You call us: Greenberg says Dogs won't go coach chasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BULLDOGS chief executive Todd Greenberg has declared the club will not be contacting prospective coaches about their interest in taking over from Steve Folkes next year, and insists Kevin Moore is not guaranteed the job.

While Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney, Catalans mentor Mick Potter, and St Helens boss Daniel Anderson have also been linked to the position made vacant by Folkes's decision on Monday not to seek re-appointment, all say they will not be applying but would be interested if approached.

Kearney, who along with fellow Storm assistant Michael Maguire, is in line to be the next Melbourne coach if Craig Bellamy moves to Brisbane to replace Dragons-bound Wayne Bennett, is held in high regard among the large number of Polynesian players in the NRL and would be a popular choice with the likes of Sonny Bill Williams and Ben Roberts, while Potter and Anderson have connections at official level.

Potter, who is weighing up an offer to join St Helens against his current lifestyle in the south of France, is a former Bulldogs player and played alongside a number of the club's directors, while Anderson is said to have a relationship with Greenberg.

But the new Bulldogs boss, who will make a recommendation on the new coach to the club's board, said he would not be chasing any of them to apply for the job.

"I'm not going to be ringing around to see who is interested and who isn't," Greenberg said. "There has already been a number of people express an interest and I think the job has received enough publicity to ensure that anyone who wants to apply will."

Asked about Moore, who has worked under Folkes - his brother-in-law - since 1999, Greenberg said: "Kevin is certainly a big chance but we want to assess all the candidates before we make a decision."

He said the appointment was likely to be for two or three years.

Meanwhile, Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said he would begin interviewing candidates to replace Bennett some time this month, with Bellamy a firm favourite even though he is contracted to Melbourne for another year.

Cullen said all interviews would take place in Australia, meaning the likes of Anderson and Castleford's Terry Matterson might have to fly out from England if they are interested.

Bennett's assistant, Ivan Henjak, and former Broncos great Kevin Walters are also believed to be contenders.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...o-coach-chasing/2008/04/08/1207420389918.html

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I like his style - we do not want cocky morons that think their crap does not stink. Referring to anyone as a clown for expressing interest in the position in an article made me realise anyone with that kind of attitude can stay where they are.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anderson's manager, Jim Banaghan, said: "We won't be sticking our hand up. We'll just wait and see what Canterbury do. The owner of the circus is the one who should pick out the ringmaster - anyone who puts their hands up are usually the clowns. We won't be one of the clowns."
:D

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

i think the other coaches think moore has already got the job.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The media perception is that Moore has the job, hence other applicants believe they are wasting their time although I agree with Greenberg that the club shouldnt have to chase them.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
The media perception is that Moore has the job, hence other applicants believe they are wasting their time although I agree with Greenberg that the club shouldnt have to chase them.
Yep, thats why the club is taking that approach, so they can say they picked the best candidate from those who applied, which because only Moore applied, meant he was the best available.

Most companies go head hunting for the staff they want, really it's silly not to. Why not approach guys like Kearney and find out what they can offer the club, rather than the head in the sand approach like they are doing now.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All seems a bit strange to me. From all reports it is Moore's job, but just a strange thing for Greenberg to say. If you want a good actor in a movie, you ring up his agent, not wait around until one calls you up. If you did, you could end up with Pauly Shore as your lead role as opposed to De Niro.

But like I said, think the job is Moore's and this is all talk anyway.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Whos thinking folkes might go to the broncos?

Bulldog Power

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im starting to think greenburg is a bit of a nong

he has those morris iemma kinda eyes

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Okay Greenburg, when all the quality coaches are snapped up and where left with no other option but Kevin Moore and he perhaps fails miserably will this fall into another one of your 'good' ideas? Youknow, not approaching any coaches because your too proud? And not being tough in the player market? Hmmm?

Greenburg, i know you're still only new but you'd wanna hope you pull your finger out.

Bring back Noady or Turvey.

A

A_C

Don't like it - the club seems arrogant now. You approach us. What if on face value no one wants to coach our team? But if GB was to put forward a proposal they may change heart and see value in coaching our team.

Very high risk he is taking.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
His job is to find the best man for the job, what is he being payed for? He needs to call Bellamy and ask Folkes to keep his options open in case we cannot replace him.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His job is to find the best man for the job, what is he being payed for? He needs to call Bellamy and ask Folkes to keep his options open in case we cannot replace him.
By not approaching coaches it actually does seem arrogant. If he was serious about getting the best coach why doesn't he go out of his way to find the best coach ? This attitude of you come to us, we won't come to you is very arrogant. Then again if those coaches really want to coach the dogs why wouldn't they appy?

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree with this method at all, it's a competitive market place - you have to chase the man you want

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
With all the bad publicity we are receiving, who the heck would want to come to us? It's obvious this guy is new to the footy world.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a good look to start playing hardball before you have earn't the right to do so...this approach is negative for mine

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly. Is Greenberg 15 years old? Waiting for them to call first? If you want the best man for the job, you go and get the best man for the job. Not sit around and hope he gets in touch.

I hope this isn't how he will handle player recruitment because if it is, we are in alot of trouble.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. Is Greenberg 15 years old? Waiting for them to call first? If you want the best man for the job, you go and get the best man for the job. Not sit around and hope he gets in touch.

I hope this isn't how he will handle player recruitment because if it is, we are in alot of trouble.
True mate!!!

za_za360

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Moore's our next coach ... Greenberg is just delaying the inevitable. He'll probably end it off with "after a detailed and thorough application process, Moore emerged as the most suitable candidate".
... Just pick a coach so we have some sort of chance of attracting some new talent to our team!

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
I don't like Greenberg's hardball approach. Although it seems that Moore is destined to be coach of the Dogs for 2009. Like many of you have said, other coaches won't even bother if not asked. Would this same approach be applied to recruiting players as well...i hope not imo

Status
Not open for further replies.