Not open for further replies.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ben Roberts seals new deal with master-class

By Josh Massoud at Suncorp Stadium | June 12, 2009 09:26pm
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

Bulldogs

THE Bulldogs put on a clinic against the Broncos, running in eight tries against a Brisbane team clearly off the pace due to their swine flu disrupted preparation. / The Daily Telegraph
BULLDOGS 44 BRONCOS 22

IT WAS just as well the Bulldogs got their man this week - because had Ben Roberts not finalised a contract extension before last night's master-class, there might not have been enough money at Belmore to match his new asking price.

Fresh from agreeing to stay a Bulldog for a further two years, Roberts celebrated by going to another level with a career-best performance. Swine flu fears might have put the match in doubt, but they didn't stop the Kiwi five-eighth going full bore as he laid on six of his side's eight tries in a fast-finishing 44-22 win over a virus-hit Broncos.

Fittingly, Roberts triggered the blue-and-white avalanche with a talismanic try on 63 minutes that broke a 22-22 deadlock. After setting up the visitors' previous four tries with a mix of judicious grubbers and audacious cut-out passes, he jinked through three defenders to cap a remarkble individual performance.

Once labelled an NRL bad guy following a string of alcohol-fuelled indiscretions, Roberts suddenly found himself holding a man-of-the-match cheque for the first time in 59 NRL appearances. He later put it down to being a good guy - one who no longer drinks and this week copped a $50,000-a-season pay cut to repay the Bulldogs' faith.
Related Links

"I'm really keen to stay - the new players like Michael Ennis and Brett Kimmorley have had a big influence on my game," said Roberts, who is understood to have rejected $250,000-a-year approaches from Parramatta and Cronulla to stay loyal. "They've taken the pressure off me and allowed me to do what comes naturally and that's my running game."

With a protein shake sitting alongside him, Roberts revealed he was still on the wagon. "I stopped drinking and I can see the results," he said.

"There's been results both on the field and off it and the Bulldogs have helped me to avoid any temptations.

"I'm not going to say I'll never drink again, but it's working now so why change?"

wo selective Roberts passes shot the Bulldogs out to an early 10-0 lead, with centre Josh Morris the happy beneficiary of both.

But just as it appeared Brisbane would succumb to a trying preparation, which saw them only train yesterday after attending the funeral of revered talent scout Cyril Connell, the Bulldogs let themselves down with some poor goal-line defence.

With swine victim Karmichael Hunt inspirational, the never-say-die Broncos crossed three times before the break to lead 18-16 at halftime.

The lapse infuriated Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore, who later said: "I thought they were soft tries and I let them know it."

It was none other than Roberts who put the Bulldogs back in front - grubbering for Bryson Goodwin's first try four minutes after oranges.

The unheralded winger eventually notched a double, taking him from Cronulla reserve grade to NRL top tryscorer in less than a season.

On the opposite flank, Hazem El Masri also crossed twice and added six goals for a 20-point haul that built as the scoreboard blew out.

Reflecting on 92 conceded points in seven days, Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer refused to use the swine flu as an excuse. "It was a once-in-a-lifetime week, really," Lockyer said. "We tried the whole game but we couldn't keep fighting in the end."

Kingi

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
sweet i would have prefer he stay 3 but still good

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good news imo, Pretty shocked that his taken a 50k pay cut per season, Good bloke.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Good news imo, Pretty shocked that his taken a 50k pay cut per season, Good bloke.

Basically remained on the same wage he's already on but because other teams offered him more it's a "paycut"

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Shows what a mature guy Ben is turning out to be that he realised the Bulldogs stuck by him through the **** he put them through and needed to repay that faith by staying with the club. I am so happy to see the guy turn his life around and start to reach the potential he has always shown. Let's hope he keeps getting better because at this rate he will be unstoppable by seasons end.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
great news...hope he can see his career out with us...roberts seems to have turned the corner and its working wonders for him

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
massive Thumbs up for Benny, The total change in his attitude is paying off for him and the team, maybe Barba could take a lesson from Ben.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
great news, what a game tonight outstanding and this is the talent we all no he had and he has finally produced it for us.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good stuff... He has finally buried any memories of his game VS Souths in 08 :p

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was absolutely amazing.

He made Lockyer look like a joke. Outclassing the best 5/8 in the world..Don't be surprised if Roberts starts stringing unbelievable performances together much like Thurston is doing ATM.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess that means he wasnt playing well cause he was playing for a contract

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
BEN ROBERTS, take a bow....what a game.

Again next week pls

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Great stuff! Easily the most improved player in the comp. His display last night was amazing!

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am absolutely dumfounded if he doesnt get a RLW 10/10 for his game this week. I can't remember a better game from a half in a long, long time.

M

mofo sixx

knock back big money offers to stay loyal to the dogs

gotta love that

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
"I'm really keen to stay - the new players like Michael Ennis and Brett Kimmorley have had a big influence on my game," said Roberts, who is understood to have rejected $250,000-a-year approaches from Parramatta and Cronulla to stay loyal. "They've taken the pressure off me and allowed me to do what comes naturally and that's my running game."

awesome!!!! :love:

M

mofo sixx

awesome!!!! :love:
yea its good to see loyalty still exists:

a shifty 1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's really turned things around, fantastic to see. He does seem to have matured a lot. The try he scored when he broke through Lockyer was awesome. Still has plenty of improvement though and let's hope he stays on track.

There's hope for Barba yet, lets hope he follows Roberts lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.