ANZ Stadium Upgrade - our home games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Yeah. That was the site of the famous pitch invasio0n after our final home game against the Broncos. Bloody long drop to the field though.
Oh forget that game now lol, Spotless stadium or whatever it's called is horrid.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh forget that game now lol, Spotless stadium or whatever it's called is horrid.
It was a pretty crappy ground (well, it was built as a showring for the show, not an NRL stadium.

Looks a lot better now though with the Giants and Sydney Thunder using it.

I was reading an article about last night's Para game, and it mentions it was the final game at the "old" Parra stadium. Will they be joining us at homebush?

Action Jackson

C.B.B 1935
Reaction score
LOL true!

The only reason you found parking no problem is because there was only 10 people there, I recon it looked like 7000 TBH
Not really.. first three games we played - no major issues parking either. I'd take 10k at Belmore over 10k at a Soulless ANZ Stadium anyday, anytime.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Not really.. first three games we played - no major issues parking either. I'd take 10k at Belmore over 10k at a Soulless ANZ Stadium anyday, anytime.
Same here.

I don't know why people think Belmore is cursed. Sure we lost both games there this year, but they were against the red-hot Raiders, and the defending Premiers. It's not like we lost to a team of nuffies. On top of that, we've been inconsistent all year!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We will never use Belmore full time and it all comes down to money we get a $100000 from ANZ for every match we play there regardless of the crowd and I'm pretty sure I heard that clown Castle say we make a loss of money at Belmore no matter what size the crowd is.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was a pretty crappy ground (well, it was built as a showring for the show, not an NRL stadium.

I was reading an article about last night's Para game, and it mentions it was the final game at the "old" Parra stadium. Will they be joining us at homebush?

That's their second old Parramatta stadium, lol. The first one the fans helped demolish. Found this;

http://www.scout.com/stadium-journey/story/1699746-final-nrl-game-at-parramatta-stadium?s=460

Currently known as Pirtek Stadium, the 21,000 seater was built to replace the aging Cumberland Oval, which suffered fire damage from Eels fans during celebrations following the club’s first premiership win in 1981. A number of renovations have taken place over the years, although there has been little improvement in the facilities.

In 2012, the formation of the Western Sydney Wanderers saw A-League soccer return to Parramatta, after the Parramatta Power folded following the demise of the old National Soccer League. The passionate fan base of the Wanderers is credited with further raising the profile of the stadium and Parramatta as a city.

The ground has also hosted international rugby union and rugby league. The Greater Sydney Rams of the National Rugby Championship (NRC) have been based at Pirtek for the first two seasons of that competition. The Sydney Blues, precursor to the Sydney Blue Sox of the current Australian Baseball League, also played their home games at Parramatta.

The new stadium is expected to have a capacity of 30,000 and will cost in the order of $300 million. The build will also improve ingress/egress and movement around the stadium, in addition to improved catering, corporate and player facilities. Current timelines have the new stadium open in time for the 2019 NRL season. In the meantime, the Wanderers will play out of nearby Spotless Stadium and ANZ Stadium, with the Eels expected to follow suit and also play the majority of their home games at ANZ.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That's their second old Parramatta stadium, lol. The first one the fans helped demolish. Found this;

http://www.scout.com/stadium-journey/story/1699746-final-nrl-game-at-parramatta-stadium?s=460

Currently known as Pirtek Stadium, the 21,000 seater was built to replace the aging Cumberland Oval, which suffered fire damage from Eels fans during celebrations following the club’s first premiership win in 1981. A number of renovations have taken place over the years, although there has been little improvement in the facilities.

In 2012, the formation of the Western Sydney Wanderers saw A-League soccer return to Parramatta, after the Parramatta Power folded following the demise of the old National Soccer League. The passionate fan base of the Wanderers is credited with further raising the profile of the stadium and Parramatta as a city.

The ground has also hosted international rugby union and rugby league. The Greater Sydney Rams of the National Rugby Championship (NRC) have been based at Pirtek for the first two seasons of that competition. The Sydney Blues, precursor to the Sydney Blue Sox of the current Australian Baseball League, also played their home games at Parramatta.

