Donor Awareness - Worksheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had a good visit to Sydney to see our family dentist who has confirmed that my daughters and I have passed our dental check with flying colours. No sign of Souffsitis; all teeth present and accounted for.Lol.

As my dentist was finishing up the treatment he made the comment to me" Guess who I will be seeing immediately after you" Mouth full of instruments and water etc; I could not really answer him but sort of shrugged my shoulders.

Now I know full well he is the Canterbury club dentist and he is the player sponsor for Jersey 11, so obviously it was someone associated with the club. When I could actually acknowledge him verbally I asked " Player?"

"Uh uh" was the reply and before I could say anything else he blurted out.." Boss lady"

My eyes lit up and I asked him if he would mind me grabbing her prior to her appointment and speaking to her for a moment.

So as I was paying the bill, in walks.... Raelene. As I held the door open for her she acknowledged me, smiled and said '"Why hello, how are you?" (a semblance of recognition perhaps in her eyes?)

Now she did not know me by name before, but she does now ( silly me; I had never ever mentioned it the previous times we had spoken ) but when I spoke of the email, the contents and from whom it originated ( even the Forster bit)she acknowledged that yes, she had indeed received it. She assured me she will email me back as soon as she has had the opportunity to fully look at it and see what could be done.

Mentioned Ed and Drop Bear, the full Donor awareness thing and the fact that John Boulos from Parramatta was going to also receive an email ( "Yes, I do know John")She also remembered the Kennel BBQ day. Shook hands and then she was off for her appointment. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know that a lot have differing opinions but I have always found her approachable, never dismissive, very passionate about the Bulldogs and always gracious. This was no exception.

How sweet is that and how spooky that she just happened to be coming in this particular day and immediately after me ( mind you I had made the appointment back in April this year). I hope that this serendipitous moment is a good omen. Anyone else believe?

ADJECTIVE

1.occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way:
"a serendipitous encounter"

synonyms: chance · accidental · coincidental · lucky · fluky · fortuitous ·

Let's hope that this can go somewhere, no promises; but at least it is out there!
My mother was very proud of the fact that the first of her family arrived from Ireland in 1828. He nicked a horse!! LOL. She often said to me that if you want something done properly, get a women to do it!! I'm sorry I've been MIA, I thought I was back earlier in the week, but I'm right now. You are one amazing lady Dogluva. I have been speaking to Col this evening and have decided to scrap the original draft from myself to the Eels. I'll work out another as a joint letter from myself and Assassin and will run it by yourself and Col before we send them off. I'll always be an Eel at heart, but I'm also a proud member of your site.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
My mother was very proud of the fact that the first of her family arrived from Ireland in 1828. He nicked a horse!! LOL. She often said to me that if you want something done properly, get a women to do it!! I'm sorry I've been MIA, I thought I was back earlier in the week, but I'm right now. You are one amazing lady Dogluva. I have been speaking to Col this evening and have decided to scrap the original draft from myself to the Eels. I'll work out another as a joint letter from myself and Assassin and will run it by yourself and Col before we send them off. I'll always be an Eel at heart, but I'm also a proud member of your site.
DB you are fcken legend of this site too. dont worry.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets see what the result is from the Eels.
I know Drop Bear has already contacted (or about to contact) John Boulous and I am about to send my letter to him.
Been a bit slack with all sorts of distractions but dogluva has really set the pace here - try to catch up Col lol

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I AM SO F@CKING PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just opened up my emails and lookie here....................................................

HI Trish

Nice to see you today and many thanks for the email and attached letter.

I am a very big supporter of Organ Donation.

I am very happy to help with some communication to the NRL.

I have copied Adam Check on this email. Adam is the Head of Community for the NRL and is the best person to send your correspondence to.

Go fight the good fight.

Raelene

OMG I love that lady. True to her word she has at least pointed us in the right direction and has forwarded our email to the correct person in the NRL to deal with it. No doubt she will have put her two bob's worth in as well.

I will keep you guys apprised of any further developments in this; we have movement, let's keep it rolling.

This means that you Drop Bear may have a really good use for all the stats and communication with contacts at your end ( Kidney Australia etc.) and you Sir Col hopefully will have something back from John Boulos and your media friends.
Hey Trish well done and seems like you are getting some traction.

I wrote to the NRL for Ed's cause and they advised me to write to NRL One Community. I did this and received a generic letter stating they wouldn't be able to assist.

