News You'd like your halfback with hands on the footy': Barrett finally addresses big flaw in Bulldogs' attack

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sharks are doing it really well this season, as soon as they build momentum Hynes and Moylan are looking to move the ball wide and they do it quickly. Sharks also have some good edge forwards that run some strong lines that again put pressure on the defence and create that bit of extra room for the backs. At times the Sharks have literally played sideline to sideline and made big metres.
At beginning of season i thought sharkies had too many sisde to side players - atm their halves are getting to the "space" really quicky and putting pressure on edge defences = middles are are being kept fresh as the backs are doing a lot of the hard metre runs

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He only realises this now after winning just 13 games in 3 years.
I'm sure he knew these things before now. And the last few years, you will only do your head in dwelling on them

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
At beginning of season i thought sharkies had too many sisde to side players - atm their halves are getting to the "space" really quicky and putting pressure on edge defences = middles are are being kept fresh as the backs are doing a lot of the hard metre runs
Fitzgibbon deserves a lot of praise, only been at the club for a couple of months yet he has already identified the squads strengths and is playing to them. There will obviously be issues that arise as the season goes on and it will be interesting to see how him and the players react to that but they've already established an identity and laid the foundations of a very good football team. Meanwhile at Belmore...yh na, this is depressing to think about haha.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
When To'o returns from injury Panther are going to have 2 metre eater wingers and a centre that's in a centre/second row hybrid body. Their fullback is also a high metre average fullback. They're all fast and athletic too. They're going to constantly destroy teams in the metres department and they're going to get more out of their forwards (less work) because of their backs. When looking at our backs we don't have that luxury.
FAST! JAC blew by them like they were standing still and Stimson then outran them to the line.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fitzgibbon deserves a lot of praise, only been at the club for a couple of months yet he has already identified the squads strengths and is playing to them. There will obviously be issues that arise as the season goes on and it will be interesting to see how him and the players react to that but they've already established an identity and laid the foundations of a very good football team. Meanwhile at Belmore...yh na, this is depressing to think about haha.
Cronulla are not playing any different to the style SFlanagan introduced and JMorris carried on with.

Always a Bulldog

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is hope given that he has called out JMK. That double pump JMK does is an absolute killer and it's not like he does it every now and then he does it consistently that every team knows the service is going to be slowing to a crawl

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There is hope given that he has called out JMK. That double pump JMK does is an absolute killer and it's not like he does it every now and then he does it consistently that every team knows the service is going to be slowing to a crawl
Looks like someone else is doing work @ dh...

20220414_150637.jpg

Axel_75

Waterboy
Reaction score
Lots of doom and gloom on here, kick the while they're down. You guys need to stop watching Fox Sports and all those scary looking stats.

First two or three games this year the dogs looked a lot better than last year in both defence and attack. I enjoyed watching them with the ball in hand. I was excited for the first time in ages. We created more scoring opportunities and we looked a much better team. For the long term, it's a positive, even if we didn't get the result.

Next two games Melbourne and Penrith. Different level, I'm sure nobody tipped the Dogs? Any positives? Nothing really against Melbourne (they are the masters of slowing the opposition play the ball down, and playing off the mark in attack). Better against Penrith. We could have only be down by 8 at halftime. With 15 to go we were behind by 14 (and that with all the errors) We weren't we getting pumped by 60 which was the case last year.

Baz did inherent a bottom of the table team. Not just out of the eight but down the bottom for several seasons. And not just the first grade team. A bottom of the table club.

There are some positive signs which I think no one wants to talk about, particularly the media. The first grade team is competitive (ignoring the top four teams, which unfortunately is the way the comp has been for the past few years). The lower grades are doing well.

Like Gus said, it's a long term project. The Dogs are on the up.

See how we are doing 2/3 of the way through the season with this new group. The team just needs to focus on timing and that brings confidence.

I feel much more confident than I did last year that we will improve and get more wins.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of doom and gloom on here, kick the while they're down. You guys need to stop watching Fox Sports and all those scary looking stats.

First two or three games this year the dogs looked a lot better than last year in both defence and attack. I enjoyed watching them with the ball in hand. I was excited for the first time in ages. We created more scoring opportunities and we looked a much better team. For the long term, it's a positive, even if we didn't get the result.

Next two games Melbourne and Penrith. Different level, I'm sure nobody tipped the Dogs? Any positives? Nothing really against Melbourne (they are the masters of slowing the opposition play the ball down, and playing off the mark in attack). Better against Penrith. We could have only be down by 8 at halftime. With 15 to go we were behind by 14 (and that with all the errors) We weren't we getting pumped by 60 which was the case last year.

Baz did inherent a bottom of the table team. Not just out of the eight but down the bottom for several seasons. And not just the first grade team. A bottom of the table club.

There are some positive signs which I think no one wants to talk about, particularly the media. The first grade team is competitive (ignoring the top four teams, which unfortunately is the way the comp has been for the past few years). The lower grades are doing well.

Like Gus said, it's a long term project. The Dogs are on the up.

See how we are doing 2/3 of the way through the season with this new group. The team just needs to focus on timing and that brings confidence.