The new stadium is expected to have a capacity of 30,000 and will cost in the order of $300 million. The build will also improve ingress/egress and movement around the stadium, in addition to improved catering, corporate and player facilities. Current timelines have the new stadium open in time for the 2019 NRL season. In the meantime, the Wanderers will play out of nearby Spotless Stadium and ANZ Stadium, with the Eels expected to follow suit and also play the majority of their home games at ANZ.
That's why I put "old" in inverted commas - I wasn't sure what to call Cumberland (the "old old" Parra stadium?)

It's such a shame in a way that Oasis project was never built.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the stadium will be out of action for a couple of seasons - 2019 & 2020?

More games at Belmore will probably be an option, but it still doesn't have the capacity for our bigger games, and I think the novelty will keep wearing off if too many games are played there.

My reading of the articles about the stadium upgrades a few months ago says that the new and improved Parra stadium will finish before ANZ starts, so that will probably get some use.

I would also expect maybe one or two more games outside Sydney. Not a bad time to do it IMO.

Souffs will also be in the same boat. I think Tiggers and Drags will move their big games to Allianz/SCG (depending on their upgrade timetables as well).

Overall, its going to be a couple years pain for hopefully a longer term gain (if they get the upgrade right). I think the light rail from Strathfield looks good (pity i'm no longer in Croydon!).

Here is more info:

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/the-stadium/anz-stadium-redevelopment/
The novelty of Belmore was gone after the Raiders loss... We haven't been able to bottle up the energy in that Storm game. We were out enthused against the Sharks and Raiders and the Cowboys were simply too classy

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The novelty of Belmore was gone after the Raiders loss... We haven't been able to bottle up the energy in that Storm game. We were out enthused against the Sharks and Raiders and the Cowboys were simply too classy
I remember games at Belmore differently but that was when our sides embraced the spiritual home ground ethic. No matter how bad a season we were having we would always find a way to lift at Belmore, not saying we were invincible there because we copped some hidings but it was just different.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember games at Belmore differently but that was when our sides embraced the spiritual home ground ethic. No matter how bad a season we were having we would always find a way to lift at Belmore, not saying we were invincible there because we copped some hidings but it was just different.
It was different. When I first moved to Sydney in 96, one of the first thing I did was see a game at Belmore. I was so excited to go to the ground that I grew up watching on TV, and I got to the see the great Terry Lamb in the twilight of his career (the other highlight that matched it was seeing my first game of cricket at the SCG).

But as I said in anther thread, its not the 80s/90s anymore. For better or for worse.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was different. When I first moved to Sydney in 96, one of the first thing I did was see a game at Belmore. I was so excited to go to the ground that I grew up watching on TV, and I got to the see the great Terry Lamb in the twilight of his career (the other highlight that matched it was seeing my first game of cricket at the SCG).

But as I said in anther thread, its not the 80s/90s anymore. For better or for worse.
Yeah, I know what you mean but sometimes it is nice to think about the old days. So many excellent memories even in trying times. One of the best memories was a Friday game against Newtown. Sitting on the old hill in the pouring rain with your mates even seeing the game was a problem at times, but we won so you tended to forget about the fact you were drenched. Walk back to Belmore train station to wait for the classy red rattler to take you home.

Caught the train to Punchbowl and stopped off at one of those late night kebab places for beef kebab with all the trimmings. Ah, those were the days.

Malla

Reaction score
Expecting a few games up at Gosford maybe. Who knows. I don't care where we play - so long as we win games.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok regarding Stadiums, is there any chance of us moving to a smaller stadium in the future, teams with there own stadium generally have a better home record because of the atmosphere there are able to generate, I simply hate looking around at an empty stadium even though I know that there is around 30,000 people at the game. It just makes the experience of game day better when a stadium is packed.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was built as a baseball stadium for the Olympics. As I'm sure many of you know, baseball fields are asymmetrical. That was the problem.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lol. NSW or New Zealand?
That's haslers plan, try to get some wins via forfeits due to opposition fans not knowing where the fuck they are playing.

Tolman would still get tackled on the 5th against the forfeit

Kawasaki

New Pup
Reaction score
Can someone post up architectural drawings/photos of the proposed revamp of ANZ Stadium as well as the new Parramatta stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.