Not open for further replies.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hayne-Elgey-Taylor-Peats, yep pretty solid spine, as long as Elgey's knees don't implode

The sooner they get rid of Bird the better - use his money for another marque forward.
Why would they get rid of Bird. TBH he often is their best player on the field. He was thier best in the Sharks draw. Hes a good player despite his shady past.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why would they get rid of Bird. TBH he often is their best player on the field. He was thier best in the Sharks draw. Hes a good player despite his shady past.
Bird is an awesome player when he's not giving away cheap penalties. Not the biggest player but super competitive and manages to constantly bend the line . He always puts in 100%

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree that they had the free cash and needed a good quality signing. The part that I don't like is that it over inflates the market for players that really aren't worth that money. Hayne will probably only play a handful of good games per year, what is a player like Tom Trbjovic worth at his next contract if Hayne is worth $1.2mil.
The dogs already inflated the market with paying ridiculous money for props lol. I don't think Haynes deal will have that big an influence on the market, he is a 2 time dally M winner and is really a one of a kind athlete on and off he field in the NRL atm.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Still has the occasional good game, but he's well past his best...he's 33 at the start of next season. They have much better younger forwards in James and Paasi. More often than not Bird is on the ground faking a concussion to get the free interchange lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Still has the occasional good game, but he's well past his best...he's 33 at the start of next season. They have much better younger forwards in James and Paasi. More often than not Bird is on the ground faking a concussion to get the free interchange lol
He fakes injury about 10 times a game and he always makes this **** of a face :tearsofjoy:

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Its hilarious the story is getting reported on with the Eels snubbed, Hayne did wrong by the fans, etc....... and almost no mention the Eels didn't actually make him an offer. How was he supposed to join the Eels if the Eels didn't put a offer to him?

You'd think they would have quickly and made it the one bright note of the season for them........ if you believe all their management issues are resolved (by having a temporary administrator appointed).

Fox have a story up now saying he broke a sacred rule of not treating fans like idiots. I imagine it would be easier for him to not break that sacred rule if Eels fans where not actually idiots :laughing:

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
So if you believe Hayne, the Eels did not even offer him a contract.

How can this be possible? They were clearly in talks with his manager. What happened?

Did Hayne give them an end date for an offer before he took up another offer? I somehow doubt it.

Very hard to see what has happened here. One of two things happened here, which one is it?

1: The Eels decided they did not want Hayne back and thus did not offer him a contract
- The eels have played better footy since Hayne left
- They aren't exactly crying out for a fullback on massive money

2: Hayne decided he did not want to go back to the Eels
- The club has had a shambles of a year and with all the player losses the future is uncertain
- Even if the Eels go well next year, with the player losses the Titans are a far better team on paper so there is more chance of a premiership for Hayne there

I refuse to believe this is about money. With Foran going, the Eels could have thrown a mega tonne of money at Hayne if they really wanted too. With TPA's I am sure the differences in pay would be negligible.

Maybe more will come out soon.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He fakes injury about 10 times a game and he always makes this **** of a face :tearsofjoy:
Yeh he carries on like a dick at times, especially throwing his head back in many tackles a game like hes been hit in the head, to milk penalties, and he is getting older, but Titans are a much better team when hes on the field.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
So if you believe Hayne, the Eels did not even offer him a contract.

How can this be possible? They were clearly in talks with his manager. What happened?

Did Hayne give them an end date for an offer before he took up another offer? I somehow doubt it.

Very hard to see what has happened here. One of two things happened here, which one is it?

1: The Eels decided they did not want Hayne back and thus did not offer him a contract
- The eels have played better footy since Hayne left
- They aren't exactly crying out for a fullback on massive money

2: Hayne decided he did not want to go back to the Eels
- The club has had a shambles of a year and with all the player losses the future is uncertain
- Even if the Eels go well next year, with the player losses the Titans are a far better team on paper so there is more chance of a premiership for Hayne there

I refuse to believe this is about money. With Foran going, the Eels could have thrown a mega tonne of money at Hayne if they really wanted too. With TPA's I am sure the differences in pay would be negligible.

Maybe more will come out soon.
The eels did offer him a contract from what ive read, but it was about $400k a year short of what Tits offered him. $400k a year is a serious amount of money, even though $800k a year is still good wages.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The eels did offer him a contract from what ive read, but it was about $400k a year short of what Tits offered him. $400k a year is a serious amount of money, even though $800k a year is still good wages.
So are you saying Haynes statement means he rejected that and told them to come back with a higher number?

