Your Halfback?

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We’d want to find a decent halfback soon. Burton is only guaranteed with us this year and next, after which he has a player option for the third year. If he’s the only playmaker and defences are rightly targeting him, our attack will be nothing. Why would he stick around if that’s the results we’re getting. All hypothetical and our attack might be good in a month or two, but after watching the trials, I’m not confident.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flannagan is scared of contact. If you have a look at his last few outings and even his last game where his one touch was a dropped ball, he looks scared of any contact from defenders. I don’t know if it’s a confidence issue, an injury he isn’t quite over or just a pea heart but the boy don’t like contact.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flannagan is scared of contact. If you have a look at his last few outings and even his last game where his one touch was a dropped ball, he looks scared of any contact from defenders. I don’t know if it’s a confidence issue, an injury he isn’t quite over or just a pea heart but the boy don’t like contact.
He doesn’t take the ball to the line. He passes the ball well before the defensive line. Thus giving the defence plenty of time to know exactly what they need to do. If he had a pair and was prepared to get belted, he would be our best option at 7. Unfortunately he doesn’t have the mental or physical strength so it pushes him to the bottom of our very ordinary list.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Or centre

Or play that Connor Watson role
Kurt Mann is playing that role at the Knights and it looks like it could work well, Walker at Manly also. This is something we could look at doing, better than fucking Jackson murdering all our attacks. TPJ, Vaughan, Patolo and King also have some real size to them so we could afford to carry a smaller lock if we really wanted to.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kurt Mann is playing that role at the Knights and it looks like it could work well, Walker at Manly also. This is something we could look at doing, better than fucking Jackson murdering all our attacks. TPJ, Vaughan, Patolo and King also have some real size to them so we could afford to carry a smaller lock if we really wanted to.
Yeah, we need to implement a similar player, fast feet against tired ruckies

Jackson is the new Tolman getting in the way with our good ball and adding fk all to the attack

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Even though BBO has some natural talent, his weakness will be running at bigger, faster forwards all day, a big step up from juniors. He might get the shit kicked out of him and be less effective. Happens to a lot of juniors when they hit FG straight from juniors. Averillo is one of them.
Halves by trade do not “run at big forwards all day”, so this isn’t an issue. His running is a strength anyway, as we saw last year.

Of all our halfback options I think he’s got the best skill set to work with but haven’t seen enough of his game management or ability to make the right decisions in playmaking.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Halves by trade do not “run at big forwards all day”, so this isn’t an issue. His running is a strength anyway, as we saw last year.

Of all our halfback options I think he’s got the best skill set to work with but haven’t seen enough of his game management or ability to make the right decisions in playmaking.
Well maybe not running at but will be tackled by bigger players more often than say at centre. Backs is probably an easier transition straight from juniors. Sam Walker had a decent year based purely on natural talent, but had the poo kicked out of him and got fended easily

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan averillo is no half BBO is inexperienced wakeham is average that only leaves Flanagan. By the way reckon would should have kept cogger

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see Flanagan have another chance next to Burton if he still can't get it right next to Burton I would put BBO in at 7 Averillo to centre jmk, wakeham to hooker

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We’d want to find a decent halfback soon. Burton is only guaranteed with us this year and next, after which he has a player option for the third year. If he’s the only playmaker and defences are rightly targeting him, our attack will be nothing. Why would he stick around if that’s the results we’re getting. All hypothetical and our attack might be good in a month or two, but after watching the trials, I’m not confident.
I thought we should have signed Jake Clifford... Our best hope is to keep Matt happy and ask him who he'd prefer as a halves partner at the club. Also give him input on potential halves recruitment

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I thought we should have signed Jake Clifford... Our best hope is to keep Matt happy and ask him who he'd prefer as a halves partner at the club. Also give him input on potential halves recruitment
I saw an article the other day and sounds like Burton is comfortable with Avo and said their combination will get better with time

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Lachlan Lam. He’s better then flanno.
Having watched Lam he's not much better.

We should be going big after Blake Taffe from Souths. He won't be their 7 (Elias is), and he's too good to just be a bench player. He's a half despite him playing well as a fullback last year.