Dogs Block Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
1150: NEWS - DOGS BLOCK ROBERTS

Canterbury-Bankstown have blocked Ben Roberts from making a move to either Cronulla or Gold Coast Titans.

The 25-year-old is the Dogs' second choice five-eighth behind Kris Keating and will be forced to see out the season at Belmore

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...nrl-news-in-2011/story-fn2mcuj6-1226018492281

PS. I tried posting this in Bulldogs News but "didn't have priveledges" to do so.

fr333k

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as I'd like him to stay, I knew he would be looking to leave since he cant get a run on in our side.

Titans look like getting his signature..

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Honestly this is bs from the club

I KNOW I KNOW he's under contract and anything can happen with injuries

But in all honesty he's not getting a run anytime soon and if he does it will only be short lived. He's not a reserve grade player and after all the years service you'd think the club would respect him enough to play in FG

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Honestly this is bs from the club

I KNOW I KNOW he's under contract and anything can happen with injuries

But in all honesty he's not getting a run anytime soon and if he does it will only be short lived. He's not a reserve grade player and after all the years service you'd think the club would respect him enough to play in FG
Harsh. Its only Rd4.. Anything could happen

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Contract is a contract.

The club comes first. If injuries hit, then he is required - same as so many other players in NSW Cup e.g. Armit. Should we release him mid-season as well? No. Yet he's been here in the NRL longer than Roberts, and in my opinion, a better servant.

Just because someone has been demoted to NSW Cup for a few matches, shouldn't mean we automatically have to release them and break our contract.

"Forced"? olols

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hes not going to be there for a few matches, he is going to be there for the season unless another player gets injured.

Apparently Roberts has an attitude aswell which doesn't help his cause.

Club should cut him lose, we have other backup's incase and however much as i am not a Roberts supporter he should get the oppotunity to crack 1st grade for another club who will have him.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Harsh. Its only Rd4.. Anything could happen
Contract is a contract.

The club comes first. If injuries hit, then he is required - same as so many other players in NSW Cup e.g. Armit. Should we release him mid-season as well? No. Yet he's been here in the NRL longer than Roberts, and in my opinion, a better servant.

Just because someone has been demoted to NSW Cup for a few matches, shouldn't mean we automatically have to release them and break our contract.

"Forced"? olols
Don't kid yourselves the guy is never gonna see the light of FG again if Keating and Hodkinson stay injury free which is VERY VERY likely, in the small chance they do we have Josh Reynolds, Aiden Sezer amongst many who are deserving replacements for a few games

Armit is a poor example because he is a forward, you typically have 4 in FG and its a very injury prone position so the likelihood he's services will be needed are MASSIVE in comparsion

Roberts V Keating for FG ... even when Roberts was picked for No.6 by us we still had Keating on the bench cause they are FG quality

Simple hard truth, Keating WON and neither was ever intended to play NSW Cup thats what junior prospects are for !!

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Hes not going to be there for a few matches, he is going to be there for the season unless another player gets injured.

Apparently Roberts has an attitude aswell which doesn't help his cause.

Club should cut him lose, we have other backup's incase and however much as i am not a Roberts supporter he should get the oppotunity to crack 1st grade for another club who will have him.
Look I've never done this hear say nonsense before BUT Roberts comes into my mates restuarant all the time and he hasn't touched a drink in over a year. He has made great improvements on and off the field (he wouldn't be at the club if he hadn't or had an attitude)

Thats not the case, the guy simply wants to play FG which is fair IMO

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Don't kid yourselves the guy is never gonna see the light of FG again if Keating and Hodkinson stay injury free which is VERY VERY likely, in the small chance they do we have Josh Reynolds, Aiden Sezer amongst many who are deserving replacements for a few games

Armit is a poor example because he is a forward, you typically have 4 in FG and its a very injury prone position so the likelihood he's services will be needed are MASSIVE in comparsion

Roberts V Keating for FG ... even when Roberts was picked for No.6 by us we still had Keating on the bench cause they are FG quality

Simple hard truth, Keating WON and neither was ever intended to play NSW Cup thats what junior prospects are for !!
Can I dig that back up sometime this season? :grinning:

Roberts can play 4 or 5 positions, so if he really knuckled down and blitzed it in NSW Cup, then he will get a spot. If he doesn't, he has no one else to blame. Same goes with Armit. Perform or perish.

Reynolds is injured, and Sezer is still in the 20s, so Roberts would get preference over them any day.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Look I've never done this hear say nonsense before BUT Roberts comes into my mates restuarant all the time and he hasn't touched a drink in over a year. He has made great improvements on and off the field (he wouldn't be at the club if he hadn't or had an attitude)

Thats not the case, the guy simply wants to play FG which is fair IMO
Just at the restaurant or in general lol..

