Not open for further replies.

fiddle

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dogs would be foolish not to do their best to keep idris

B4L

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So do yous still thing we will get graham and i think Tolman is on $275..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lett has only signed for 1 year, looking for a shot in FG .. I hope he gets an opportunity here in FG to show his worth otherwise he will be gone next year & he was NSW cup team of year for 2010 for good reason ... Big strong fast and a good jump ... He is a FG winger now IMO, Turner does the little things well but Lett can break a game open with his speed and finishing ability, our backline needs speed ...

I know Lett personally he is itching for a FG opportunity, if he gets a chance he will take it with both hands and not look back, its a difficult situation as Goodwin is a our goalkicker and Turner has been resigned for next year, so dunno what will happen even if he does impress in FG this year

Halatau is still contracted till end of next year ... Should be released for mine, too small for backrow and has lost his speed.. the game has changed since 2005

Tandy is on 140K/yr contracted till end next year ... Cant wait for this saga to be brought to a conclusion ... Would be happy for him to be in the team if he is cleared, his knock on was so subtle if the touchie missed it it would be non issue

Tia Kilifi ... Not needed
Thanks for clearing those up G-Dog.

I agree on Lett. Think he should replace Goodwin. Goodwin is solid and a decent goal kicker but Lett is a game breaker. Lett would move on if not given a chance this year. And if he goes well would command more as he could be very good. Maybe worth 200-250k. So that would make things tough.

Are you sure Halatau is under contract for next year? That means we would have signed him to a 3 year deal. Can't believe that.

Tandy could not be retained. We know he's guilty of at least a few bad things and he will get banned. His money wasn't included in my figures so that doesn't create more money.

Other than that do we know for sure who is off contract this year? Again, I hate all this crap in Round 2 talking about 2012, but with the stupid signing periods when they are, you can't not think about it as it impacts all of that.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing those up G-Dog.

I agree on Lett. Think he should replace Goodwin. Goodwin is solid and a decent goal kicker but Lett is a game breaker. Lett would move on if not given a chance this year. And if he goes well would command more as he could be very good. Maybe worth 200-250k. So that would make things tough.

Are you sure Halatau is under contract for next year? That means we would have signed him to a 3 year deal. Can't believe that.

Tandy could not be retained. We know he's guilty of at least a few bad things and he will get banned. His money wasn't included in my figures so that doesn't create more money.

Other than that do we know for sure who is off contract this year? Again, I hate all this crap in Round 2 talking about 2012, but with the stupid signing periods when they are, you can't not think about it as it impacts all of that.

Bulldogs Sign Dene Halatau
14/08/2009 2:47:34 PM
The Bulldogs have today added another International to their impressive 2010 playing roster by securing the services of premiership winning Kiwi International Dene Halatau on a three year deal.

Unfortunately 3 years, I honestly dont think he is needed in our squad... I can only see him being used to cover for injuries when we are at full strength

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bulldogs Sign Dene Halatau
14/08/2009 2:47:34 PM
The Bulldogs have today added another International to their impressive 2010 playing roster by securing the services of premiership winning Kiwi International Dene Halatau on a three year deal.

Unfortunately 3 years, I honestly dont think he is needed in our squad... I can only see him being used to cover for injuries when we are at full strength
Thanks for clearing that up. It's a shame because if they won't use him as a backup centre, and he's well down the pecking order as a second rower, then what is his purpose? Backup hooker maybe? Could be a waste of cap space which hurts us. Have no idea why they signed him for 3 years.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Idris is a player I would like to see identified with the Bulldogs for a long time. But, we've been in this situation before and it has always ended in disappointment. I'm remaining stoic over his future with us. If he stays - great! If he goes - we'll get over it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Be good if anyone could help, does anyone have info on who is off contract this season in the top 25 and in the NSW Cup? Or key youngsters? I know Sezer is off contract and it's imperative for me we re-sign him with Roberts' money and let Roberts walk. Obviously only if Keating keeps playing well.

Mitch used to have quality lists but it seems no one else seems to have access to that sort of info. Or at least a link for me so I can do it? That would be appreciated.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Lett personally he is itching for a FG opportunity, if he gets a chance he will take it with both hands and not look back, its a difficult situation as Goodwin is a our goalkicker and Turner has been resigned for next year, so dunno what will happen even if he does impress in FG this year
G-Dog, is Lett comfortable playing centre if needed or does he see himself as a winger and only that?

