ranger vs Hilux

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring back solid front ends and leaf springs!! Cant stop laughing at the thought of the average 'Joe', probably more like 'Jose' these days getting out of a drive through with his lattes. All over the roof, dash and windscreen by the time they hit the exits...That suzuki did alright in that episode and I can vouch for pulling out the driveshaft to stumble for repairs. Imagine trying to touch the driveline of some of todays cars...computer would have a heart attack and shut down in a fit of road rage!!
I had a 85 zook as a weekender very fatiguing to drive used to go menai best lttle 4wd, now they getting 40k plus because the the wait is so long.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hence the renewed appeal for some the car makers over the years have swapped toughness durability for comfort and power at least in the 4wd ute market.
Yeah I do about 70k a year and have done for the last 25/30 years in all brands of Utes and they ALL have their issues , saying that manufacturers have swapped durability for comfort and power is BS IMO some manufacturers have incorporated into their vehicles some haven’t aI have put over 400 thousand kilometres on my last three dual cabs (2 rangers and a Colorado) with zero mechanical issues and my current Gen 2 has done 75k in the year I have had it with no issues but it is far and away the best dual cab I have ever used and at 185kw out of the box it eats everything else for towing and carrying weight including the v8 Land Cruiser Ute and uses half the fuel doing it.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive not owned or the vehicles you have own sounds like you look after them thats the key I've often wondered when people when problems have what is the history is service, way they drive etc

But if im offered a brand new 2004 Hilux with the componets of that era compared to a Hilux of today Id take the 2004 in a heart beat.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gen 2 v6 diesel ranger shits all over a Hilux and any other dual cab on the road
It shits all over the road too. And by that, I mean that it leaks oil everywhere.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
NISSAN Patrol that sort of shit but whoever complains about Toyota Hilux? Nobody

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ive not owned or the vehicles you have own sounds like you look after them thats the key I've often wondered when people when problems have what is the history is service, way they drive etc

But if im offered a brand new 2004 Hilux with the componets of that era compared to a Hilux of today Id take the 2004 in a heart beat.
Old ones are good. But a lot of that comes down to the owners. Anyone with a current 2004 Hilux, or current 1988 Pajero, or 1972 Land cruiser, or anything like that. They have it because they owned it since release and they take care of it.

Now days you get young tradies with rich Daddy money buying the newest vehicle and complaining that the motor crapped out when they never had a single service, or got it serviced by a cheap mechanic who basically looked at it and ticked off a chart rather than actually doing the work.

That also why you now see tradies buying Chinese models like the Great Wall vehicles, and having them just as reliable as the engineering king (Toyota)

If someone buys a Great Wall, they're doing it because they don't have much money. So it's an investment.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
GW first foray in the Aussie market was a failure Aussies wont give them a third chance so I do hope the build quality and materials they have decided on are acceptable quality because if they have not built a decent 4wd dual cab Aussies will find them out. So I watch this space with interest.

LDV different story ordered to pay back 39k for a Vehicle with rust protection rusted in a short time. Timothy Rigby - lifeguard on GC. John Cadogan did a podcast, and chassis was found to be of poor quality steel and stupid decision of dealer to ignore his claim. Owning an LDV in western Sydney probably would not be an issue assuming you hose off the mud. Interesting read.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
GW first foray in the Aussie market was a failure Aussies wont give them a third chance so I do hope the build quality and materials they have decided on are acceptable quality because if they have not built a decent 4wd dual cab Aussies will find them out. So I watch this space with interest.

LDV different story ordered to pay back 39k for a Vehicle with rust protection rusted in a short time. Timothy Rigby - lifeguard on GC. John Cadogan did a podcast, and chassis was found to be of poor quality steel and stupid decision of dealer to ignore his claim. Owning an LDV in western Sydney probably would not be an issue assuming you hose off the mud. Interesting read.
GWM have increased their penetration in the Australian market by around 40% each year. The Australian market is one of GWMs largest foreign markets now.

That doesn't say anything for the quality of the product. Just that Australia is soaking up GWM like crazy. Which makes sense because the Haval H6 is being well accepted as a slightly flawed, but still great competitor to the Toyota Rav4.

In regards to the LDV. Not sure about that one. Don't like LDVs personally. They're alright, but they're dumbed down on everything. They don't perform as we offroad. They don't have Android auto at all. Also, no DAB.

But Cadogan is also a bit of a shit reviewer. He's good to listen to for information, as long as you can do it critically and not ideologically like many of his watchers do.

He bases the majority of his information on educated guesses. Rather than, "I tested this vehicle", he says, "I read about this vehicle and it's probably shit because..."

He publicly states that btw. He states that he doesn't review most vehicles. He reads their spec sheets and judges them based on that. And based on what he believes about car companies.

That's why he always rates Chinese made vehicles as crap (because they don't have market share in Australia), and why he automatically scores any VW with the lowest score (because of dieselgate)

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I dont think Cadogan did any heavy lifting on the LDV case just reported what was in the media what I do like about his podcasts is when he speaks about engineering but some of podcasts can be a lesson in critical thinking. I dont know anyone with an current GW would like to hear their thoughts. I hope they are a success be good for competition, keep the big boys honest.

Just the way Toyota did in the 80s and 90s when Rodeo was king with release of MPI refined powerful good styling and then there was the bland underpowered simple 22R carby Hilux.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I had a 85 zook as a weekender very fatiguing to drive used to go menai best lttle 4wd, now they getting 40k plus because the the wait is so long.
mate even try finding a second hand 1....so popular and I will also vouch for their relability, never had a suzi 4x4 but Ive got 2 swifts on a farm that just dont die. The engines are good.