I am not sure you can judge whether or not he has an attitude either based on this

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
"Attitude" does not = whether he drinks alcohol or not

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Can I dig that back up sometime this season? :grinning:

Roberts can play 4 or 5 positions, so if he really knuckled down and blitzed it in NSW Cup, then he will get a spot. If he doesn't, he has no one else to blame. Same goes with Armit. Perform or perish.

Reynolds is injured, and Sezer is still in the 20s, so Roberts would get preference over them any day.
A. Yes you may, I love being proven wrong ... I feel so naughty and I need to be punished lol

B. It was never about the "perform or perish" cause he wasn't selected on those merits IMHO

C. I know he'll get preference of course, but reserves are not meant to be internationals its an insult. He's position is only holding back junior players who deserve to be called up

Selfishly I agree, what an advantage it is having him in reserves BUT it ain't fair BECAUSE we have to be selfish to in order to accept it

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least half our NSW Cup side would consider themselves NRL players. If we release one, where does it end?

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Just at the restaurant or in general lol..

I am not sure you can judge whether or not he has an attitude either based on this
If you guys can base it on the fact he wants to play FG somewhere else, then I have every right to base it on the fact he has geniunely improved as a player and a person ... as shown by the fact the Bulldogs have shown committment through out the years

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
At least half our NSW Cup side would consider themselves NRL players. If we release one, where does it end?
Perhaps at 2 full seasons of FG, no wait how bout 4 ... 4 sounds good oh wait Roberts has had 6

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
A. Yes you may, I love being proven wrong ... I feel so naughty and I need to be punished lol

B. It was never about the "perform or perish" cause he wasn't selected on those merits IMHO

C. I know he'll get preference of course, but reserves are not meant to be internationals its an insult. He's position is only holding back junior players who deserve to be called up

Selfishly I agree, what an advantage it is having him in reserves BUT it ain't fair BECAUSE we have to be selfish to in order to accept it
Ben Roberts is not an international. He is a former international of only 3 games for NZ, and 3 games for (lol) Samoa. His last rep football for NZ was 4 years ago.

Halatau has played 15 games for NZ yet has played extended minutes in NSW Cup, but I don't recall any major objections to that. Players sometimes need to spend time in the lower grades for various reasons.

Personally, I would have Roberts on our bench, but I support any decision Moore makes, and I don't think it's preposterous that he is in NSW Cup. We've won 3 games against teams expected to make the 8. Why change?

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is that nature of building good depth.

Not everyone can play first grade all the time. The club doesn't owe him any favours and he got paid all last year while sitting on his arse getting healthy.

He should stfu and wait until next year when he signs a new contract.

What is it with these blokes, seriously.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Ben Roberts is not an international. He is a former international of only 3 games for NZ, and 3 games for (lol) Samoa. His last rep football for NZ was 4 years ago.

Halatau has played 15 games for NZ yet has played extensive minutes in NSW Cup, but I don't recall any major objections to that. Players sometimes need to spend time in the lower grades for various reasons.

Personally, I would have Roberts on our bench, but I support any decision Moore makes, and I don't think it's preposterous that he is in NSW Cup. We've won 3 games against teams expected to make the 8. Why change?
The circumstances around Roberts and Halatua are totally different, Halatua just came into the club he has no claim to demand anything

But when a player serves a role for many years under tough times and gets IMHO unfairly back seated to a new no name unproven bench player (all be it good player), he has some claim to say "look, it was a battle between me and Kris. Obviously he's your man long term, I'd like to keep my dream of playing FG at a club that wants me alive"

And if we're talking fairness, the club IMHO should let him do that.

Halatua is a backrower, playing NSW Cup is temporary cause those FG opportunities are just around the corner.

Roberts knows, WE know, Keating and Hodkinson have the halves long term !!!

Q-Tip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its only round 4 and he's given up trying to win his first grade spot back? C'mon. Man the fck up. I too support Moore's decision to keep Roberts in NSW Cup. We've got a winning formula so why change it. Until injuries start coming up or we're playing **** or Roberts has the right attitude and actually knuckles down and plays well then I'm happy with Moore's decision.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Its only round 4 and he's given up trying to win his first grade spot back? C'mon. Man the fck up. I too support Moore's decision to keep Roberts in NSW Cup. We've got a winning formula so why change it. Until injuries start coming up or we're playing **** or Roberts has the right attitude and actually knuckles down and plays well then I'm happy with Moore's decision.
No one is questioning Moore's decision

Status
Not open for further replies.