ANZ Stadium Upgrade - our home games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hi guys,

When ANZ has stadium upgrades, will this impact on our home games? They said it will impact on the 2019 NRL Grand Final, meaning the grand final will have to move to most likely Brisbane, so what will that mean for our home games? Will we need to move elsewhere for that period?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They haven't said anything official but i believe we will still play there while the stadium is under construction.

Action Jackson

C.B.B 1935
Reaction score
Even though we currently have a bad record there I would rather play all our games at Belmore. Amazing ground and atmosphere.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Castle said we will be forfeiting all home games and instead donating our time to knit socks for refugees....

Castle said "While winning games is nice, its no longer our priority...we will instead be doing good deeds and helping the less fortunate new Australian's and also marching for women's rights instead"

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi guys,

When ANZ has stadium upgrades, will this impact on our home games? They said it will impact on the 2019 NRL Grand Final, meaning the grand final will have to move to most likely Brisbane, so what will that mean for our home games? Will we need to move elsewhere for that period?
I think the stadium will be out of action for a couple of seasons - 2019 & 2020?

More games at Belmore will probably be an option, but it still doesn't have the capacity for our bigger games, and I think the novelty will keep wearing off if too many games are played there.

My reading of the articles about the stadium upgrades a few months ago says that the new and improved Parra stadium will finish before ANZ starts, so that will probably get some use.

I would also expect maybe one or two more games outside Sydney. Not a bad time to do it IMO.

Souffs will also be in the same boat. I think Tiggers and Drags will move their big games to Allianz/SCG (depending on their upgrade timetables as well).

Overall, its going to be a couple years pain for hopefully a longer term gain (if they get the upgrade right). I think the light rail from Strathfield looks good (pity i'm no longer in Croydon!).

Here is more info:

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/the-stadium/anz-stadium-redevelopment/

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They haven't said anything official but i believe we will still play there while the stadium is under construction.
I guess renos have a smaller impact on the Club games as they can close of half of the stadium etc.

I was under the impression that they stadium would close completely (but never read anything official), so you're probably right!

As I no longer live in Sydney I have no skin in the game (unless they bring a game up to SE QLD), but whatever happens, there will be whingers.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I guess renos have a smaller impact on the Club games as they can close of half of the stadium etc.

I was under the impression that they stadium would close completely (but never read anything official), so you're probably right!

As I no longer live in Sydney I have no skin in the game (unless they bring a game up to SE QLD), but whatever happens, there will be whingers.
They kept the SCG open while they renovated it. Having said that, they botched it badly.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They kept the SCG open while they renovated it. Having said that, they botched it badly.
I remember going to both a swans game and a cricket match during that time, with whole grandstands closed off. It looked a bit weird, but for oval sports, there aren't really any large stadia alternatives.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeh that was the thinking. To do anz stadium section by section so to keep it going (it will probably take twice as long compared to a complete close down and rebuild).

For club games it shouldn't be a massive issue (it will impact on membership more then anything). But we rarely get 40k to a game (maybe once a year). All other games are 20-25k so you can put them around the construction. It won't be ideal as its already a shit atmosphere without big gaps in the bowl from construction.

Relocating 4-6 games to bsg and the rest to other stadiums can work too. It's not like our home record this year is any good anyways so might help us.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Even though we currently have a bad record there I would rather play all our games at Belmore. Amazing ground and atmosphere.
Shit spiritual ground, 1970's Stadium, shit parking, poor comfort..... use the Parramatta Stadium, that will bring back the good old days FFS when the Eels used Belmore for a couple of years..... the big difference is......comfort, atmosphere and pretty much central where all the Dogs supporters come from and let me tall you this Parramatta team in 2017 will be no pushover next year either, we couldn't beat them this year even with all the internal issues they had in 2016.
The Stadium would be full every time we play the Eels guaranteed!! Belmore Sports Ground is a wank!!

Action Jackson

C.B.B 1935
Reaction score
Shit spiritual ground, 1970's Stadium, shit parking, poor comfort..... use the Parramatta Stadium, that will bring back the good old days FFS when the Eels used Belmore for a couple of years..... the big difference is......comfort, atmosphere and pretty much central where all the Dogs supporters come from and let me tall you this Parramatta team in 2017 will be no pushover next year either, we couldn't beat them this year even with all the internal issues they had in 2016.
The Stadium would be full every time we play the Eels guaranteed!! Belmore Sports Ground is a wank!!
Why the hell would we share a stadium with Parramatta ? That's absolutely ridiculous, it's bad enough we share ANZ stadium currently with 4 other teams. Also, I actually found Parking quicker at belmore than I normally would than at ANZ. heaps of streets to park in with less than a 5 minute walk. Pretty much central to where all the dogs fans come from? Yeah I do understand we have a fair few supporters in western Sydney (and we have shared grounds with them before) but we are Canterbury- Bankstown, not parramatta, hence we are based at belmore and should remain there. I would much rather stand on the hill at belmore and call it our own home ground than have to share a stadium with parramatta.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This article seems to point in that direction.
http://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=579

The NSW stadium plan is finally set with ANZ Stadium set to undergo a major $700 million redevelopment while Allianz Stadium will get an upgrade.

