Be honest: Manly lost this game more than we won it

Status
Not open for further replies.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The defense of their centers today was fucking atrocious and that is our main attacking opportunity with Brenko, Jackons or JMoz getting an overlap and putting a winger in for a try. It's no fluke they lead the NRL in missed tackles. For once we got some good calls and lucky bounces too, but you tend to get these when you're already on top and not when your behind.

I'm almost to the stage I am almost pissed off we actually won just because I feel it will keep the cancer to our club that is Des Hasler in a job through sheer dumb luck!

And if you say no, why donn't Lichha and Mybe take on the line with the confidence they did today, especially in the second half of the game? They did it today because they knew they had their opposition on a skewer! Simple as that. Every other week that's not the case. Manly lost this game more than we won it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Manly were garbage but we deserved the victory. Lichaa and Mbye actually played like a hooker and halfback and it was probably the best kicking game I have seen from Moses. I doubt we would have beaten any other top 8 team today but after the last few weeks it was just nice to get a win.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm going to enjoy this win,
I thought we showed bit better attitude today,

I think manly underestimated us and we were good enough to make them pay,

I'm happy,
I really didn't think they could make me happy again this year,

But they did,

Well done guys,

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just enjoy it will you! We played twice as fast as we have all season. We played direct. We didn't just hit it up tackle after tackle and created the space with cutouts and fast chain passing. Our defence was rock solid and it showed when we create space for our outside men they can score just as good as any team in the comp. It won't change our year even if we win the last two the same way, but it does show we have the cattle to do the job. They just have to play footy instead of working to different quadrants. If I remember correctly the Beagles didn't make an error in the first half so you can hardly say they were rubbish. Even at the end their completions were over 80% and that was even with them throwing caution to the wind in the last 20 otherwise it would have been over 90%. Give us the credit. We deserved it today, for a change and save the vitriol for the next time.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly were garbage but we deserved the victory. Lichaa and Mbye actually played like a hooker and halfback and it was probably the best kicking game I have seen from Moses.
But don't you notice that the only time this ever happens is if we get on top early? And the kicking game from Mybe wasn't really good at all. So many kicks taken on the full with no pressure on them (we must lead the league in this stat!). I look at the way we play more than the score

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But don't you notice that the only time this ever happens is if we get on top early? And the kicking game from Mybe wasn't really good at all. So many kicks taken on the full with no pressure on them (we must lead the league in this stat!). I look at the way we play more than the score
So it's a bad thing that we get on top early?? Agree to disagree on the kicking game he found grass plenty of times and almost kicked a 40/20 I haven't ever seen him even attempt one let alone almost pull it off. Is the way we play today going to win a comp or even make the 8? No it's not but it's a improvement on recent weeks.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it's a bad thing that we get on top early?? Agree to disagree on the kicking game he found grass plenty of times and almost kicked a 40/20 I haven't ever seen him even attempt one let alone almost pull it off.
I'm just saying we "got on top early" through the terrible play of our opponents more than our play. Mmmm "found grass plenty"? Just about every single kick Mybe put in found a fullback or winger on the full. Terrible. Wow he almost once kicked a 40/20! There is being a loyal supporter and having a pull over one or two good things every 4 or 5 games.

Yeah it's an improvement, but what I am saying is it's more because we got on top early through the poor play of our opponents more than we've turned around our style of play.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It was a mix. Manly were terrible, we were terrible. But our tries weren't sheer luck. We scored off the back of good play and later in the game as we became more confident we also became a better team. We started defending better, attacking better, and we won off the back of all that. But if Manly weren't crap then we wouldn't have ever reached that level of confidence and we definitely wouldn't have won.

Reactions: DT

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm just saying we "got on top early" through the terrible play of our opponents more than our play. Mmmm "found grass plenty"? Just about every single kick Mybe put in found a fullback or winger on the full. Terrible. Wow he almost once kicked a 40/20! There is being a loyal supporter and having a pull over one or two good things every 4 or 5 games.

Yeah it's an improvement, but what I am saying is it's more because we got on top early through the poor play of our opponents more than we've turned around our style of play.
They had a greater share of possession in the first half and committed no errors and you believe it was due to their poor play we were in front rather than our blokes playing at speed and taking them on? Seems to me you are just looking for reasons to drop one on our blokes rather than just enjoy how they played. It was good quality footy by our blokes today. Really annoying that they haven't done it all season but it was still good quality today. Enjoy!