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm saying worst case scenario that we do give him 400k and that the cap remains at 4.3 million. Even then we have a couple of hundred thousand for three squad players after hopefully upgrading Foster & Kasiano to decent deals and hopefully convincing Sezer to stay for 150k which is quite a lot when he hasn't even played FG. Worst case scenario here and even then we are in solid shape. That's the point of the thread. Not about if Idris is worth it etc or how much he will actually get.

And like I said, if we utilise the Reserve Grade cap well, we can still keep some decent depth here and there. Hopefully some 20's kids step up and get put into the NRL squad on next to no money for a few years. If not, again, we have roughly 400k to spend on 3 backup players while already having good depth. Another good prop would be amazing and hard to find. Everything else we are set for.
Those two centres may cost that much on the field but off it they return the favour two times over and on it well that speaks for itself. The dogs have never really had a Charismatic player like Idris and he will grown our members and get more support for the dogs simply because of who he is just like Hazem. On the field our Props are running fine and Moore intends tou use Eastwood as a Front Rower just like he did before he left and like he did in Engaland. Tolman, Eastwood, Kasiano, Armit, Paea, Browne, Tapau and Possibly Tandy we dont need anyone there. Infact around the park i dont see a weakness in the dogs we have the perfect team and we shouldnt change a thing

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Those two centres may cost that much on the field but off it they return the favour two times over and on it well that speaks for itself. The dogs have never really had a Charismatic player like Idris and he will grown our members and get more support for the dogs simply because of who he is just like Hazem. On the field our Props are running fine and Moore intends tou use Eastwood as a Front Rower just like he did before he left and like he did in Engaland. Tolman, Eastwood, Kasiano, Armit, Paea, Browne, Tapau and Possibly Tandy we dont need anyone there. Infact around the park i dont see a weakness in the dogs we have the perfect team and we shouldnt change a thing
So you think in a few years we'll have one of the best teams in the comp and should be competing each year? Will you still say that if we re-sign Idris for 350k and finish 7th? I will as I think this is a rebuilding year. Anything else is a bonus.

I agree that our team is strong on paper. And I don't want us to keep buying players. Now the team needs to grow, gel and blend for a few years. Then I think we will be competing in a few years. You are right there and I agree.

What I'm saying is, that we're not leaving ourselves much room for error. This team has to work. Good news is, luckily we can re-sign Sezer (if he wants to stay) by getting rid of Roberts and will hopefully be able to retain Kasiano and Foster as they are definite keepers. Upgrading Barba in the future is key also. If we do that, we'll be a force for years to come injuries permitting.

Again, I agree, Eastwood will play prop and was great there. Tolman and him with Armit (think he's much more useful than Paea) and Kasiano and maybe Browne is solid. Tandy is gone. Forget about that one. One more prop would make me feel a little better. Hopefully someone like Taupau or Paea step up. Or even a new youngster.

I want us to keep Idris but in principle, it's crazy for teams to spend 700-750k on two centres. Hopefully we can get away with it. And the point of this thread was to point out that we are in good shape. And as you pointed out, we are.

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So you think in a few years we'll have one of the best teams in the comp and should be competing each year? Will you still say that if we re-sign Idris for 350k and finish 7th? I will as I think this is a rebuilding year. Anything else is a bonus.

I agree that our team is strong on paper. And I don't want us to keep buying players. Now the team needs to grow, gel and blend for a few years. Then I think we will be competing in a few years. You are right there and I agree.

What I'm saying is, that we're not leaving ourselves much room for error. This team has to work. Good news is, luckily we can re-sign Sezer (if he wants to stay) by getting rid of Roberts and will hopefully be able to retain Kasiano and Foster as they are definite keepers. Upgrading Barba in the future is key also. If we do that, we'll be a force for years to come injuries permitting.

Again, I agree, Eastwood will play prop and was great there. Tolman and him with Armit (think he's much more useful than Paea) and Kasiano and maybe Browne is solid. Tandy is gone. Forget about that one. One more prop would make me feel a little better. Hopefully someone like Taupau or Paea step up. Or even a new youngster.

I want us to keep Idris but in principle, it's crazy for teams to spend 700-750k on two centres. Hopefully we can get away with it. And the point of this thread was to point out that we are in good shape. And as you pointed out, we are.
I agree almost entirely but i dont think we will run 7th barring injury i think minor premiership and at least a grand final appearance. I think we have the BEST team right now the way they grinded one of the best attacking teams down on Monday was quite amazing. Even Benji said the tigers didnt play badly they were outplayed in the contest. In regards to the money i think things are changing and the second rowers these days play more like faster forwards so maybe there value is more. Like that run Morris did on monday he ran over the second rower Fulton and Jama ran all over Heighton so maybe due to the roles being different do you think it may be worth it on the centres considering they play like extra forwards.

