Donor Awareness - Worksheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few of us have been kicking aroundideas to help with donor awareness and this thread is a worksheet forideas, from anyone interested. I'm only new to the site, and likeAssassin, who as Mr I has described us as brothers from a differentmother, are in the pipeline for a transplant. This thread isn't aboutus. It's actually about you. I consider myself very lucky. In mycase, I am on a kidney transplant list and it may only be a matter ofmonths for me due to tissue and blood type. I've known this day iscoming for 13 years, so I've had time to prepare. Many people I havemeet at clinic have had no warning. They got up one morning, feltsomething was horribly wrong and later that day, found themselves ondialysis. Their world as they know it, their plans, their dreams,their hopes of an overseas trip, all gone. Guess what. For one of youreading this, it may well be your future!!

Organ transplants are not cures, theyare more like lifeboats, but they buy you time. I can assure you andI know Assassin will back me here, that when the doctor says timesup, all the regrets of what you now cannot do start flooding in. Nowas an adult, when this happens, you can cope, it's all a matter ofstaying positive and a lot of wishful thinking, but that's just me.What if your not an adult, haven't had the opportunity to live yourlife. If your a parent, I'm now talking about your children.

I belong to a group you don't want tojoin. I lost my youngest daughter in 1987 at the age of 16 months. Ican't put into words the pain that comes with losing a child and asmuch as the years may dull the pain, it always remains. As a result,I am very sensitive when I see a child in distress. When you are ondialysis, you see them at clinic. Have you ever looked into the eyesof a child with a terminal illness? I have and it is the most painfulthing you could experience. You will see joy and happiness, as youdo with all young children, but you will also see the confusion, theknowledge that something is wrong, but in many cases, not knowingwhat it is. In older children, especially in the teenager range, thatlook of confusion is often replaced with fear and terror. But yet,they still strive to go on and live life as best they can.

So, what can we do to help. A simpletick to become an organ donor will go a long way towards saving many,especially children and their families, from going through this.Assassin made a quip about sticking his old heart on a trophy andhaving a game against the Eels for it to promote Donor Awareness. ADonors Cup?. A few of us have discussed this and other ideas ofincluding a cup game for the bottom eight during finals. Do you havean idea that might work?. Are you connected to the Club??

Over to you.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Thread stickied ... will add more in when I have a chance... but a great initiative to get behind.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Awesome work brother.

Like we said even if we save one child's life I would think of us as successful.

I may look and act tough but a sick child brings me to tears and unfortunately, I have seen too many kids/teens waiting for a transplant. Makes my illness look like nothing.

The more people that are aware and become donors the better.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK - some info I gleaned today.
If we can get the Dogs and the Eels clubs onside we can probably approach the NRL to have a FULL round dedicated to Organ Donor Awareness.
Now to the sensitive issue - it could also be called the Nathan Gremo Organ Donor's Round or something similar.
However I would not dare approach his family unless we have this set in cement.
If we get the Dogs / Eels clubs backing this then they "may" be able to influence other clubs to also support a proposal to the NRL.
I know there is a lot of juggling going on behind the scenes atm and so far we look like we can get some good support in various media.

We need as many contacts as we can get - so guys let's make this happen.
I will be posting a similar blog on 1 Eyed Eel.

[Edit] If we have 2 guys from 2 clubs in this position - I am betting there would be quite a few in the same position throughout ALL the clubs .

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thanks for youreading help Col, hope it takes off!

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
For those of you that may still be hooked onto 1 Eyed Eel a similar blog is now posted - with this blog from Drop Bear added.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I received another email back from Kat Logan from The Roar over the weekend and she has expressed interest in what we are trying to do. I have given her the link to this thread and asked if she could add any ideas to help. I'm just wondering if I shouldn't change the title of the thread?. We could really use a show of support here for Assassins idea. If anyone reads this and you support donor awareness, perhaps you could leave a comment, just saying you do, or you are a donor. The comment we are hoping for is that you have decided to become a donor:-). Remember, you could save a life with just one little tick.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to lighten the tone slightly - with NO disrespect - My missus says she is donating my body to Science when the time comes - or perhaps a little sooner (which is a bit of a concern)
She reckons nobody should have survived 1/2 the stuff I have been through. LOL
My entire family are on the Organ Donor list.
Up here in QueeRZland, when you drop off the perch and have ticked the Organ Donor box, the law says the family MUST still give their consent to have your wishes carried out.
Only in QueeRZland could they think up something like this.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
great thread DB and initiative.