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They had a greater share of possession in the first half and committed no errors and you believe it was due to their poor play we were in front rather than our blokes playing at speed and taking them on? Seems to me you are just looking for reasons to drop one on our blokes rather than just enjoy how they played. It was good quality footy by our blokes today. Really annoying that they haven't done it all season but it was still good quality today. Enjoy!
I guess what really pisses me off about our team is how it takes a massive failure on behalf of our opposition before we puff our chest out and play with some pride and actually win a game!

Seriously what I am saying is the only way we are capable of putting ANY points on the board is through either Jmoz, Brenko or Jackson creating an overlap and putting BMoz or Montoya in and most teams are WELL AWARE of that but Manly are particularly weak to that. They lead the league in missed tackles (mainly in the mid). We did well to exploit it I guess. But what pisses me off a bit is how Mybe and Lichaa puff their chest out and take on the line once we are in front but once be are behind they go missing so badly.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess what really pisses me off about our team is how it takes a massive failure on behalf of our opposition before we puff our chest out and play with some pride and actually win a game!

Seriously what I am saying is the only way we are capable of putting ANY points on the board is through either Jmoz, Brenko or Jackson creating an overlap and putting BMoz or Montoya in and most teams are WELL AWARE of that but Manly are particularly weak to that. They lead the league in missed tackles (mainly in the mid). We did well to exploit it I guess. But what pisses me off a bit is how Mybe and Lichaa puff their chest out and take on the line once we are in front but once be are behind they go missing so badly.
I get the bit about being pissed off that we don't do it week in and week out, but fair dinkum, every team knows how every other team plays - it's no great secret, they spend hours reviewing each game. The trick is to put the plays on that will get you the advantage you are looking for to create the opportunity to score and for the first time almost this entire year today we did it. It was how we created the holes/overlaps that was important. We did it with speed, good passing and playing straight, none of which we have done all year and certainly not in the one game. Jesus, everyone knows what Smith, Cronk, Slater, Trebojevic, Rapana and all the other gamebreakers are going to do every game. it's how you stop them that counts and today we stopped them and they couldn't stop us.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We only scored due to Manlys poor errors in defense, nothing else. Those cut out passes by Hoppa were fuckin shit and easy to contain but manlys left edge were woeful. If Manly didnt let in those tries then no way we would have been ahead by that much. We had nothing else to offer in attack.. Zilch zero

But our defense won us that game, and our forwards got on top of them. DCE had a shocker today as well. Against any other opposition, no way in the world would the scoreline been that much the way we played today. Its the simple truth. I didnt even enjoy the win. Im just looking forward to season ending asap, so we can iron out issues with coach etc and start from scratch next year.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we played like a nrl first grade team should play like by not running sideways having no proper kicks ect... we offloaded the ball so much, we ran hard and finished our sets well. I'm happy that this will build our confidence these last few games.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the bit about being pissed off that we don't do it week in and week out, but fair dinkum, every team knows how every other team plays - it's no great secret, they spend hours reviewing each game. The trick is to put the plays on that will get you the advantage you are looking for to create the opportunity to score and for the first time almost this entire year today we did it. It was how we created the holes/overlaps that was important. We did it with speed, good passing and playing straight, none of which we have done all year and certainly not in the one game. Jesus, everyone knows what Smith, Cronk, Slater, Trebojevic, Rapana and all the other gamebreakers are going to do every game. it's how you stop them that counts and today we stopped them and they couldn't stop us.
You are spot on mate. But it's game plan we rely on and one that doesn't work much any more. It pretty much and only works on deficiencies in an opponents defense. Hardley a finals team in the modern game no?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That left edge of;
Green, winterstein, kelly and wright has to be up there as the worst defensive edge in the history of the NRL.

Second Montoya try it was 3 on 3 and wright comes in on lee for no reason, he didn't even have the ball!!!
Hoppa had it lol

Reactions: jof

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Have a serapax and go to bed. The rest of us will give credit where its due and enjoy a rare win. A good win by the boys and some nice tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.