Dogs Block Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Its not like he is not getting paid. So I dont think dogs should be inclined to release him. Fair enough if he wasnt getting paid what was stipulated to him but in professional sport you can not have a whinge every time you get dropped. And there is a slight chance of someone getting injured and then he may be required. Kris keating was out for the season in 2009 (i think he missed a few months then never made it back into the team). That gave the chance to Mortimer to step in. Why would you get rid of Roberts mid season when we just blow 200K+ of the salary cap and cant really get anyone decent to come in.
I don't think it's about the money - it's about playing experience. I'd rather be in 1st grade than reserve grade, wouldn't you?

And if we released Roberts, I'm sure his salary would be pro-rata.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
no it wont

keating has the 6 jersey but it isnt a tight grip enough to hold onto if he has 2 or 3 bad games and we lose
I'd like to think there'd be a fight between Roberts and Keating for the position if one underperforms, but the halves combination is a pretty important one. I don't think dropping one of your halves is as easy as dropping any other person in the team. It affects the whole team's game.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think it's about the money - it's about playing experience. I'd rather be in 1st grade than reserve grade, wouldn't you?

And if we released Roberts, I'm sure his salary would be pro-rata.
Sure but it's not like the Titans or whoever else don't have the ability to watch NSW cup. He's on first grade pay, if he can't impress anyone from NSW cup enough to throw him a contract that is not the dogs fault imo. I still love the bloke and hope to see him play this year.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I'd like to think there'd be a fight between Roberts and Keating for the position if one underperforms, but the halves combination is a pretty important one. I don't think dropping one of your halves is as easy as dropping any other person in the team. It affects the whole team's game.
if we lose a few games and keating has the exact game as he had last week then roberts will take the five eighth position

actually i put my balls on it, but saying that i dont think we will lose a few games in a row this year

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Sure but it's not like the Titans or whoever else don't have the ability to watch NSW cup. He's on first grade pay, if he can't impress anyone from NSW cup enough to throw him a contract that is not the dogs fault imo. I still love the bloke and hope to see him play this year.
I'm pretty sure the whole reason Roberts is interested in going to the Titans is because they could play him in first grade NOW rather than him staying here and playing in reserve grade now.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
if we lose a few games and keating has the exact game as he had last week then roberts will take the five eighth position

actually i put my balls on it, but saying that i dont think we will lose a few games in a row this year
If that happens then I hope Roberts gets a crack, but I just don't think it'd be easy for Moore to make the call to break his halves up. Will be interesting to see, if it happens that is.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the whole reason Roberts is interested in going to the Titans is because they could play him in first grade NOW rather than him staying here and playing in reserve grade now.
Yeah I understand that and don't blame him for giving it a try, but in the end he's on first grade pay now and will be if he plays first grade next year. All he needs to do is put his head in and he will essentially be in the same position next year as he would if Keating never came.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that and don't blame him for giving it a try, but in the end he's on first grade pay now and will be if he plays first grade next year. All he needs to do is put his head in and he will essentially be in the same position next year as he would if Keating never came.
Yep that's true. For Roberts though it's pretty much 2 years away from first grade cos of his injury last year. I can understand his frustration but agree he should work hard in reserves and make Moore look stupid for not picking him!

Jigga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Roberts has had more than enough time to make the 5/8 position his, unfortunately he didn't and Keating got a crack, now if Ben was serious about playing first grade he should work his butt of and kill'em in reggies and the rest will take care of itself weather it be a call up or an offer to go elsewere, negotiate a new contract by all means if you want but man up and work hard and honour your current one.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep that's true. For Roberts though it's pretty much 2 years away from first grade cos of his injury last year. I can understand his frustration but agree he should work hard in reserves and make Moore look stupid for not picking him!
Exactly, it's not like he got completely owned in trial form by Keating. Fire up and make Moore give you the bench spot (and not the one that's meant for the last 5 minutes of a game). Then at the end of the year, he might even get a better offer than we could of afforded to give him.

Jigga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
totaly agree, i just don't like the idea of him leaving mid year, the club comes first and they could still need him, i completely understand also that he wants to play fg but tbh he is were he is for a reason and there are no easy outs unfortunately

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Roberts. From his point of view he is too good for NSW Cup and would be pissed off the club even signed Keating, but from the clubs point of view Roberts was inconsistent and never really proved he deserves a free reign as our five eighth, so they signed someone else. Now we have two decent five eighths and one has to miss out. If the club lets him go and Keating or Ennis suffer a serious injury, all we have in depth is a few untested players with potential. If there are no injuries and they continue their form, we are paying good coin for a bloke to play NSW Cup all year. If they let him go and we get injuries most of us will be saying we should have kept him.
The club has nothing to gain by letting him go apart from maybe front loading other players contracts a little. But Roberts has a huge amount to gain. A player who played for his country a few years back playing in front of a few hundred friends and die hards each week compared to the big time must be killing him.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
SEE SIG! club 1st, team 2nd, individual 3rd. i understand both sides to this, but i favour the club's decision. he can leave at the END of the season for mine

Unfortunately that is that nature of building good depth.

Not everyone can play first grade all the time. The club doesn't owe him any favours and he got paid all last year while sitting on his arse getting healthy.

He should stfu and wait until next year when he signs a new contract.

What is it with these blokes, seriously.
again, the voice of reason.

i understand the bloke wants to play 1st grade, but he can do that next year somewhere else, if things keep going the way they are. but we all know a season brings alot of changes and it's only round 4

we shall see how things go

:grinning:

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Another thing to think about - is Roberts costing someone their NSW Cup position by being in that team?

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"All he has done for the club"
Give me a break.
He has been very well paid for a number of seasons now without ever
fully delivering on his undoubted potential.

He has done bugger all for the club, particularly on the field.

Now he is no longer guarenteed a first grade position and has too actually dig in
and work for a spot, he should be allowed to leave?

Are you serious?

Let him leave at the end of the season when it suits the club and we can use his money
on worthwhile projects such as Jamal and Ashley Graham.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Roberts has had more than enough time to make the 5/8 position his, unfortunately he didn't and Keating got a crack, now if Ben was serious about playing first grade he should work his butt of and kill'em in reggies and the rest will take care of itself weather it be a call up or an offer to go elsewere, negotiate a new contract by all means if you want but man up and work hard and honour your current one.
Your talking out your as$ TBH, you have no idea how hard he is working or otherwise, and the artical (which inludes no quotes, and is from the Telecrap) even said no release was asked for so there is really no need for you to put the guy down.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Another thing to think about - is Roberts costing someone their NSW Cup position by being in that team?
if you cant make reserve grade then you have no hope

P

Paint.

lol... havent read all the posts, but people are saying Roberts shouldnt be asking to get a mid-year release?

And why is that? He has proven that he is FG quality, he has proven that outside a good halfback he is one of the best 5/8s in the comp, and he wants a spot in first grade rather than NSW Cup?
Why should he stfu?

P

Paint.

No, he pushed Nathan Smith to the bench (in halatau's position) and he's starting now that reynolds is injured

Status
Not open for further replies.