Your Halfback?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of discussion on who will be 6 and who will be 7.
The best option is to play right and left halves. Burton will be the dominant half.
The best player to partner him is BBO.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Averillo will be halfback.
All this shit about JMK playing in the halves shows how fucking desperate, we as fans are, for success.
Averillo needs the guarantee of 4/5 games to start the season and build his game and cement his place in first grade. If he doesn't take his chance then look at Wakeham, then Flanagan.
Being realistic, we're building to 2023 with this team, 10th or up is par for mine.
Still some deadwood to get out by 2023 along with the addition of some class in Mahoney and Kikau, we need to be settled in the halves by then or be shopping for a 7 accordingly.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let's not forget broncos won a comp with Shane perry as the 7. We just need someone who doesn't shit the bed and has the slightest ability to manage a game, then let the 6, 1 and with a bit of luck the 9 take over the rest.
That’s just a little cheeky of you.. when you look at their side for the GF. 8-)

BB02E871-E763-40E4-AF00-B2DAB05E1C7B.jpeg

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Give averillo time it was just a fucken trial,he was quite good last year in a shit team ,he will shine with burton

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From the trial game against the Knights all the options that were tried and tested were failures.
To compliment Burton I’d give Flannagan one last try, his style of play might work. He can distribute the ball around and keep things structured as he does and because that's all he knows how to do which will allow Burton to play his own style of 5/8.
Averillo and BBO are both chooks with their heads cut off and Wakeham... I don't even know what to say except he doesn't belong.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Let's not forget broncos won a comp with Shane perry as the 7. We just need someone who doesn't shit the bed and has the slightest ability to manage a game, then let the 6, 1 and with a bit of luck the 9 take over the rest.
They also had rep quality players in every other position on the field.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Dufty
6. Burton
7. Wakeham
9. Cook

14. Biondi-Odo

Dufty has to stay at FB so we don't weaken 1 position to make another one just moderate. Burton is obvious & is the team's "spark". Wakeham to be the game manager to compliment Burton through lack of choice - only other option is Flanagan. Cook over JMK - he has a better pass from DH & seems to look for opportunities more. BBO on the bench for versatility; can play 6,7 & 9 & would add plenty in attack at the back end of halves.

Sorry to Averillo but he needs more development in reserves.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last tackle options are the key.
It’s about the kicks and or running the ball.

In general play a half who can also run the ball sometimes, can make impact. Especially because opposition will be watching Burton.

Not seeing any of our halves options providing a dominant kicking game or an occasional runnning game.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Unfortunately Flanagan's abysmal performances last year put us in the position we are now in regards to our 7

This time last year, halfback was the least of our worries. We had just bought Flanagan with the view that he would be our long term halfback. But his star burnt out fast.

Averillo was an outside back, Wakeham was young and inexperienced and BBO was just a young kid in Flegg that nobody knew about

Now TBaz is trying to manufacture one of Averillo, BBO or Wakeham into a consistent NRL half, and none of them are close to being ready

Averillo is there by default, not form....Wakeham hasn't stepped up and BBO went from Flegg to first grade and is still very young , although he shows the most promise

With Flanagan on our books on decent coin and probably hard to move on, we couldn't justify trying to add a 5th halfback to our roster for this year so we are stuck with what we have ....for now

If Averillo has trained all off season as the number one half, I would stick with him for the first 5 or 6 games, give him the confidence so he knows he won't be dropped after 1 week , and see how he goes partnered with Burton

I would play BBO at number 7 in NSW Cup for the same amount of time and if Averillo doesn't cut it, bring in BBO and start praying that he can do the job. A big ask for a young kid but he certainly has the potential

I imagine at the end of this year Gus would be looking at moving on 2 out of Flanno, Avo and Wakeham, with Flanno and Wakeham looking the most vulnerable at this stage

Gus has said a successful footy team needs a good halfback (or words to that effect)

This year is make or break for a couple of these guys so I hope for all our sakes that someone, anyone, stands up and gives us what we need at number 7, because if not, I'm certain Gus will make moves to get us what we need

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unfortunately Flanagan's abysmal performances last year put us in the position we are now in regards to our 7

This time last year, halfback was the least of our worries. We had just bought Flanagan with the view that he would be our long term halfback. But his star burnt out fast.