I hope that with your persistence and Raelene's influence that the NRL will actually assist

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do not underestimate the part you have played thus far. Both you and Sir Col have helped immensely and I like to think of us as a team and there is no I in team. I hope that the on forwarding of the email to the gentleman at the NRL will bring us some positive results. We have Aunty to thank for that.

Who knows what can be sorted out. If we can't get a dedicated round, we may get a dedicated game, anything to help "fight the good fight". Whatever we can gather in the way of stats and personal representations, media interest etc. will be of immense benefit. Any help that other posters on here can give no matter how small will make a difference in the long run. Your buddies from 1EE will still also be an important cog in the wheel.

It will take time and effort but with a concerted push by us all let's believe we can get something positive up and running. Not sure of down time with clubs and the NRL over summer but surely they will still be conducting important business; we just have to make our cause is part of that important business.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hey Trish well done and seems like you are getting some traction.

I wrote to the NRL for Ed's cause and they advised me to write to NRL One Community. I did this and received a generic letter stating they wouldn't be able to assist.

I hope that with your persistence and Raelene's influence that the NRL will actually assist
Your effort was good enough for me brother. Plus everything else you have done for me I'm forever grateful.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have written quite a few letters now to the CEO's and torn them all up as they were not good enough, I just couldn't get the right wording and I want to get this right the first time. I have a new slant on this now as the surgeon on Friday morning uttered those words I've been waiting for, pack your bag and wait for the call. Now, my family and I are waiting for another family to get a different phone call, one that will shatter their lives. My head is reeling at the moment, just with the thought of it. I have discussed this with so many people, both qualified and friends, but it doesn't seem to help. I can't really put my feelings into words and 12 months after the transplant, I will be sitting down to write another letter, one to the donor family, to tell them what their donor gift has meant to me and mine. I hope to have that letter right today, but please bear with me.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Congratulations brother, top news.

I know what you mean by the call to the other family, that is doing my head in too.

All the best and keep us updated.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
I won't even try to say I can begin to understand what you are going through guys.
Then again, one day IF my daughter ever comes up for transplant things will no doubt change dramatically.
Success is what I would wish for you both.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Sorry I've been awol. For the last month, I've been off the radar and well, self consumed might be a term I could use, but a few things have snapped me back into the real world, instead of my own. Today in particular. Just to clear something up with me, I undertake CAPD dialysis, which I do at home. This is not the same as Haemodialysis, where people go into the clinic 3 times a week to watch their blood pumped out and around a number of filters, whilst they sit in a chair for around 6 hours. I have a catheter which was implanted in me in October last year. It goes into my peritoneal cavity and has a lead, which is about 1/2 metre long, which I strap to my stomach. I do what they call an exchange 3-4 times a day, where I fill the cavity with 2 litres of fluid and a few hours later, drain it back out. It takes a bit of getting used to and after a while, becomes second nature. There is a mind set that comes with this that I think Eddie would identify with, two Id's for a lack of a better term. The first Id is your outgoing side, which keeps you going and allows you to face the hurdles as they come. A good sense of humour helps promote this. Then there is the other id, the one you try to hold at bay, as it comes in with the dark clouds and the 'why did this happen to me' thoughts. Over the last month, I've had a phosphate rash. The only way I can describe it to you is like living in an ants nest, 24 hours a day. You don't sleep and it sends you to the other id. That's where I was until the last week and it's taken an almighty effort to come back. Then today, I saw him.

I had to spend most of the day in clinic for testing. About half way through it a women came in, she would have been mid to late 40's and behind her came in a young bloke, who I thought may have been 20 ish. The first thing that struck me was the white cane, he was blind. They helped him into a seat and he pulled out the same catheter I have to start his dialysis. It broke my heart to see someone his age going through both blindness and kidney failure. I didn't know what to say, so I just said your too young to be here mate. His mum turned to me with a smile and said this is what too much alcohol and partying will do to you. It must have been an old joke with them as the young bloke broke out into one of the most wonderful smiles I have ever seen. At that point, I felt like giving myself a few uppercuts. That was also the moment I knew I was back and ready to get back into it.

So, please forgive my absence. I am currently seeking endorsement from a well known community group and will continue to work on this until we see it through.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome back drop bear bloody good to have you back the off season is sending us all a bit loopy I think

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Excuse me while I laugh uncontrollably at the off season remarks.
That said - onya DB - I will let the secret out guys - hopefully he will be working alongside my missus to generate a better deal for people like him - and others.