That's pretty diff to not offering him anything

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
So are you saying Haynes statement means he rejected that and told them to come back with a higher number?

One of the key points that stood out to me was the fact that he is playing this year. He said it was a factor and the Eels were reportedly trying to fit him in for this year aswell. But I would imagine the NRL might have got the sentiment from the fans other clubs that this would be another hit to the integrity of the game.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Tim Mannah seems to think Hayne was not offered anything

Tim mannah speaks about Hayne
Parramatta club captain Tim Mannah says no man is bigger than the Eels - even his superstar best mate Jarryd Hayne.

Mannah had lunch with Hayne on Monday and admits his code-hopping former teammate asked him when the Eels were going to make an offer.

Mannah, though, says while it may be disappointing for fans that Hayne won't be returning to Parramatta any time soon, the embattled Eels are intent on building a club and team "that's sustainable for the future" rather than splashing out for one player.

"Gold Coast have offered him a very big sum and one thing we've learnt at the club is one player isn't bigger than the club," Mannah said after Hayne's announcement on Wednesday that he was joining rival NRL club the Titans.

Mannah admitted he relayed Hayne's quest for an offer to Eels officials and thought it "kind of got the wheels moving a bit quicker to get something to him".

But he said with all the upheavals at the club in 2016 it was always going to be tough to secure Hayne's services.

"We don't have a head of football at the moment," Mannah said.

"We have a CEO now but there was a little period there where we didn't have a lot of leadership that could have made the right calls.

"But whether or not we had people there, it might not have changed anything anyway.

"I don't know if we would have gone down that path of throwing that kind of money around.

"It's all done now so there's no point us crying over split milk.

"He's made the decision that's best for him. He's a grown man and he's got to look after himself.

"At the same time, Parra, we want to look after ourselves as well.

"It would have been nice to have him at Parra but he's looked after himself and it's a good chance for the club to kind of take a step back, look at what position we're in now.

"We've got a bit of space to work with and a bit of money to spend and we can go ahead and build a team we want to build."

Mannah said he understood Hayne's urgency to seal a deal.

"He's got a chance to play some finals footy this year," he said.

"And I guess if you wanted to have a crack at that, you'd have to get it done pretty quick."

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Hayne gets smashed, by anyone, even though Parra did the wrong thing the supporters didn't, I reckon Parra dodged a bullet as the Titans will struggle to build a decent team around Hayne with the money they just spent on him, and he shouldn't be playing until next year, can't wait to see when the titans play Parra it's gonna be good.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

Yesterday, reports emerged yesterday that the Titans and Eels had each made multi-million-dollar offers to Hayne.

Fairfax Media suggested the Titans were willing to offer him a deal worth $1.2 million per season with third-party components included, which would make him the highest paid player in NRL history.

That offer would trump one the Eels were believed to have been preparing, which weighed in at $800,000 per season over three years.
http://www.9news.com.au/National/2016/08/03/07/00/Jarryd-Hayne-signs-deal-with-Gold-Coast-Titans

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Very conflicting reports

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Very conflicting reports
I know the story i linked says eels were preparing the $800k offer, like they hadnt made an offer yet to Hayne, but if the media know about it, i cant believe Hayne didnt. I suppose all said, its also possible the media are full of shit, wouldnt be the first time lol.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When was the last time we signed a genuine marquis player?

Terry Lamb in 84?

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol @ the butthurt on here.

They got peats, Taylor and elgy on their books for a few years - they also have some useful forwards and wingers/centres who actually try.

If Hayne plays this year they are a genuine threat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
When was the last time we signed a genuine marquis player?

Terry Lamb in 84?
Not a fan of signing marquees tbh. All the eggs in one basket. Cowboys showed last week (and any other time hes been out) that without JT they are not contenders. Eels form shit itself without Foran too. Sure Marquee players can be awesome if they arent injured, and can make a huge difference, but you also hold your breathe every time they get hit hard, or come up from a a tackle limping or something. With a marquee player, if they get injured the disruption to the team can be enormous and season ending. I wouldnt want to run that gauntlet.

Id take foran or JT in the side, but not on marquee pay lol. I wouldnt want to weaken the side to fit them in the cap, and then one of them get injured. If JT didnt play again this year, cowboys be lucky to make week 2 of the finals, after limping into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.