Movie Discussion

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Batman vs Superman. Pretty boring. 3 hours filled with mainly CGI. Not my cup of tea. Might given the Wonder Woman movie a miss now - not really interested in seeing it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dunkirk out this week, haven't been this keen to go see a flick on the big screen for a long time
Currently rated 96/100 on Metacritic. Apparently one of the best war movies ever made.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Better than Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan?
There was an Asian war movie called my way dudes fighting for china japs hammer them ends up forced to fight with japs , ends up in a Soviet prison then ends up fighting for the Germans. He didn't want to fight at all he wanted to be an Olympic runner.
Or something along those lines its fucking awsome.
Another one was nrth korea and south fighting was a brilliant movie subtitles but fuck top quality forget the name.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hard to say. I guess it depends what you like in a war movie

Its not often you find a movie rating this good across the board everything i read is pointing towards its going to be one of those masterpieces you can watch for years to come

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There was an Asian war movie called my way dudes fighting for china japs hammer them ends up forced to fight with japs , ends up in a Soviet prison then ends up fighting for the Germans. He didn't want to fight at all he wanted to be an Olympic runner.
Or something along those lines its fucking awsome.
Another one was nrth korea and south fighting was a brilliant movie subtitles but fuck top quality forget the name.
Then there's the one about that epic War that happened in the Stars when the Rebels attacked the Empire.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Dunkirk looks the goods.

It is an epic story (as in what actually happened), and the reviews I have seen so far say Christopher Nolan has nailed it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Looking forward to this movie "Birth of the Dragon"

It looks good but it looks like it's very, very loosely based on the what actually happened when Wong Jack Man fought Bruce Lee

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It looks good but it looks like it's very, very loosely based on the what actually happened when Wong Jack Man fought Bruce Lee
Yeh but it's just a movie. One of my favourite movies was Shoot 'Em Up, had an absolutely atrocious plot but was just a space out, action movie.

Sometimes you just appreciate movies for what they are. The ones that try to take themselves seriously but are absolute shit are the ones to steer clear of

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeh but it's just a movie. One of my favourite movies was Shoot 'Em Up, had an absolutely atrocious plot but was just a space out, action movie.

Sometimes you just appreciate movies for what they are. The ones that try to take themselves seriously but are absolute shit are the ones to steer clear of
Shoot 'em Up was great. Ridiculously over the top and it got more insane as it went on, but entertaining.

My only concern is that they're selling it as a "Biopic" and saying "the true story", then showing a completely different story to what actually happened. Would be nice if they at least said "Based on the true story"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also, saw Dunkirk last night. Really good movie but I feel that many people won't like it. It's not much of a war movie. It kinda is but not a traditional war movie. There's very few actual battles in the movie. You almost never see the Germans other than their planes and there's no blood at all. There is a lot of death but I can't remember seeing blood once in the movie.

That said, it tells a very different side of the war. While there are a few heros, it's not about that. It's about a bunch of kids shitting themselves and doing anything they can to escape death. And it's about the sheer terror of being trapped on a beach with the enemy a stone's throw away, being constantly bombarded with no defence. There's very little character development, no back story, not much in the way of story telling.

What it does do well is realism. You watch things like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan and you feel they captured the gritty realism of war. Then you see this and you look back on those other movies and shows as over the top works of fiction. That's not taking anything away from Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan. They were heartfelt depictions of troops fighting toward a goal. This doesn't give you heartfelt. This gives you a bunch of shit scared people in an impossible situation.

The movie is done in 3 parts and it jumps back and forth between the parts. The first part being the soldiers on the beach trying to evacuate. Their story is done over a week period. Apparently it is, it actually felt like it was done over 2 days. The next is the Sea setting which is based around a civilian boat. That story takes place over 1 day period. Then there's the fighter pilots who's story takes place over 1 hour. Toward the end of the movie all their stories intersect and it is done very well.

As I said, if you're expecting a full on war movie then you'll probably be disappointed. If you want to see an intense portrayal of the psychological stress in the face of certain death, this is definitely the movie for you.

As a side note though, even though it's not much of a traditional war movie and there's not many battles, when shit does hit the fan the sound is amazing, and this movie has some of the best aerial battles you'll ever see.

The one thing I didn't like about the movie was the lack of character development. I understand the reasoning behind it. Nolan was aiming for a bunch of scared people. But without any back stories to the characters and no real character development you never feel any emotional attachment to any of the characters. I guess that still works in the scheme of things as it makes them feel like just another soldier, but it makes it odd that in each story they focus so intently on a couple of characters but make no effort to emotionally develop the characters.

I'd give it a 9.5/10

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, saw Dunkirk last night. Really good movie but I feel that many people won't like it. It's not much of a war movie. It kinda is but not a traditional war movie. There's very few actual battles in the movie. You almost never see the Germans other than their planes and there's no blood at all. There is a lot of death but I can't remember seeing blood once in the movie.

That said, it tells a very different side of the war. While there are a few heros, it's not about that. It's about a bunch of kids shitting themselves and doing anything they can to escape death. And it's about the sheer terror of being trapped on a beach with the enemy a stone's throw away, being constantly bombarded with no defence. There's very little character development, no back story, not much in the way of story telling.

What it does do well is realism. You watch things like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan and you feel they captured the gritty realism of war. Then you see this and you look back on those other movies and shows as over the top works of fiction. That's not taking anything away from Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan. They were heartfelt depictions of troops fighting toward a goal. This doesn't give you heartfelt. This gives you a bunch of shit scared people in an impossible situation.

The movie is done in 3 parts and it jumps back and forth between the parts. The first part being the soldiers on the beach trying to evacuate. Their story is done over a week period. Apparently it is, it actually felt like it was done over 2 days. The next is the Sea setting which is based around a civilian boat. That story takes place over 1 day period. Then there's the fighter pilots who's story takes place over 1 hour. Toward the end of the movie all their stories intersect and it is done very well.

As I said, if you're expecting a full on war movie then you'll probably be disappointed. If you want to see an intense portrayal of the psychological stress in the face of certain death, this is definitely the movie for you.

As a side note though, even though it's not much of a traditional war movie and there's not many battles, when shit does hit the fan the sound is amazing, and this movie has some of the best aerial battles you'll ever see.

The one thing I didn't like about the movie was the lack of character development. I understand the reasoning behind it. Nolan was aiming for a bunch of scared people. But without any back stories to the characters and no real character development you never feel any emotional attachment to any of the characters. I guess that still works in the scheme of things as it makes them feel like just another soldier, but it makes it odd that in each story they focus so intently on a couple of characters but make no effort to emotionally develop the characters.

I'd give it a 9.5/10
Will be going tonight

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Batman vs Superman. Pretty boring. 3 hours filled with mainly CGI. Not my cup of tea. Might given the Wonder Woman movie a miss now - not really interested in seeing it.
Wonder Woman is pretty good..if you like Christopher Reeve's take on Superman..ie wants to be a hero..you'd like her..plus she's beautiful!