
  63. Whack-A-Wolf
  64. Mirror Mirror
  65. Memory Match
  66. Treasure Hunt
  67. Fire Fly Glow
  68. Panic Lift
  69. Black Sheep
  70. Space Hunter
  71. Flash Memory
  72. Table Magic
  73. Color Puzzle
  74. Brain Switch
  75. Mega Brain Switch
  76. Bulls and Cows
  77. Logic Dial
  78. Match Eleven
  79. Formula Challenge
  80. Sudoku Quiz
  81. Dominant Color

Wahesh

Reaction score
I played this awesome Neo Geo game yesterday called "Street Hoop" - it's a 3v3 basketball game. Teams based on those of actual NBA team with colours and all, obviously though no logos, just colours and names of cities. It's pretty good.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Huge retro gamer.

In my room I currently have:

• Super Nintendo
  • Nintendo 64
  • Gamecube
  • Wii
  • Wii U
  • Switch *Incoming!*
  • Sega Mega Drive II
  • Playstation II
  • Playstation III
  • Playstaion IV
I am huge on games with replay value (aside from Nostalgia) - so mostly RPG games, with the occasioanl sidescroller.

That being said... Alex Kidd, Wonderboy for Sega are games I am huge on. Then the usual suspects for SNES (ALTTP, Mario games)... N64 would have to be one of the best consoles of all time. Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect dark, Mario Kart, Banjo Kazooie, DK64...

And then I find that the older the consoles get, the less "replayable" games you find, obviously with some exceptions (IE - Kingdom Hearts, FF series)

Wahesh

Reaction score
Huge retro gamer.

In my room I currently have:

• Super Nintendo
  • Nintendo 64
  • Gamecube
  • Wii
  • Wii U
  • Switch *Incoming!*
  • Sega Mega Drive II
  • Playstation II
  • Playstation III
  • Playstaion IV
I am huge on games with replay value (aside from Nostalgia) - so mostly RPG games, with the occasioanl sidescroller.

That being said... Alex Kidd, Wonderboy for Sega are games I am huge on. Then the usual suspects for SNES (ALTTP, Mario games)... N64 would have to be one of the best consoles of all time. Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect dark, Mario Kart, Banjo Kazooie, DK64...

And then I find that the older the consoles get, the less "replayable" games you find, obviously with some exceptions (IE - Kingdom Hearts, FF series)
I take it you have a gamesroom if you have 10 consoles?

But N64 is not the best... Playstation has it beat in many ways (my opinion of course).

The N64 had a lot of kiddie games - while great, not aimed at young adults. Games like Mario Kart, Super Mario, Banjo Kazooie, DK64, Yoshi's Story - are their best games yes, but they are aimed at younger audiences. Games like Killer Instinct Gold, Goldeneye, Turok were good, but hugely outwieghed by the Kiddie games. Not to mention how oddly shaped their controller was.

I loved PlayStation as it was aimed at young adults more - it had more violent games such as Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Tekken and even the Tomb Raider series. Then not to mention that the fact it was on CD meant better sound quality, and games that caught be burnt + chipped (not that I did it though, I wasn't going to pay an extra $100 for that lol), and also the controller was more ergonomic and changed the industry forever with the vibration "dual shock".

Going back further though, Sega Master System II - YES.

- Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Janken and his henchmen have nightmares about me lol).
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Streets of Rage
- Double Dragon
- Double Hawk
- Tecmo World Cup

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I take it you have a gamesroom if you have 10 consoles?

But N64 is not the best... Playstation has it beat in many ways (my opinion of course).

The N64 had a lot of kiddie games - while great, not aimed at young adults. Games like Mario Kart, Super Mario, Banjo Kazooie, DK64, Yoshi's Story - are their best games yes, but they are aimed at younger audiences. Games like Killer Instinct Gold, Goldeneye, Turok were good, but hugely outwieghed by the Kiddie games. Not to mention how oddly shaped their controller was.

