Opinion Did Dogs fans boo Hutchison

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was sitting on the western side of the field on the 10m line at the southern end and could hear booing. It was an element of booing that was mixed in with some cheering, but it definitely happened. Bad look. Foxsports hacks must have been salivating at it so they could report it in the paper.
Many Knights fans in the area? They may have been booing Hutch being taken off lol.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hutcho's so slow jokes!

Hutcho's so slow, when he steps anywhere, they lay witches hats and apply for a permit and wait for its approval, before he is allowed to engage the move.

Hutcho's so slow, his nanna can bake jam and cream scones and serve 'em up to the entire Dogs backline before he can promote one lousy pass to an unmarked outside back.

I don't agree with the booing but he does deserve the jokes :grinning: lol
Hey at least we don’t have Foran anymore. Legend has it he is still in the process of taking a field goal.

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think it’s short sighted to boo him. Whilst Taaffe contributed to a try, did he not also lead to letting one in with best’s try? Hutchison might not be the flashiest player but he gets the fundamentals done and is probably our best defensive halfback in the squad. We have enough strike in our backline that we don’t really need a flash halfback. The combinations will improve over time if he gets a chance. I think this is a what Ciraldo is hoping to achieve.

I just think all the love for Taaffe at halfback is a bit premature based off 10mins against tiring defence when we were up by 20+

Would rather see Taaffe play 7 in nsw cup for a few games if this change was being considered
The few minutes Taaffe was on the field last week was enough to unlock Crichton’s potency. Attacking wise Taaffe is a massive upgrade on Hutch everyday of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Journos would’ve been all over it if he was booed lead by Drunkfield let’s face it.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The few minutes Taaffe was on the field last week was enough to unlock Crichton’s potency. Attacking wise Taaffe is a massive upgrade on Hutch everyday of the week.

I understand that. All im saying is we were up at the time. We were still scoring points with hutch on the field. Taaffe impact in attack was notable but on flip side his lapse in defence cost us a try in the 10mins he was on. The way we are playing we can score points so defence is probably going to get you picked over flair which is why I think Ciraldo is persistent with hutch.
No point is being able to contribute to 2-3 tries a game if you’re going to contribute to letting in 2-3 tries a game. Ezra Mam is a good example all you hear about is how good he is in attack but he lets plenty in. Especially when they played the dolphins the other week. Commentary just ignored it and kept focusing on how good his attack was going

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I understand that. All im saying is we were up at the time. We were still scoring points with hutch on the field. Taaffe impact in attack was notable but on flip side his lapse in defence cost us a try in the 10mins he was on. The way we are playing we can score points so defence is probably going to get you picked over flair which is why I think Ciraldo is persistent with hutch.
No point is being able to contribute to 2-3 tries a game if you’re going to contribute to letting in 2-3 tries a game. Ezra Mam is a good example all you hear about is how good he is in attack but he lets plenty in. Especially when they played the dolphins the other week. Commentary just ignored it and kept focusing on how good his attack was going
I think for a half attack is more important then defense because a half that can attack will open opportunities for other players.. not saying defense isn’t important but I would rather a half that can create For himself and for others over a snail.

also as someone already mentioned Hutchinson defense isn’t that great.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Journos would’ve been all over it if he was booed lead by Drunkfield let’s face it.
DOGS RALLY BEHIND STRUGGLING STAR
Drew Hutchison has struggled since arriving at Canterbury. (Getty)
Bulldogs fans have rallied behind halfback Drew Hutchison after he was booed off the field during last Sunday's win over the Knights.

Hutchison - who isn't a world beater but is a good, solid first grader - was heckled and jeered by a section of the crowd at Homebush when replaced late in the game.

But several Bulldogs fan websites have jumped in to defend the 28-year-old utility, who has played every game for the club this season and been solid.

"These so-called fans are not supporters of our club," one Bulldogs insider commented.

"They are just imbeciles and we would be better if they just went away.

"Fortunately they are just a small minority and most of the supporter base is great."

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m all for cursing and letting off an “ooooooohhhh” when a player fucks up but bulldogs fans shouldn’t be booing their own players.

