Opinion Your rating on Gus' performance so far

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of 10. 10 being the best.

Mine would be 3-4 out of 10 and only this high because we're doing okay in the juniors. NRL recruitment has to be a huge part of his job, not just pathways.

Despite his 1 MIL a season (or close) salary I've been extremely let down by Gus' failure in recruitment over the last 2 years. Here's why. So many things he's failed at and in what he has achieved frankly I don't believe it was that difficult. Spending someone else's money is pretty easy actually - ask a politician.

Kikau - I'm pretty sure anyone (highest bidder) could have signed Kiks. Panthers had already decided to sacrifice him as a luxury to keep others higher in priority. We likely were the highest bidder at 800K and he didn't have to move interstate. He was already familiar with Trent Barrett (our coach at that time) Burton and maybe Naden at that time.

Ciraldo - he had a choice out of us or the Tigers or Dragons Wow ! We probably bid the most again. Gus maybe wanted help in attracting more Panthers players like Crichton.

Crichton - similar to Kikau the Panthers had already decided they were willing to sacrifice Crichton to keep others. We likely offered the most. He was familiar with our ex Panthers players and Ciraldo.

Taaffe & Salmon - their clubs were willing to sacrifice both to free up cap and it will be a similar story reportedly if we sign Kurt Mann

Shane Flanagan - FAIL in my eyes. Experienced in rebuilding a club and in winning a PREMIERSHIP as a first grade HEAD coach for f..ks sake. Our players would have respected him.
Todd Payten - Cowboys left it really late to re-sign him. We could have made him an offer he wouldn't refuse with the help of Uncle Arthur maybe. It's outside the cap remember. FAIL
Spencer Lenui - FAIL. Despite having Ciraldo, Kikau, Burton and Crichton Gus still couldn't secure us their buddy and a good prop we desperately needed at a fairly average price.
Mitchell Moses - FAIL. There were reports by at least two journos that we didn't even make an offer because the manager and Gus aren't on speaking terms and haven't been for years
Ben Hunt - FAIL. I could have almost given Gus a pass if he pulled off this signing (although I felt Hunt was a bit old)
Payne Haas - FAIL. I could have forgiven Gus if he pulled off this signing or if we got Tino
Paul Vaughan - letting him go was a FAIL
Letting the Dolphins beat us to sign about 4 established props, Sharks re-sign Royce Hunt, Eels re-sign Junior Paulo all a FAIL in my opinion.
Holbrook, Maguire, John Morris - why couldn't Gus hire an experienced first grade coach to assist Ciraldo ? FAIL
Re-signing Burton for 750-800K a season when he doesn't have a passing game and can't even place his kicks well - FAIL
2023 - brand new team that had never played together before finishes (in Dolphins) higher than us (started 1935 and Gus has been here 2 years) on the ladder - BIG F..KING FAIL
2024 A centre (Crichton) we're just "hoping" makes it at fullback. A centre (in Xerri) who needs to learn the game again after 4 years. A prop / lock (in SST) who left the NRL admitting his body is busted beyond the NRL and has hardly made it onto the field in 2023 for his Super League club. A below average 7 in Sexton with a lack of serious back up. A coach (in Ciraldo) who can't even tell the difference between a good player (Skelton) and a piece of shit (in Perham) and will likely play Perham again next year whenever he can. Gus talks about relying on our juniors but there's no great big body props coming through there either - BIG F..KING FAIL

If anyone seriously thinks Gus has earned even half his wage in the 2 years he's been with us please explain ?

I seriously wanted Gus to come back to us even before we were a chance because I thought he would achieve for us a comp winning spine and maybe even a decent prop or two but I've been left bitterly disappointed.

We could have done better I'm pretty sure with Peter O'Sullivan at less than half the cost.

Last edited:

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out if 10. 10 being the best.

Mine would be 3-4 out of 10 and only this high because we're doing okay in the juniors. NRL recruitment has to be a huge part of his job, not just pathways.

Despite his 1 MIL a season (or close) salary I've been extremely let down by Gus' failure in recruitment over the last 2 years. Here's why. So many things he's failed at and in what he has achieved frankly I don't believe it was that difficult. Spending someone else's money is pretty easy actually - ask a politician.

Kikau - I'm pretty sure anyone (highest bidder) could have signed Kiks. Panthers had already decided to sacrifice him as a luxury to keep others higher in priority. We likely were the highest bidder at 800K and he didn't have to move interstate. He was already familiar with Trent Barrett (our coach at that time) Burton and maybe Naden at that time.