Now - over on 1 Eyed Eel the ORF SEEZUN (official term) is just as bad - PLUS - what all of us poor wretched RL fans suffer has been diagnosed as the ORF SEEZUN Malady - normally intelligent bloggers go loopy as hell - and everyone else just turn into mush.
Like all things - this too has come to PASS - and pass it surely will when the first whistle blows *NEXT YEAR*sigh*

Good things take time guys but we are still punching away at the Organ Donor Round - or similar.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hi All

Sorry I've been awol. For the last month, I've been off the radar and well, self consumed might be a term I could use, but a few things have snapped me back into the real world, instead of my own. Today in particular. Just to clear something up with me, I undertake CAPD dialysis, which I do at home. This is not the same as Haemodialysis, where people go into the clinic 3 times a week to watch their blood pumped out and around a number of filters, whilst they sit in a chair for around 6 hours. I have a catheter which was implanted in me in October last year. It goes into my peritoneal cavity and has a lead, which is about 1/2 metre long, which I strap to my stomach. I do what they call an exchange 3-4 times a day, where I fill the cavity with 2 litres of fluid and a few hours later, drain it back out. It takes a bit of getting used to and after a while, becomes second nature. There is a mind set that comes with this that I think Eddie would identify with, two Id's for a lack of a better term. The first Id is your outgoing side, which keeps you going and allows you to face the hurdles as they come. A good sense of humour helps promote this. Then there is the other id, the one you try to hold at bay, as it comes in with the dark clouds and the 'why did this happen to me' thoughts. Over the last month, I've had a phosphate rash. The only way I can describe it to you is like living in an ants nest, 24 hours a day. You don't sleep and it sends you to the other id. That's where I was until the last week and it's taken an almighty effort to come back. Then today, I saw him.

I had to spend most of the day in clinic for testing. About half way through it a women came in, she would have been mid to late 40's and behind her came in a young bloke, who I thought may have been 20 ish. The first thing that struck me was the white cane, he was blind. They helped him into a seat and he pulled out the same catheter I have to start his dialysis. It broke my heart to see someone his age going through both blindness and kidney failure. I didn't know what to say, so I just said your too young to be here mate. His mum turned to me with a smile and said this is what too much alcohol and partying will do to you. It must have been an old joke with them as the young bloke broke out into one of the most wonderful smiles I have ever seen. At that point, I felt like giving myself a few uppercuts. That was also the moment I knew I was back and ready to get back into it.

So, please forgive my absence. I am currently seeking endorsement from a well known community group and will continue to work on this until we see it through.
Welcome back mate.

I can honestly say I agree with everything you wrote brother.

It's the little things that make us snap in between our ID's.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I've been back on my bike this week peddling away. I live in the Ipswich Jets territory and the local member, Jennifer Howard, was kind enough to spare me some time so we could have a nag, even though I'm not in her electorate. One of the things we discussed was the state of the dialysis unit in Ipswich and service provision for those who are not as fortunate as myself. I'll be having another meeting with her soon and the subject of donor awareness will be raised and not just for kidney's but across the board. I was hoping to gain the endorsement of an identified donor support community group, but politics are in the way at present. Will keep door knocking and I hope to have something more concrete to report back on next week, but small steps at the moment to gain support. Is it really two months before the pre-season? We may all end up attending Beyond Blue sessions:-((

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well I've been back on my bike this week peddling away. I live in the Ipswich Jets territory and the local member, Jennifer Howard, was kind enough to spare me some time so we could have a nag, even though I'm not in her electorate. One of the things we discussed was the state of the dialysis unit in Ipswich and service provision for those who are not as fortunate as myself. I'll be having another meeting with her soon and the subject of donor awareness will be raised and not just for kidney's but across the board. I was hoping to gain the endorsement of an identified donor support community group, but politics are in the way at present. Will keep door knocking and I hope to have something more concrete to report back on next week, but small steps at the moment to gain support. Is it really two months before the pre-season? We may all end up attending Beyond Blue sessions:-((

keep up the good work champ.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You're a good man DB.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Finally got my reply to the email to the NRL and I will be talking with a gentleman from there on Monday. Fasten those seatbelts people, hopefully we can get something going with our Donor awareness round. Will keep you advised.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Well done Dogluva, God bless ya.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Finally got my reply to the email to the NRL and I will be talking with a gentleman from there on Monday. Fasten those seatbelts people, hopefully we can get something going with our Donor awareness round. Will keep you advised.
Dogluva, win, lose or draw, you are one outstanding lady. I'm going to have a real problem come round 3 next year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.