A few exceptions like Michael Ennis when he played for us deserved to be booed all the time and things thrown at him.

Crashdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think for a half attack is more important then defense because a half that can attack will open opportunities for other players.. not saying defense isn’t important but I would rather a half that can create For himself and for others over a snail.

Not sure who your ‘someone’ is but if he was relying on the missed/ ineffective tackle count then he has no idea. One of the basics of CC’s defence strategy is for Mahoney (middle), Hutch (right) and Salmon (left) to be up in the face of the attacker ASAP. While CC would obviously prefer an effective tackle from them every time the idea is for even an ‘ineffective’ tackle to jolt the attackers’s momentum sufficiently for other defenders to effect the tackle and wrap up the ball. So, what the statisticians put down as ineffective is following CC’s instructions to the letter. Most league followers have no idea of strategies being employed both in attack and defence and what specific instructions are being given to each individual player. All they are looking for is who looks good.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’m all for cursing and letting off an “ooooooohhhh” when a player fucks up but bulldogs fans shouldn’t be booing their own players.

A few exceptions like Michael Ennis when he played for us deserved to be booed all the time and things thrown at him.
Sonny Bill Williams also

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

That’s a fair opinion.
I would rather see Taaffe play 80mins in the front line in nsw cup before I decide he’s good for first grade when he hasn’t played a game of first grade as a halfback for a while. We haven’t lacked points of late. If it was 3 years ago and we didn’t have the strike we currently have out wide yeah try it. But we’ve gone from players like holland, Montoya etc that have lacked speed and strike for guys like fox crichton Kiraz and Xerri. It’s cheese and chalk.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
PS this time last year the whole team was booed lol

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't understand where this "Hutcho is a good defender" narrative is coming from? Is this just what people tell themselves because Ciraldo keeps picking him?

In terms of front on defence he's pretty good for a half but outside of that he has been caught out numerous times due to poor reads or his lack of mobility. Statistically speaking he also has some of the worst defensive numbers for a half in the game. No half has missed more tackles than him, 3rd worst for try causes and 2nd worst for line break causes.
Don’t let statistics stop others from getting on their high horse lol

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Thurston is a good example and another is Sam Walker. Neither are/were great defenders but created so many opportunities for their respective teams.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I seriously didn't hear any booing when he came off and/or when his name got called out during the team announcements. I just heard a cheer when Taffee came on.

As a matter of fact, many of us clapped and cheered him when he got to the bench after being subbed. He was clearly spent after giving it his all.

I may not want him as our 7 atm, but he doesn't deserve to be booed as the bloke tries his heart out.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the booing is like the topine wrestling thing, if you are late then you have to wrestle, if you play bad then you get booed
2 completely different things .. Hutchison is giving everything for his brothers and the club..the other one is not committed to his brothers or the club that gave him a chance at a career. Topine deserves no respect where Hutchison 100% does.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can is being really stubborn with hutch like he cant admit he got it wrong,theres nothing drew does to warrant selection,cant catch ,misses tackles,falls over,stuffs our attack,come on cam fmd

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Can is being really stubborn with hutch like he cant admit he got it wrong,theres nothing drew does to warrant selection,cant catch ,misses tackles,falls over,stuffs our attack,come on cam fmd
If Ciraldo thought there was a better alternative at the club that player would be in the seven jersey, But obviously he doesn't believe there is. So how is he being stubborn? Because he isn't changing a player that you think he should? How did he get it wrong? we are running 9th ahead of the cows,dragons,warriors,tigers,eels,knights,titans,and rabbits. If anyone is wrong it's not ciraldo. SMFH.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Ciraldo thought there was a better alternative at the club that player would be in the seven jersey, But obviously he doesn't believe there is. So how is he being stubborn? Because he isn't changing a player that you think he should? How did he get it wrong? we are running 9th ahead of the cows,dragons,warriors,tigers,eels,knights,titans,and rabbits. If anyone is wrong it's not ciraldo. SMFH.
he has a gun team compared to years gone by seriously if you cant see that youre missing the point ,i get not much ready at 7 yet but hes awful not even a good defender lets trys in ,anyone else is dropped