Your half yearly bulldogs report card

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des is really worrying me this year ,that team we had last night we should have won by 30 ,we are very predictable especially out wide in defence getting caught out alot but most of all the players for whatever reason have looked lacklustre and unenthusiastic . Every week i think well click up a gear but we dont ,i really feel des being so set in his selection ways brings no consequences to players in 1st grade playing bad and conversely players in nsw cup would think whats the point in playing well guys like trex just get picked no matter what .i really hope des has been holding them back and against manly well really start to kick on

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Defence: B-
Attack: C+
Structure: C
Coaching: A-
Selections: B+
Potential: A
Predicted ladder position: 3rd or 4th

The Bulldogs of 2012 looked a lot more impressive at this stage of the season, but despite that they had only one extra win on the board.

Defence- Last season all our success revolved around our near impenetrable defensive structure. This year we seem to have developed a couple of lapses on one side of the field. I think our line speed is also down on where it was last season. I hope we solve these issues before finals time.

Attack- Recently we are getting closer to an A but we began the year at D+, we had enthusiasm but little respect for ball security and we were heavily penalized which meant we could lose momentum as quickly as were able to gain it. Kicking options were poor which meant we couldn't sustain pressure for more than a set of six. We still lose our rudder when we get within 20 metres of scoring but we have improved there a bit because we have some variety in our kicking options now. We are starting to see the team get repeat sets where earlier we'd see a lot more changes of possession. The exciting thing is that we have a lot of room for improvement and we are still winning most of our games. We should be much more fluent in attack by the time the finals begin.

Structure- We had a few teething problems this year. The 2nd row position on the right side of the field had 2 very solid defenders filling the position last season in Stagg and Halatau. Williams just isn't and won't be as mobile in defense as either of them and this has formed a questionable area in our defensive structure. I don't think this is Entirely the fault of Williams. With the shuffling between Inu and Lafai in the centre position on that side, something has gone astray in terms of communication between Lafai and Perret and often we see them reading from different scripts on where they should be headed in relation to each other. Our attacking structure looks fine to me though.

Coaching- I'm not sure if Hasler has the side set to improve slowly so we have some surprises left for the finals or not but in Des i trust. We will be near our best at the right end of the season.

Selections- I've been pretty happy with player selection. We had to rely on depth at the start pf the year but everyone performed fairly well so no complaints with who we've seen in the side. I would have preferred to see Williams eased into the side off the bench though. He did look VERY lost when he first started.

Potential- We only had three permanent changes to the top 17 this season with Williams, Hodkinson and Browne replacing Stagg, Keating and Turner but Hodkinson adds a lot to our kicking game and Williams at his best can be a real handful in attack. So i think when things click on that side of the field we will be dangerous accross the park. As long as we keep most of this team on the field i think we can improve enough to go one better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bring it on

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Defence = C
Attack= E (we are very predictable)
Structure = A+ (very boring)
Coaching= B
Selections = A (should drop Trex for a few games)
Potential = B
predicted ladder finish 5th

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
I am surprised that we are only loss behind last year , THINK IF YOU PULLED OUT THE FOR AND AGAINST WE WOULD BE WAY BEHIND THOUGH , but after watching the Storm completely smash the Sharks last nite we are a long long way behind the top 3 teams .
Having said that , a win at Crookvale would really , really build the guys confidence and could be THE turning point of 2013 and make our charge for a top 4 finish .

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right about now having a full strength side in its second season we should be starting to build up to some great form.
Last years Brookvale game was brutal and thats the type of intensity it will take this time round, I don't know how Manly do it most weeks but thats where we are at.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Defence: D
Attack:C
Structure: C
Coaching: C
Selections: D
Potential: A
Predicted ladder position: 5th

At this stage I am not convinced at all that we have the mental fortitude to compete with Melbourne, Souths and Manly when they play there best possible games. We are towards the top of the second tier group following those previously mentioned top 3. I don't know if our season is unfolding how Hasler wanted so its hard to say if he has played a master stroke or made some errors, time will tell in this department. We have the halfback now that should be there and Williams is playing from the bench the way he should have. From now its a mixture of results, beating teams easily that we should, honing our attack, tighting our defence and building consistently upwards until September so we are in perfect shape both mentally and in execution and effort to preffesionally give the trophy a full 100% crack!

Overall I give us a C for our season so far!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ill lose it if des starts trex this week hell be so much more effective from the bench

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
That match there last night was very very very brutal , remember how Kas was taken out early and Glen Stewert and co aimed for the head all night ? I say fuck them , they beat us fair and square earlier this season but now its our turn to shine .
Des mentioned in the presser that we need to improve - I agree .
The hate we have for the Manly club is nothing compared to the hate they have for us , fire up 'dogs fans !

outoforder

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ill lose it if des starts trex this week hell be so much more effective from the bench
He'll start the game and these will be his stats at the end:

42m from 7 hitups
15 tackles
4 missed tackles
3 errors
0 linebreaks
0 offloads

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
261 points leaked is far too many.. over the next 13 rounds I would love to see no more than a maximum 100 points scored against us.. Attack lets grab 280 points and bring our f and a back into the top tier of this competition..

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically we haven't played the style of footy that bought us success last year. Only one game we played that style and we piled 40 on the tigers. Des has got us playing no frills footy to grind out wins and get the 2 points. I suspect after origin des will ramp us up and start playing that style. This year our attack in the opposition 20 has improved significantly. When doing our sweeping plays, last year teams marked up on Barba and it bought us undone. This year those same plays we have mixed it up by cutting barba out and going short or wider. Des has done a great job getting us under the radar. We are in the 8 and won our last 6 from 7. Looking for a big 2nd half to the year!

Status
Not open for further replies.