Ciraldo - he had a choice out of us or the Tigers or Dragons Wow ! We probably bid the most again. Gus maybe wanted help in attracting more Panthers players like Crichton.

Crichton - similar to Kikau the Panthers had already decided they were willing to sacrifice Crichton to keep others. We likely offered the most. He was familiar with our ex Panthers players and Ciraldo.

Taaffe & Salmon - their clubs were willing to sacrifice both to free up cap and it will be a similar story reportedly if we sign Kurt Mann

Shane Flanagan - FAIL in my eyes. Experienced in rebuilding a club and in winning a PREMIERSHIP as a first grade HEAD coach for f..ks sake. Our players would have respected him.
Todd Payten - Cowboys left it really late to re-sign him. We could have made him an offer he wouldn't refuse with the help of Uncle Arthur maybe. It's outside the cap remember. FAIL
Spencer Lenui - FAIL. Despite having Ciraldo, Kikau, Burton and Crichton Gus still couldn't secure us their buddy and a good prop we desperately needed at a fairly average price.
Mitchell Moses - FAIL
Ben Hunt - FAIL. I could have almost given Gus a pass if he pulled off this signing (although I felt Hunt was a bit old)
Payne Haas - FAIL. I could have forgiven Gus if he pulled off this signing or if we got Tino
Paul Vaughan - letting him go was a FAIL
Letting the Dolphins beat us to sign about 4 established props, Sharks re-sign Royce Hunt, Eels re-sign Junior Paulo all a FAIL in my opinion.
Holbrook, Maguire, John Morris - why couldn't Gus hire an experienced first grade coach to assist Ciraldo ? FAIL
Re-signing Burton for 750-800K a season when he doesn't have a passing game and can't even place his kicks well - FAIL
2023 - brand new team that had never played together before finishes (in Dolphins) higher than us (started 1935 and Gus has been here 2 years) on the ladder - BIG F..KING FAIL
2024 A centre (Crichton) we're just "hoping" makes it at fullback. A centre (in Xerri) who needs to learn the game again after 4 years. A prop / lock (in SST) who left the NRL admitting his body is busted beyond the NRL and has hardly made it onto the field in 2023 for his Super League club. A below average 7 in Sexton with a lack of serious back up. A coach (in Ciraldo) who can't even tell the difference between a good player (Skelton) and a piece of shit (in Perham) and will likely play Perham again next year whenever he can. Gus talks about relying on our juniors but there's no great big body props coming through there either - BIG F..KING FAIL

If anyone seriously thinks Gus has earned even half his wage in the 2 years he's been with us please explain ?

I seriously wanted Gus to come back to us even before we were a chance because I thought he would achieve for us a comp winning spine and maybe even a decent prop or two but I've been left bitterly disappointed.

We could have done better I'm pretty sure with Peter O'Sullivan at less than half the cost.
Dragons were the highest bidders for Kikau.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dragons were the highest bidders for Kikau.
Do we know that for sure ? Even if so there wouldn't have been much in it you would think. Anthony Griffin could have been a turn off

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do we know that for sure ? Even if so there wouldn't have been much in it you would think. Anthony Griffin could have been a turn off
Pretty sure one reason ben hunt wasn't happy.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terrible. 0/10. His decision making has been beyond bad

0/10 also for using pathways as an excuse considering our Harold Matts won the premiership and Flegg are playing finals. Pathways cant have been in that bad shape

0/10 also for bagging teams like the broncos publicly whilst he is in charge of the most embarrassing performing team in the comp

He is a myth and has to go

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How would you rate a key position as a top Dog of a club where your first grade team goes backwards from the previous year despite having a much powerful roster compared to last year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1 or 2 probably, maybe being nice...

he's made a terrible decision and mistake with the coach, he's also added more duds to our roster when we were finally able to move all of the old ones on...

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d give me a 1/10. This has been the worst year of all the lousy ones the Bulldogs have experienced in the last 5 years. This is not a bottom 3 roster with easily the worst for and against of any side. It’s pathetic.
Look at the players he’s bought to the club next year. Buy a friggin halfback !
Xerri will be useless. Gus has bought all these stop gap players. I predicted months ago Gould would ruin this club and he will

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Terrible. 0/10. His decision making has been beyond bad

0/10 also for using pathways as an excuse considering our Harold Matts won the premiership and Flegg are playing finals. Pathways cant have been in that bad shape

0/10 also for bagging teams like the broncos publicly whilst he is in charge of the most embarrassing performing team in the comp

He is a myth and has to go
Thanks for your input Buzz…
#fishfucker