In standard terms i would agree this is too much for centres but has the game changed that the centres roles have to?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree almost entirely but i dont think we will run 7th barring injury i think minor premiership and at least a grand final appearance. I think we have the BEST team right now the way they grinded one of the best attacking teams down on Monday was quite amazing. Even Benji said the tigers didnt play badly they were outplayed in the contest. In regards to the money i think things are changing and the second rowers these days play more like faster forwards so maybe there value is more. Like that run Morris did on monday he ran over the second rower Fulton and Jama ran all over Heighton so maybe due to the roles being different do you think it may be worth it on the centres considering they play like extra forwards.

In standard terms i would agree this is too much for centres but has the game changed that the centres roles have to?
Dunno mate. All of that could happen if we gel but you have to be realistic. This was one win. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. If we get an injury at hooker or halves, if Tolman gets picked for Origin, if we get lots of injuries and suspensions etc, sure we have depth but it's a tough comp and teams have lulls. We also have a very tough draw. I wouldn't be expecting that. If it happens it's a bonus. But that's my opinion and this is yours. That's fair enough.

Maybe. Can't answer that mate.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
marketing doesnt win nrl games
It keeps the fans in the stands, it keeps the atmosphere alive ...

In my dreams, we'll be defending champs every year

In reality, a premiership is won once every decade ... keeping the club strong, keeping the memberships high, keepign the excitement levels high EVERY week and having security within the league is JUST as important IMO

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
It keeps the fans in the stands, it keeps the atmosphere alive ...

In my dreams, we'll be defending champs every year

In reality, a premiership is won once every decade ... keeping the club strong, keeping the memberships high, keepign the excitement levels high EVERY week and having security within the league is JUST as important IMO
not if your a sharks or dragons fan hahahahahah

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
25 Man NRL Squad:

1: Barba: 200k (will deserve more soon if he flourishes, a lot more, but right now would be lucky to be getting that much)

2: Turner: 200k (might seem like a lot but is a rep winger and would command that much)

3: Morris: 350k

4: Idris: 400k

5: Goodwin: 180k (Don't think he is worth it, maybe on less but after having a breakout first year and playing for NZ would be something like this. Personally think we should replace him with Lett now and not re-sign him but Moore loves him)

6: Keating: 175k (People scoffed at his signing and I thought he was a bargain, just that we created more of a logjam. He's only played one game but he's proven me right and is a steal either way. Low risk at that price high reward.)

7: Hodkinson: 275k (Alot after 7 games but is great defender, very solid. Hopefully improves attacking kicking game and passing but still very young and I thank god every day, who I don't believe in, that we didn't sign Mortimer for 400k who is the most useless player I've ever seen)

8: Tolman: 325k (Great signing then and even better now. But we would have paid a nice price. He is worth it though)

9: Ennis: 325k (Have my problems with him but still top 5 hooker and still a good one who could be great)

10: Eastwood: 275k (Think he is on a bit less but just to be safe.....)

11: Pritchard: 400k (Crazy money and to sign him for that long is a disaster. If he plays to his potential, 600k would be a bargain. But prepared to get frustrated just like Penny fans have been for 8 years. I hope he proves me wrong.)

12: Ryan: 100k (Contract has been so front loaded that he's almost on nothing this season.

13: Stagg: 260k (Lock of the year, well sought after and was amazing for us. Could be on less)

14: Roberts: 200k (Off contract and will not be re-signed it appears. Comes off the books and hopefully use that money for Sezer.)

15: Armit: 125k (Personally think he's way more use than Paea and should be playing and kept around. He's solid and doesn't make mistakes. He's our third best prop behind Tolman and Eastwood.)

16: Millington: 120k (Signed til end of 2012. Don't see him being used much or offering much. Can't really play prop and our second row is too good for him)

17: Halatau: 150k (Off contract. Talented and injured, versatile player but has done nothing and where does he fit in? Does not need to be re-signed)

18: Hodgson: 80k (Appears to be on last legs. Still think he has more to offer than someone like Tapau at this stage but can't see us re-signing him and nor should we)

19: Payne: 100k (Can see him being re-signed. Better than I thought he would be, Moore likes him, local junior and wouldn't command much. Probably re-sign for just a little more if that)

20: Lett: 120k (Signed til end of next year. Again, think he is an NRL player, can offer a lot and think he should play instead of Goodwin. Great backup and think he should get a chance. Would kill it somewhere like Nth Qld or Canberra etc)