Last edited by a moderator:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just to lighten the tone slightly - with NO disrespect - My missus says she is donating my body to Science when the time comes - or perhaps a little sooner (which is a bit of a concern)
She reckons nobody should have survived 1/2 the stuff I have been through. LOL
My entire family are on the Organ Donor list.
Up here in QueeRZland, when you drop off the perch and have ticked the Organ Donor box, the law says the family MUST still give their consent to have your wishes carried out.
Only in QueeRZland could they think up something like this.
Unfortunately Sir Col that is the way things are done. I have given my family explicit directions that my organs are to be donated, no ifs no buts.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've started working on getting the required demographics and figures for a draft proposal. We will also be getting a few public visitors to this thread, to see how we are going.

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
I looked up the rules for organ donation in New Zealand. It is the same as in Australia. You can have yourself listed as a donor on your drivers licence but your family has the last say and can go against your wishes if they want to. I have already told my partner that I want to donate my organs if possible and he does too but might be a good time to have that conversation again. He knows I also want to donate my body (if there is anything left) to science as we have an anatomy department and med school in our town. It actually says on the NZ organ donation site that in most cases you can do both which is good to know.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I raised the question this morning with someone in a support service, if a person's stated desire in a will overrides a families objection. It appears this may be a good question and I'm thinking of writing of to the QLD Attorney General to check.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I raised the question this morning with someone in a support service, if a person's stated desire in a will overrides a families objection. It appears this may be a good question and I'm thinking of writing of to the QLD Attorney General to check.
It appears that the hospital ( if that is where the person passes away) cannot act on the potential donors wishes regarding organ donation ( as noted on their licence or register) without first asking the next of kin. Permission via a notation in a will would more than likely be problematic for them as time is of the essence when considering harvesting. Food for thought though and well worth asking the question. By the way I PM'd Sir Col regarding any help I can give. Am working on it and will let you know the outcome.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've started working on getting the required demographics and figures for a draft proposal. We will also be getting a few public visitors to this thread, to see how we are going.
Excellent. Facts and figures needed but no harm in speaking to the Club bosses to sound them out. Am working on it.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellent. Facts and figures needed but no harm in speaking to the Club bosses to sound them out. Am working on it.
Thank you so much Dogluva. Your help is greatly appreciated.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone involved.

Just remember, even if one child's life is saved by raising awareness then we are successful.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Special thanks to dogluva who is doing a massive job behind the scenes.
I won't steal your thunder - will let you announce your achievements when you have everything in place.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I had a quick look at some of her work and all I can say is WOW!

You're a super lady Dogluva!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I had a quick look at some of her work and all I can say is WOW!

You're a super lady Dogluva!
Thank you Assassin; I do the best I can as I really believe in what these guys are trying to do, not for any other reason. Our reward will be the difference we can make for you, Drop Bear and every other person out there waiting for a chance to have a better life. I certainly count my blessings each and every day that my husband, my kids and myself have a healthy life free of the problems experienced by those waiting for a transplant ( or any other illness for that matter) and if I can give back in any way all good.

I think that a lot of people are simply scared to make the commitment by registering and making their wishes known but also a lot also don't realise that by consenting to donate organs in the event of the death of oneself or a loved one it can help in the grieving process for those left behind; well that is the way I think anyway. A nice thought to think that a little piece of us can live on and do some good.
We will get there; we just want to get it right. Big shout out to Sir Col and Drop Bear for pointing us in the right direction.

"So many people waiting and not enough people donating" sounds like a good little catchphrase to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.