The Homebush venue, home of the Sydney Olympics, has often been unpopular with fans, but that is set to change with the redevelopment. At the centre of the works is converting it into a permanent 75,000-seat rectangular stadium (down from the current 83,500 capacity).

With AFL and cricket exiting the venue, there is no longer a need to facilitate oval sports, and rather than attempting to satisfy both, the new-look venue will offer the best experience for rectangular sports.

NSW Premier Mike Baird and Sports Minister Stuart Ayres announced on Thursday 14 April that the NSW Government’s allocated $1.6 billion investment in Sydney sporting infrastructure will go toward the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium ($700m), upgrade of Allianz Stadium ($450m) and a new stadium at Parramatta ($350m).

Premier Baird said the transformation of ANZ Stadium “will be fast-tracked” and would begin “in the current term of Government”. (Construction engineers have confirmed work could begin as soon as after the 2017 NRL Grand Final or in 2018).

The redevelopment will feature a completely new seating bowl built within the existing stadium, bringing seats on all six levels up to 48 metres closer to the action, while the steepness of the seating will be increased, on par with Suncorp Stadium. Retractable seating at either end will bring fans closer when required for sports such as soccer.

Another major aspect of the redevelopment is a brand new retractable roof, keeping fans and players dry no matter what Sydney’s weather delivers.

The stadium is expected to remain fully operational as the new rectangular seating bowl is built progressively within the existing stadium, before Sydney unveils its new 70,000 to 75,000-seat stadium with a retractable roof to the world in 2022.

Mr Kerry said: “Sydney’s Olympic stadium has served Sydney well in the 17 years it has been in operation since it was purpose-built for the 2000 Sydney Games, with more than 23 million fans having passed through the turnstiles to witness many of Australia’s most iconic sporting moments.

“The NSW Government announcement guarantees an exciting future for Sydney’s Olympic stadium.

“But, most of all, this project is for the fans who will get to enjoy many of Australia’s greatest sporting events in a Stadium that will once again become the iconic venue it was built to be.”

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I remember going to both a swans game and a cricket match during that time, with whole grandstands closed off. It looked a bit weird, but for oval sports, there aren't really any large stadia alternatives.
Yea, the problem was, it took so long to complete, you can see where one stage ends and another begins, the materials are different, the stands aren't the same height and the rows of seats don't line up.
It's terrible. Looks like 5 different builders did it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The reconstruction of ANZ is being done in such a way that only certain parts of the stadium will be closed, so it will operate at reduced seating capacity, and the crowd will shift around depending on the sectino being worked upon.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I hope it's not belmore, we will never win there

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the stadium will be out of action for a couple of seasons - 2019 & 2020?

More games at Belmore will probably be an option, but it still doesn't have the capacity for our bigger games, and I think the novelty will keep wearing off if too many games are played there.

My reading of the articles about the stadium upgrades a few months ago says that the new and improved Parra stadium will finish before ANZ starts, so that will probably get some use.

I would also expect maybe one or two more games outside Sydney. Not a bad time to do it IMO.

Souffs will also be in the same boat. I think Tiggers and Drags will move their big games to Allianz/SCG (depending on their upgrade timetables as well).

Overall, its going to be a couple years pain for hopefully a longer term gain (if they get the upgrade right). I think the light rail from Strathfield looks good (pity i'm no longer in Croydon!).

Here is more info:

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/the-stadium/anz-stadium-redevelopment/
There is a second stadium at Olympic Park; we used it for our first few seasons there.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should put more seats in bring the capacity to 250k i like my space

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There is a second stadium at Olympic Park; we used it for our first few seasons there.
Yeah. That was the site of the famous pitch invasio0n after our final home game against the Broncos. Bloody long drop to the field though.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope it's not belmore, we will never win there
LOL true!
Why the hell would we share a stadium with Parramatta ? That's absolutely ridiculous, it's bad enough we share ANZ stadium currently with 4 other teams. Also, I actually found Parking quicker at belmore than I normally would than at ANZ. heaps of streets to park in with less than a 5 minute walk. Pretty much central to where all the dogs fans come from? Yeah I do understand we have a fair few supporters in western Sydney (and we have shared grounds with them before) but we are Canterbury- Bankstown, not parramatta, hence we are based at belmore and should remain there. I would much rather stand on the hill at belmore and call it our own home ground than have to share a stadium with parramatta.
The only reason you found parking no problem is because there was only 10 people there, I recon it looked like 7000 TBH

Status
Not open for further replies.