21: Warburton: 120k: (Good backup, seems to be improving. Dunno when he is off contract and may or may not be kept)

22: Tia Kilifi: 80k (Useless. No point keeping. Not in any frame for any position even with injuries galore Off contract and won't be re-signed)

23: Paea: 150k (Solid backup. Can do lots of good things and even more bad. Can't see him commanding much more than what he would be on)

24: Wright: 140k: (Came over from Parra with a few clubs after him so would cost a little. Thought he was good backup but the fact that he was supposed to be direct backup for Idris and Morris and even supposed to be good enough to fornce Idris into the second row, well the fact that we're picking an unknown 20's kid, allegedly, to replace Morris can't be a good sign. Signed til end of 12)

25: Tandy: (His 200-250k comes right off .
honestly, where did you get these figures?? why are you making this up? the telegraph wouldnt even stoop to this level to make an article.... honestly, everyones input and contribution on the kennel is fantastic, and makes good reading, debates and thoughts regarding the mighty blue n white team we all love, your input is also greatly appreciated on here too, but making up figures out of your ass makes no sense.... the salaries are totally wrong and made up...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
honestly, where did you get these figures?? why are you making this up? the telegraph wouldnt even stoop to this level to make an article.... honestly, everyones input and contribution on the kennel is fantastic, and makes good reading, debates and thoughts regarding the mighty blue n white team we all love, your input is also greatly appreciated on here too, but making up figures out of your ass makes no sense.... the salaries are totally wrong and made up...
Wow. Take it easy mate. They're off reported figures and guesswork. I admitted as much.

Many of our signings were widely reported through various outlets. Those reports, although they're not the contracts themselves, are genuinely pretty accurate.

Yes there is a lot of guesswork and the figures could be off by a couple of hundred thousand which is a lot but the thread was designed to try and see if we could get a rough idea of things.

I think, considering I've tried to take into account things like who got upgraded, who is off contract and who we know gets marquee bonuses, that I did a decent job.

Obviously I have to go back because some blokes who I thought were off contract weren't. So I have to double check that.

If you don't like the thread fine. I can understand that. Personally I hate talking about 2012 2 weeks into a new season too. But with all of this BS speculation and players can sign whenever, you have to think about it because the NRL rules are this tupid way.

Could I be way off? Probably. Yes. Could I be near the money? Maybe. Is it harmless? Yes. Do you need to be so aggressive and take it so seriously? No. Chill out.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're off reported figures and guesswork.

Yes there is a lot of guesswork and the figures could be off by a couple of hundred thousand.
lol...its all good mate :grinning: your posts are a joy to read regardless...thats why we all love this forum.... keep up the good work :grinning:

so how much by are we gonna kick the bunnies ass by tomorrow? any word on Morris' replacement? think everyone wondering who KMoore will pick....

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
OK. Players definitely off contract this season in our top 25 which come off the books or, if we re-sign, stay on:

Goodwin (180-200k. Been serviceable and solid but we can do better and should see what we have in Lett.)

Tia Kilifi (less than 100k you would think. Won't be re-signed)

Warburton (120-150k. You would think he will be signed in second tier cap or might move on?)

Hodgson (less than 100k. Surely this is his last year)

Tandy (160k a year. His funds get freed for next year too)

Armit (140k a year. Should be kept if he finds some form and gets a run. If not, move on)

Lett (100k. Would love for him to play FG and replace Goodwin. Think he is way too good for Reserves)

Paea (130k or so. OK for depth. Inconsistent player. Maybe re-sign)

Roberts (200k. Still early but looks like he won't feature. And even if he does, we have Sezer waiting in the wings)

Bobcat (100k. Contract was havily frontloaded. Should be re-signed and would come off books with great deal of salary with cap concessions. Would be good as backup and looked good on Monday night)

Payne (100k. Re-sign IMO if he stays healthy. Good backup)

That is a lot of players and a lot of money added up. A lot of dead wood.

Again, most players we'll re-sign won't cost us much more (unless Lett kills it but then you'd think we'd let Goodwin go and use his money to upgrade Lett) and we can get rid of dead weight.

Players like Foster and Kasiano will be bumped up to the 25 next year. As would Sezer if he re-signed. Then the rest would be finding players in Reserves (like Browne maybe or Taupau or Rhys Jack) who get a top grade spot on low money or we sign other journeyman for similar prices to fill out 3 or 4 spots.

End of 2012 is the tough one. We have Stagg, Turner, Barba, Keating, Halatau, Millington and Wright off contract. Re-signing Barba and upgrading him the obvious priority. But we should be in good shape to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.