Averillo was an outside back, Wakeham was young and inexperienced and BBO was just a young kid in Flegg that nobody knew about

Now TBaz is trying to manufacture one of Averillo, BBO or Wakeham into a consistent NRL half, and none of them are close to being ready

Averillo is there by default, not form....Wakeham hasn't stepped up and BBO went from Flegg to first grade and is still very young , although he shows the most promise

With Flanagan on our books on decent coin and probably hard to move on, we couldn't justify trying to add a 5th halfback to our roster for this year so we are stuck with what we have ....for now

If Averillo has trained all off season as the number one half, I would stick with him for the first 5 or 6 games, give him the confidence so he knows he won't be dropped after 1 week , and see how he goes partnered with Burton

I would play BBO at number 7 in NSW Cup for the same amount of time and if Averillo doesn't cut it, bring in BBO and start praying that he can do the job. A big ask for a young kid but he certainly has the potential

I imagine at the end of this year Gus would be looking at moving on 2 out of Flanno, Avo and Wakeham, with Flanno and Wakeham looking the most vulnerable at this stage

Gus has said a successful footy team needs a good halfback (or words to that effect)

This year is make or break for a couple of these guys so I hope for all our sakes that someone, anyone, stands up and gives us what we need at number 7, because if not, I'm certain Gus will make moves to get us what we need
All Wakeham's chips are put in for this year because his contract is up at the end of the year. He performs or he is gone. Flanno & Averillo are contracted until 2023 & nobody would be interested in Flano.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Dufty
6. Burton
7. BBO
9. Cook
Seen enough of Averillo at 7 and JMK at 9. Both complete failures. I can't understand anyone wanting them to continue being failures. Doing nothing and expecting change is madness.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lets wait and see how Averillo goes with burton in second trial before we jump the gun

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL JMK at 7 you’re kidding. Also I can’t believe there’s people who still want wakeham or Flanagan there, clearly never actually watched when they played there for us. Both have absolutely fuckall to offer, at least Jake has speed even though he sucked ass the other night. He’s been training with Burton all off-season so let’s just see how they go together first. If he’s shit again this week we’re fucked

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOL JMK at 7 you’re kidding. Also I can’t believe there’s people who still want wakeham or Flanagan there, clearly never actually watched when they played there for us. Both have absolutely fuckall to offer, at least Jake has speed even though he sucked ass the other night. He’s been training with Burton all off-season so let’s just see how they go together first. If he’s shit again this week we’re fucked
We really only have 2 game managers in the top 30 - Wakeham & Flanagan. If you don't pick one of them, you aren't going to have a game manager, you will have 2 spark players; it doesn't work so well; it's unbalanced. Wakeham has only ever played 1 stretch of 5 games in a row up until he breached the COVID guidelines last year & he was just starting to show something. I say tell him he has 5 games to prove himself, to take some pressure off him.

Averillo needs development time. He has been pushed into first grade too quickly, due lack of options. Is he even a half? So out of all the time Averillo had last year, what did he show? Not much either, so whoever is picked is lucky to be there.

Whatever Barrett's plan is, he should have made up his mind already & play him V Sharks with Burton to develop a combination.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We really only have 2 game managers in the top 30 - Wakeham & Flanagan. If you don't pick one of them, you aren't going to have a game manager, you will have 2 spark players; it doesn't work so well; it's unbalanced. Wakeham has only ever played 1 stretch of 5 games in a row up until he breached the COVID guidelines last year & he was just starting to show something. I say tell him he has 5 games to prove himself, to take some pressure off him.

Averillo needs development time. He has been pushed into first grade too quickly, due lack of options. Is he even a half? So out of all the time Averillo had last year, what did he show? Not much either, so whoever is picked is lucky to be there.

Whatever Barrett's plan is, he should have made up his mind already & play him V Sharks with Burton to develop a combination.
How are Flanagan and wakeham game managers? Which games did they successfully manage for us? I can’t think of any.
I think it’s just a stereotype that halves who don’t have a running game are labelled “game managers”. If you actually think about it, neither wakeham or Flanno do anything better than Jake. Jake is just known for his running game, and even though he hasn’t done much at HB, you can’t say anyone else has done more to prove they’re better At any aspect.

btw the games wakeham played before the covid incident were at 5/8 outside jake , not halfback. Flanno was asscheeks every time he played