Opinion Did Dogs fans boo Hutchison

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm simple comparing the roles. Perry tackled his ass off and Corey Hughes came on with a bit of creativity around the ruck.
But they aren't similar at all. Hutchison costs us tries & points. Perry never did that.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm a Hutch fan. I'd compare him to Adam Perry at hooker, nothing flash but goes out there to do the job instructed by the coach.
Can a team afford to 'carry a non-flash) player now? I rate Perry's effectiveness over Hutchinson at the moment.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or Maybe

The crowd cheered Hutchinson for the effort he put in.

And

The crowd cheered Taafe for making a comeback after being knocked out 2 weeks back.
Nice try, but it the cheering was for him being replaced, which made me feel uncomfortable let alone Hutch himself.

Anyway.....we can a GF with him and people will still complain....

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Myself, ive never booed a bulldogs player however bad they are going. I dont think hutcho is bad, his defence is great and he tries hard, maybe not creative enough for 7 though. He would make a good 14, but we do have a heap of those. Prefer mann in 14 myself

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes, bad form to boo your own player - totally agreed. But we that make up the crowd that lives in a democracy, that pays hard earned money in a cost of living crisis., we are free to voice our frustrations freely. If those who are easily outraged by some booing should try living in North Korea where no one can have a voice. That would be even more dire.

As in Roman days, the mob needs to be entertained and we are surely not entertained by Hutchinson's monotonous step inside that is as slow as a turtle giving birth...to twins.

View attachment 107356
Ahh living in a world of entitlement where our money spent means we can behave like dickheads and show no respect. I would rather live in a community that's respectful and responsible. Judgement and intolerance rules our community these days. I'm a loyal Blue and White Fan and will never show poor behaviour and boo a bloke for having a go and giving their all. Our Club was built on values that were the envy of the rest of the league. Parra players deserved for example copped a spray from their Coach for leaking 40 pts in less than 30 min of footy.. part time footy players he called them. However.... We didn't see their long suffering fans turn on their team. I love watching this Bulldogs team this year. Most connected and resilient one we have seen in years. Let's get behind them and hope Ciro can work to make the adjustments required. Bulldogs 4 ever !

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Speaking from the games I've been to this year. I haven't heard any booing of Hutch.

I only heard groans at the Souffs & Rorters game when he ran on the 4th and got caught.

He got cheers for his defense vs Titan where he jammed in and made the tackles ball and all. Likewise in the first half vs Rooster he had some defensive reads which got cheered. 2nd half went to shit and there wasn't much cheering lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't understand where this "Hutcho is a good defender" narrative is coming from? Is this just what people tell themselves because Ciraldo keeps picking him?

In terms of front on defence he's pretty good for a half but outside of that he has been caught out numerous times due to poor reads or his lack of mobility. Statistically speaking he also has some of the worst defensive numbers for a half in the game. No half has missed more tackles than him, 3rd worst for try causes and 2nd worst for line break causes.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have no one else besides Hutchinson, Sexton isn’t going to be the revelation who sorts all our attacking woes or guarantees an improvement. Seeing Hutchinson bark on and on is great we know Burton isn’t a leader figure as of yet someone has to do it.

Hope his in that 7 until the final day of the season no world of a lie. You don’t have a fuck about when there’s no better solution.

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Love him or hate him without Hutcho, I don’t think Burton will be in form without his organisation. He just needs to shake off that he’s not a forward anymore and he’ll be ok.
Um - well lets kill 2 birds with one stone here.
Maybe he should be a forward?
A slo-Yeo #13 - who can still bring all his quality traits to the team eg., (D, communication & organisation, good kicking game, good bloke etc) AND allow a zippier half to play (Taaffe, O'Neill, Sexton). Question is who makes way for him. For mine it is Salmon - who is surely only in the team for his tackling and his ability to get up quickly after tackling (underestimate this skill at your peril). Look at all those big boppers last year who allowed space in the middle of the ruck.
So do is that a fair trade??

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't understand where this "Hutcho is a good defender" narrative is coming from? Is this just what people tell themselves because Ciraldo keeps picking him?

In terms of front on defence he's pretty good for a half but outside of that he has been caught out numerous times due to poor reads or his lack of mobility. Statistically speaking he also has some of the worst defensive numbers for a half in the game. No half has missed more tackles than him, 3rd worst for try causes and 2nd worst for line break causes.
Hutch stops some big blokes 'front on' close to the line - 1 on 1. Not sure Taafe or Sexton could/would?
I agree his lateral movement is a concern & I'm not a big Hutch fan either, but ....CC seems to like him.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
lol at booing a player in a winning side? Some of our fans are fucking morons. But it must be the cost of living crisis…

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its simple.
Size does matter.

By having 2 big halves in Hutch and Burton, opposition players have no small guy to run to. If they look for Reed, Mann or Morrin they have another coming coz those guys dont back down and tackle well.

But in all truth, Hutch does alot of the organising off the ball. Whether its attack or defence.

I said at the start of the year, he'll be the first player picked. I even said he'd be my first pick for captain. That one didnt happen, not formally anyway.

I dont mind him straightening and going for a run every once in a while. It keeps the defence honest and stops them sliding early which sets up the next spread play. It becomes a game of chess.

Everyone thinks he has cost us points. This is not necessarily true. There is no guarantee (in fact its less than 50% chance) that if he passes, we score. I dont recall any plays in the 7 odf games where he butchered a certain try. The souths one comes to mind, but it was still not a definite try scenario. Should have passed on that occassion as it was a better option than stepping and finding Max King (of all people) in the middle.

The fact of the matter is that we are a better 80min team unit with him in the halves and im glad CC sees it the same way.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know if it happened or not, wasn't at the game but if it did, then that's pretty pathetic. No matter how much fans might not rate him or want someone else in his place, booing your own player, especially when we're winning and playing well is piss poor..

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I heard the boos before kickoff when the team list was being shown and read out on the big screen.
I didn’t have an issue with it, he frustrates most of us anyway.

I still can’t believe sexton isnt the 7

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No one surely condones booing our players but it's been going on at other clubs and other sports and is kinda a national past time to boo refs, the opposition generally and opposition players in particular.

It's not a good look to boo your own but Hutch has gotten a far better go at the Bulldogs than he has in any other NRL club he's played at. He probably accepts it's part and parcel of crowd participation in RL and like every other player knowledges the highs (cheering) and lows (boos) of tribalism team sport.

As long as he has the support of his team mates and coach, he probably wouldn't be bothered with the usual niff nuff section of the crowd who booed...there's not much can be done about them.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You said it .... FRONT ON DEFENSE, it's very good and hard to get from traditional halfbacks .... Hutch is playing a hybrid 7/13 in my opinion ....

Stats can be deceiving in defense .... we missed 35 against Newcastle and they barely made a break.

I prefer to know who was run over the top of, rather than simply missed tackles .... my eye test tells me Hutch is rarely run over.

Hutch missed Papenhousen three times in the one play ... i applauded his effort .... most bagged shit out of him.

I have noted on more than a few occasions he has tried to cover for others and ended up looking bad himself .... it happens.

No doubt his lack of agility/mobility hampers him at times ..... but it is a case of pick your poison .... solid front on defense V a more traditional type half who attempts to makes the tackle anyway he can.

Give me the competent front on defender every time .... unless we are talking about a brilliant attacking 7 which Sexton isn't.

This isn't a Hutch love fest either .... if he were dropped tomorrow i would say fair enough.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the booing is like the topine wrestling thing, if you are late then you have to wrestle, if you play bad then you get booed