Brain Teasers

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nope - just because you have Virat Kohli saying the answer...

So - good ole Uncle Doogie has just opened its his first beer, snags are ready for the bbq and is currently prepping the potato salad - so I got a few mins to show all my brilliance (which most of you already know and others who don't I cannot say).
View attachment 98478
So lets piss off the beer and make it a tap. We also assume the following:
- all glasses are the same size
- the outflow orifice (love that term) is consistent diameter
- the outflow orifice flow rate > that the inflow rate of the tap (or this is pointless as it'll be #1)
- the density and viscosity of the fluid allows uniform flow over a free surface (not fckng around with Reynolds numbers and cavitation on this baby).
- the entire setup is subject to gravity.

5 and 7 are out - not connected.
1, 2 and 3 will continue to drain due to the third point above (and 2 will never get any love because of my third point). So that will knock out #4.

So its 6 - we have a winner.

Never listen to Kohli - he's a dick.
How is 6 getting the fluid? I could only see it getting it from overflow from 1 and/or 3 which would both need to be full for that to happen.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't end (cap) a pipe like that in a PID. And that schematic is a PID.

Go hire an Indian plumber and let me know how it goes...
Ahh. I get it. You're assuming that the pipe wouldn't be capped because it's illogical. But the whole puzzle is illogical and the pipe is clearly capped.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry I read the second one as If a US military plane crashes....

My bad.
In that case, it depends who gets there first. If it's China, then it's "Buried alive in a mass grave". If it's Russia, then it's "Buried in some deep, dark gulag in the middle of Siberia"

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And yes, I get it. They're not using the correct markups. But I don't look at a child's drawing and say, "That sun is going to incinerate everyone on the planet!"
I think it’s just a puzzle that everyone looked at for 2 seconds (that’s me) and came up with the easy answer without realising that there was blockage’s.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
How is 6 getting the fluid? I could only see it getting it from overflow from 1 and/or 3 which would both need to be full for that to happen.
Flow rate.

Lets not debate whether the outlet at 6 is actually open because the uneducated that do not understand engineering say so. The greater the height difference between outlets in an inlets increases thew flow rate - differential head in my game (although when I was night clubbing always though that meant something else)....

Three will receive flow from 1 sooner than 2. Five will get flow sooner than 6. But 6 has a larger head difference than 5. I'm backing head (as I always will).

TBF - if you made this as a full blown engineering question - its actually a very good one. Reckon it would get late undergrad engineers moist.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
However we should assume that it's not an engineer that created this image. We have to go with the fact that some connecting stems are blocked, cups which are open in more then one spot will empty through the bottom open stem. So cup 2 isn't seeing beer unless it can be poured faster than the lower drain point empties. The two stems connected to cup 3 won't drain the cup. So the only cup that will fill is 3.

Any further arguments to the contrary I will assume are trying to get an argument started.
We could say that it's operating in a 2-Dimensional Universe, in which case the fluid is probably not going to flow at all as fluid dynamics breaches the laws of 2-Dimensional physics.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Flow rate.

Lets not debate whether the outlet at 6 is actually open because the uneducated that do not understand engineering say so. The greater the height difference between outlets in an inlets increases thew flow rate - differential head in my game (although when I was night clubbing always though that meant something else)....

Three will receive flow from 1 sooner than 2. Five will get flow sooner than 6. But 6 has a larger head difference than 5. I'm backing head (as I always will).

TBF - if you made this as a full blown engineering question - its actually a very good one. Reckon it would get late undergrad engineers moist.
I would assume that due to the fact that it's not quite lined up under, it wouldn't get much of the load due to turbulence. But if you removed turbulence, then it would probably miss and fall down the sides. Assuming the pipes aren't infinitely wide. But if they're infinitely wide then 6 wouldn't get anything until 3 is full. In which case, it would be 4.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
We could say that it's operating in a 2-Dimensional Universe, in which case the fluid is probably not going to flow at all as fluid dynamics breaches the laws of 2-Dimensional physics.
Demonstrated by the fact that despite the beer being upside down, no beer is flowing.

Now one could argue that the flow (term used loosely for movement) is operating in a separate 2D plane. And if that plane is rotated at 90d - then we lose visibility of that which considering Schroedingers is feasible that might justify the question.

Which then means its without proof.

Few more cones and this dribble will stop I expect.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I would assume that due to the fact that it's not quite lined up under, it wouldn't get much of the load due to turbulence. But if you removed turbulence, then it would probably miss and fall down the sides. Assuming the pipes aren't infinitely wide. But if they're infinitely wide then 6 wouldn't get anything until 3 is full. In which case, it would be 4.
Assuming the dump down is a reasonably laminar flow, to get the appropriate Reynolds level to generate turbulence I doubt it. You're starting to make cavitation arguments which would require a massive loss of density in the producing solution. Feasible, yes. likely no given the data.

Provided the flow diameters from the beer bottle and outlets are roughly to scale, the most likely phenomena is for vertical seiche to generate a centroid plunge point with an enhancement of the setup point for extraction. Now if the flow rate from the source declined below a certain point cavitation becomes more likely - which points at most stable extraction point being lower in the water column #3.

But its really all dependent on orifice size and source flow rate. Bit like most things in life really...

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Go hire an Indian plumber and let me know how it goes...
Going great, he plays cricket as well. Lol

Prashant Rana has made it to the 20 probables for the senior Odisha Ranji team as a right-arm fast medium bowler. He worked as a plumber for nine years to become a cricketer.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Assuming the dump down is a reasonably laminar flow, to get the appropriate Reynolds level to generate turbulence I doubt it. You're starting to make cavitation arguments which would require a massive loss of density in the producing solution. Feasible, yes. likely no given the data.

Provided the flow diameters from the beer bottle and outlets are roughly to scale, the most likely phenomena is for vertical seiche to generate a centroid plunge point with an enhancement of the setup point for extraction. Now if the flow rate from the source declined below a certain point cavitation becomes more likely - which points at most stable extraction point being lower in the water column #3.

But its really all dependent on orifice size and source flow rate. Bit like most things in life really...
So what you're basically saying is that the bottle shot out one load 2 seconds in and glass 1 said, "Is that it?". Then the bottle rolled over and fell asleep.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So what you're basically saying is that the bottle shot out one load 2 seconds in and glass 1 said, "Is that it?". Then the bottle rolled over and fell asleep.
Good science is based on personal observation. What can I say?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Probably heard this one before...

2 fathers and 2 sons went fishing on a 3 seater boat and they all had a seat.

How is this possible?