I feel much more confident than I did last year that we will improve and get more wins.
Yeh I agree for most there are lot of positives but I think the negativity you mention is more deferred hope. Plenty of passionate people about this.Club on here. The majority are very long suffering people on here Axle. The improvement across the club has been refreshing and I think that the Club is at work on a number of fronts to rectify the problems. Th Foxtel Media have to talk about something and unfortunately a Club of this size continuing to underperform with key players from our own juniors staring in roles at other clubs will always be a sore point.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t know why we don’t try and spread the ball in our own half more often, obviously it’s harder to attack when your inside opposition 20m line, and we look clueless when we actually do, I think that try we scored last week is probably the only time we have given the outside backs early ball from our own half, I know he is scared shit less that we will drop the ball, but the forwards with feet for hands usually drop it running one out anyway

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What does the media have to do with a 4-25 record under Baz and averaging 8 points a game? The amount of excuses people make on here are staggering.

People keep saying it was only against Melbourne and Penrith and we looked great before that..... We only scored 6 points against Nth Qld, 10 points against Brisbane and 12 against Manly. And had the worst attack in the comp last season. So let's stop pretending our attacking issues are new or all made up by the media.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Everyone is fixated with a forward running it on the 4th . If you notice most teams actually do this and there is a reason . What they are trying to is compress defence and hopefully get a quick Ptb so the halves have time to do an attacking kick at end of the set.
Problem for dogs has been either slowish ptb ( I think they use the wrong forward for this )or the halves have been not up to standards to put in a good kick at the end
i would say the bad attacking teams do this not the good attacking teams like Penrith, Parra and Storm. The tackle you are referring to are called "set up" plays.
If you take our offence sets, we have usually have 2 set up plays for a shift on the 3rd then a set up play on 4 for a shift on the 5th, then kick on the 6th. Problem is with our set up plays is that we go one out, where storm for examples run in pairs and use tip off plays making it hard to defend to and therefore they get a quick play the ball. We go one out and then 3 tacklers dominating us in the tackle.
Take Parra for example on a offence tap kick. They usually use one set up to the 50 or 60, tackle 2 they shift, tackle 3 they either shift again to other side or they play a 3 man pass back to the middle. They then shift on tackle 4 or run a short side. Parra do not waste too many tackles whereas we only ever throw one or two plays at a team.
We need the ball in flanno and Burton's hand a minimum 4 out of 6 tackles in good ball sets and stop fucking wasting good ball sets.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
FAST! JAC blew by them like they were standing still and Stimson then outran them to the line.

Always a Bulldog
Stimmo was the 2nd decoy runner. He and Vaughan did a great job of hitting a hole and not obstructing. As the 2nd decoy though, Stimmo basically just kept jogging up the field, instead of stopping after clearing the defensive line. That more than anything hints at the play being something they've planned for. He watched for JAC to make the run up the sideline and then sprinted in position from there.

And wasn't that a sublime pass from JAC, torp, on the run, a good 8-10m in-field, hit a running Stimmo on the chest! I don't think he had to adjust his stride at all.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how the players respond to this tomorrow. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it backfires.

The point about only having 8 sets with good ball is a key bit of context.
Well the main problem is Baz can say what he wants, players don’t have to worry that he will blow up at them if they stuff up. He seems to be too relaxed when players stuff up, the following week you also get to stay in team. Case in point - Matt Dufty. Good little player at times, but last week he was awful. Needs a spell to reset. Not in Baz’s eyes. It could pay off or it could be coyote ugly again.

Axel_75

Waterboy
Reaction score
What does the media have to do with a 4-25 record under Baz and averaging 8 points a game? The amount of excuses people make on here are staggering.

People keep saying it was only against Melbourne and Penrith and we looked great before that..... We only scored 6 points against Nth Qld, 10 points against Brisbane and 12 against Manly. And had the worst attack in the comp last season. So let's stop pretending our attacking issues are new or all made up by the media.
Never said the issues were new. The opposite. The many issues have been there for years.
The point is the criticism is never balanced.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well the main problem is Baz can say what he wants, players don’t have to worry that he will blow up at them if they stuff up. He seems to be too relaxed when players stuff up, the following week you also get to stay in team. Case in point - Matt Dufty. Good little player at times, but last week he was awful. Needs a spell to reset. Not in Baz’s eyes. It could pay off or it could be coyote ugly again.
Interesting that Allan is one of the two remaining reserves for tomorrows game (along with Ava). I guess we'll see what happens, but we do have a problem in terms of ready to go fullbacks. If Dufty doesn't play my first suspicion would be he is struggling mentally.

The Duff had been pretty good the first four rounds of the season, he has plenty of run metres, low error count, and no specific defensive lapses that led to opposition tries (which he was very much guilty of last season for St Merge). He had a shocker against Pansters, no question.

But, what do you do as a coach to get him straight back to the level he was at before last week, and hopefully even better? Do you drop the player after one bad game? It depends, though I think you will find that most players (including ones that haven't had a bad game and don't get dropped) will struggle on the back of such a move, because they have the unconscious thought that "if I stuff up in one game, I'm gone".

It is easy from the armchairs, but the blokes making the actual decisions have many considerations to think about that we are not aware of.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not fussed about him anymore as we have Mahoney coming.