Official Round 19 vs Souths - Team List and Game Day Thread

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The elephant in the room is Jake Averillo. Potter could see it but ciraldo couldn’t . Our attack looked way better with him playing FB. Although defensively I think perham is better with his positioning , averillo adds more to the team playing fb. The dogs are going to regret losing him I feel
It's concerning that so many of us could see this but we stuffed him around and in the end he has taken the money on offer.

I'm almost certain he will burn us when we play the dolphins next year. Many of our ex players do.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And we won with our reserve grade.
How on earth can any Dogs fan be embarrassed that commentators were praising us lol.

It happens so rarely.

Look at their regular team. How can they put that on the park under the salary cap....they should never lose by that criteria.

The disparity between the 2 rosters is chalk and cheese.

We won on the night against the team Souths put up. Same as other teams have thrashed us with our reserve grade team who arent a patch on their regular roster either. No one felt sorry for them beating us and they dont feel sorry for us beating bunnies now.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah no way averillos positioning is worse, yes it require improvement but perham was literally never in the right position and I'd watch him jog over in no rush, bruhhh..
The exceptional FBs are the type that can get under the attacker and prevent grounding of the ball when both players crash over the tryline. Very few of them can do this often or at all.

But if they can't do that, it doesn't mean they are poor.

Neither Averillo or Perham look like they are good at stopping tries getting under the ball but Averillo is ok in positioning. Perham not much better.

Perham talks alot but when the tram is copping 66 points and 50, then all the talk is useless.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Watched the highlights back the try off the kick off with Duncan making the break was Reed & Kyle defending together both came up with clean air on the tackle.

That was probably the worst defensive moment of the game. All we had to do was control that set and we finish the game without aging Ciraldo 10 years.

I can excuse Quai-Ward as he is inexperienced. For two experienced first graders to come up with that off the kick off in the middle of the field is paper thin D.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Watched the highlights back the try off the kick off with Duncan making the break was Reed & Kyle defending together both came up with clean air on the tackle.

That was probably the worst defensive moment of the game. All we had to do was control that set and we finish the game without aging Ciraldo 10 years.

I can excuse Quai-Ward as he is inexperienced. For two experienced first graders to come up with that off the kick off in the middle of the field is paper thin D.
Flanno wanted no part of it.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ciraldo has a problem in how he is going to manage Reed and The Gun. We need a workman prop in the middle to tighten up the D. I thought Reed had a great game until watching the highlights back, that D was garbage at a crucial time in the match.

Ciraldo cannot afford to have those two on the field in the middle again.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The exceptional FBs are the type that can get under the attacker and prevent grounding of the ball when both players crash over the tryline. Very few of them can do this often or at all.

But if they can't do that, it doesn't mean they are poor.

Neither Averillo or Perham look like they are good at stopping tries getting under the ball but Averillo is ok in positioning. Perham not much better.

Perham talks alot but when the tram is copping 66 points and 50, then all the talk is useless.
When the talk is "Hey, shut that gate, the horse is trying to escape" it is very useful...
When the talk is "Hey, it went that way", not so much.
It might also help if you, and the people you're talking to knew how to shut a gate.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hated this fkn game. They deadset scored every single time they were in our 20 - bar one when Burton got away with a loose ball and one where they scored from their own 20.

Whatever the fuck our "defensive structure" is - it is either fkn shit or the players are fkn shitter and literally cannot tackle anymore.

EQW is not the answer at centre.

Unsure if I fell into commentators narrative with Sexton also but we had like 6 sets in a row on their line and we got nothing out of him.. Jury is out.
Reed and Burton stuff up a lot of sets close to the line. They have zero idea what to do and don’t work towards anything. Hopefully Sexton can take more control over the next few weeks

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Right up there with the first barge-over try. That was just poor middle defence (straight through our middles: Sutton & RFM). Soft. Just terrible.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Right up there with the first barge-over try. That was just poor middle defence (straight through our middles: Sutton & RFM). Soft. Just terrible.
We tried a lot of crash plays but Souths defended those really well.

Sutton & RFM. Should the fullback be in the line looking for that play as well? I'm unsure on the fullbacks role in the crash play defending but you probably need 2 or 3 blokes to stop barge-arse close to the line line that.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We tried a lot of crash plays but Souths defended those really well.

Sutton & RFM. Should the fullback be in the line looking for that play as well? I'm unsure on the fullbacks role in the crash play defending but you probably need 2 or 3 blokes to stop barge-arse close to the line line that.
Max King (our third "middle") was nearby as well - maybe a bit harsh to say he could have become more involved in stopping that.
Fullback "might" have helped (not sure Jake could have added much there though) and they could have just as easily gone out the back, so he can't be everywhere at once.
I think good contact from Sutton & RFM should have been enough to hold that crash play, allowing time for support from King to arrive, if needed.
In the end, I reckon: poor awareness, bad read, lack of urgency, poor technique, and failed execution. Not the first time Sutton & RFM have been caught out like this, but they're not Robinson Crusoe either, in this regard this year. Still, they need to do better or not be there at all.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Max King (our third "middle") was nearby as well - maybe a bit harsh to say he could have become more involved in stopping that.
Fullback "might" have helped (not sure Jake could have added much there though) and they could have just as easily gone out the back, so he can't be everywhere at once.
I think good contact from Sutton & RFM should have been enough to hold that crash play, allowing time for support from King to arrive, if needed.
In the end, I reckon: poor awareness, bad read, lack of urgency, poor technique, and failed execution. Not the first time Sutton & RFM have been caught out like this, but they're not Robinson Crusoe either, in this regard this year. Still, they need to do better or not be there at all.
I'm not blaming Averillo in anyway for that but I'm just wondering how the best fullbacks in the comp ie: Edwards, Latrell, Gutherson would approach that play. Would they identify Barge-Arse as the danger man and move to that space etc.

Someone had to go to Havilii so RFM could go all in on Barge-arse, maybe it was a communication break down?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just also want to add that Alex Johnston got no tries! That shit is satisfying
My favourite stat from that game, the last pass finisher only **** always seems to score 3+ tries against over the years with biased refereeing

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty of teams have played other teams short on troops, that's SOO, we copped when we were successful, many many moons ago.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you believe that South’s coach the caarnt whinging about sin bins, penalties and rucks after all the favours they have received this year.
Don't most on here want our coach to complain about refs at press conferences? I'm glad he doesn't as that's what it sounds like, whining.