I loved PlayStation as it was aimed at young adults more - it had more violent games such as Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Tekken and even the Tomb Raider series. Then not to mention that the fact it was on CD meant better sound quality, and games that caught be burnt + chipped (not that I did it though, I wasn't going to pay an extra $100 for that lol), and also the controller was more ergonomic and changed the industry forever with the vibration "dual shock".

Going back further though, Sega Master System II - YES.

- Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Janken and his henchmen have nightmares about me lol).
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Streets of Rage
- Double Dragon
- Double Hawk
- Tecmo World Cup
Definitely a solid reasoning as to why PS was better.

I loved 64, mainly for its multiplayer ability. As opposed to the PS which required a multitap, the 64 built the console to appease multiple people at once. I think of games like 007, Mario Kart, Mario Party etc etc.. just great games.

I agree, they were for a younger audience.. but they also sit in the more "adventure" game category - of which I favour.

Even now... Give me a Legend of Zelda game or a Batman Arkam game over a COD, or a FPS game.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Definitely a solid reasoning as to why PS was better.

I loved 64, mainly for its multiplayer ability. As opposed to the PS which required a multitap, the 64 built the console to appease multiple people at once. I think of games like 007, Mario Kart, Mario Party etc etc.. just great games.

I agree, they were for a younger audience.. but they also sit in the more "adventure" game category - of which I favour.

Even now... Give me a Legend of Zelda game or a Batman Arkam game over a COD, or a FPS game.
Oh I'll give you that - N64 has 4 ports so more multiplayers. The PS was stuck with 2 players and split-screen. I prefer the N64 of the screen being split into quarters (Mario Kart 64 for example).

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh I'll give you that - N64 has 4 ports so more multiplayers. The PS was stuck with 2 players and split-screen. I prefer the N64 of the screen being split into quarters (Mario Kart 64 for example).
Deadset - dusted that off on Australia day with my mates.

Nothing more fun in that sort of setting. Just watching people celebrate a victory just before they pass the finish line.. only to be overtaken at the death by a star shining, blue shell wielding little c.unt.

Nothing better.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Deadset - dusted that off on Australia day with my mates.

Nothing more fun in that sort of setting. Just watching people celebrate a victory just before they pass the finish line.. only to be overtaken at the death by a star shining, blue shell wielding little c.unt.

Nothing better.
LMFAO. I've experienced that MANY times.

@JayBee did you ever get into NeoGeo (in terms of Emulation as it wasn't marketed well here).

Deadset that console did very well in Japan. It had great, fun games well ahead of their time.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LMFAO. I've experienced that MANY times.

@JayBee did you ever get into NeoGeo (in terms of Emulation as it wasn't marketed well here).

Deadset that console did very well in Japan. It had great, fun games well ahead of their time.
Never heard of it TBH bud. Just researched it, and they were the first to have a memory card for their games.

Learn something new every day.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Never heard of it TBH bud. Just researched it, and they were the first to have a memory card for their games.

Learn something new every day.
Yeah that's the sad thing - it was a great system but didn't get much exposure here. The graphics on the system were amazing as they had a lot of games with anime-style animations and movements. Metal Slug - prime example of a Neo Geo game.

This is the console:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Retropie + emustation + retroarch = profit.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When i was young I was mostly on the Commodore 64. Played games such as:

Labrynth
BC Bill
Winter Games
Summer Games
California Games
International Karate
Barbarian
Wonderboy

Then later on on early PC played:

LeisureSuite Larry
Police Quest
Sim City
Wolf 3D
Syndicate
Duke Nukem
Doom
Monkey Island
Kings Quest Series

Wahesh

Reaction score
When i was young I was mostly on the Commodore 64. Played games such as:

Labrynth
BC Bill
Winter Games
Summer Games
California Games
International Karate
Barbarian
Wonderboy

Then later on on early PC played:

LeisureSuite Larry
Police Quest
Sim City
Wolf 3D
Syndicate
Duke Nukem
Doom
Monkey Island
Kings Quest Series
Some pretty good games there. Duke Nukem 2 was pretty much as awesome as an action 2D platformer got.

Some other good 2D action platformers include Halloween Harry and Bio Menace.

Halloween Harry:

Bio Menace: