Would you want Benji Marshall to join our team this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No...we want players loyal to the club, team and its fans.
Loyalty is dead. 11 of our 17 man squad last week started at other clubs so it's hypocritical to say that we only want loyal players. The only thing that matters is winning and there is no risk in signing Benji to a 6 month contract. He improves our attack greatly from fullback. He'll only play in the halves if we get an injury or Origin commitments.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Kent reckons were in the hunt.

But why?

JMP2024

Waterboy
Reaction score
The acquisition of Benji (as reported $60K mark) for the remainder of 2014 (let's say 13rds taking into consideration byes) is an appealing purchase given his credentials as a league player.

Slotting him into the FB position would be my choice (and Perret to the wing). He would add another attacking dynamic platform in the backline with his experience.

What's the worst case scenario, at the end of the season we let him go and he signs with another club for more than $60K.

However, it would be fair to say a failed stint in rugby would make him more determined & hungry to prove himself in league again.

Not bad of a risk for $60K

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The acquisition of Benji (as reported $60K mark) for the remainder of 2014 (let's say 13rds taking into consideration byes) is an appealing purchase given his credentials as a league player.

Slotting him into the FB position would be my choice (and Perret to the wing). He would add another attacking dynamic platform in the backline with his experience.

What's the worst case scenario, at the end of the season we let him go and he signs with another club for more than $60K.

However, it would be fair to say a failed stint in rugby would make him more determined & hungry to prove himself in league again.

Not bad of a risk for $60K
I thought minimum wage was 85k?

JMP2024

Waterboy
Reaction score
You could be right, even so $85K for a player of his calibre for 13 rds is still an appealing risk for what he potentially has to offer.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
85k is for the whole year and since he's missed a quarter of the season then he wouldn't get the whole 85k.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
On sterlo they reckon he can't go at minimum wage as the nrl will put a market price on him, similar to the debacle that the nrl did to para for Folau and RL losing him again.

Doggies 2035

Waterboy
Reaction score
Nope wouldn't want him if we wanted a playmaker I would get moses mbye who's local junior and is hungry to play and is young not some over price player I rather see him in sharks or penrith or dragons

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The positive I see is that Des pulled off some magic in 2012 with mid-season purchases in Inu and Perrett. For me I would be more curious to see how he would go than to be against it. If we have money spare for this year with no other plans for it than we may aswell use it on him, at worst he plays crap and ends up in nsw cup, at best he's the missing attacking weapon we need and helps take us to GF glory. I'm not dead against it.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
id put my money on Benji in a race between Perret, Browne and Thompson, tackling is an issue but he is a freak of a player on his day, sign him till the end of the year with an option in our favour.
"WAS" a freak of a Player!!

JMP2024

Waterboy
Reaction score
Benji will ultimately seek to maximise his potential (approx 2-3yrs in this tier of league) and any club that offers or can commit to the highest coin would be his first option. Therefore clubs like Sharks & Dragons would be highly appealing to him. But are they a genuine premiership teams and would the current coach elevate his game?

Clubs like the Dogs & Storm would be an appealing option for the fact they have premiership credentials and his game (under Des or Bellamy) would most likely be elevated and therefore increase his demand of price for future negotiation. Does he take the minimum wage/market price to the end of the season (given his been paid out by rugby) and re negotiate at the end of the season?

From a Dogs point of view, Benji would be a great asset at FB - ticks the boxes for the skills & attacking required and could be the missing link for October title.
However all good ideas come down to one thing - salary cap!

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Benji will ultimately seek to maximise his potential (approx 2-3yrs in this tier of league) and any club that offers or can commit to the highest coin would be his first option. Therefore clubs like Sharks & Dragons would be highly appealing to him. But are they a genuine premiership teams and would the current coach elevate his game?

Clubs like the Dogs & Storm would be an appealing option for the fact they have premiership credentials and his game (under Des or Bellamy) would most likely be elevated and therefore increase his demand of price for future negotiation. Does he take the minimum wage/market price to the end of the season (given his been paid out by rugby) and re negotiate at the end of the season?

From a Dogs point of view, Benji would be a great asset at FB - ticks the boxes for the skills & attacking required and could be the missing link for October title.
However all good ideas come down to one thing - salary cap!
And what about d? what about the other 79 minutes and 30 seconds of the game?

Marshall Magic = a good looking play, but that's all it is a single good looking play which leads to a try 80% of the time.

I'd take a hard working, 80 minute gritty player over the "skilled, attack orientated" smokescreen player EVERYDAY of the week.

oh and that's a no, I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club.

JMP2024

Waterboy
Reaction score
And what about d? what about the other 79 minutes and 30 seconds of the game?

Marshall Magic = a good looking play, but that's all it is a single good looking play which leads to a try 80% of the time.

I'd take a hard working, 80 minute gritty player over the "skilled, attack orientated" smokescreen player EVERYDAY of the week.

oh and that's a no, I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club.
The same could be said about Barba in his early career and what happen in season 2012 we went to the big dance off the back of an attacking FB rather than his defence deficiency.

If anything Barba was more a liability than Benji is.

I agree defence is not his strong points, however what he has to offer outweighs his lack on defence and I'm sure Des & the coaching management will put a plan in place.

Hard working 80mins player will get you so far but the point of difference Benji brings is appealing.

Especially if we are looking at minimum wage/market price that is nominal.

I wouldn't be entertaining an offer over $150K a year - then again and as reported we did throw $850K at a forward contracted to the Sharks.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
The same could be said about Barba in his early career and what happen in season 2012 we went to the big dance off the back of an attacking FB rather than his defence deficiency.

If anything Barba was more a liability than Benji is.

I agree defence is not his strong points, however what he has to offer outweighs his lack on defence and I'm sure Des & the coaching management will put a plan in place.

Hard working 80mins player will get you so far but the point of difference Benji brings is appealing.

Especially if we are looking at minimum wage/market price that is nominal.

I wouldn't be entertaining an offer over $150K a year - then again and as reported we did throw $850K at a forward contracted to the Sharks.
What plan? What plan could you possibly put in place to counter the biggest EGO in the game in Round 8 of the competition?

Ben Barba was a kid... he had years under our systems and he came good for one season after A LOT of work. And should I remind you he didn't do anything when it mattered most in the Grand Final.

In any case, players like Ben, like Benji are poison, a cancer which shouldn't be entertained at any cost.

Particularily Benji, at his age and the years he had to build his ego and demands. No thank you

Sam Perrett will do quite nicely thanks.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Benji to the centres pushing Lafai to the wing would be feasible ... Benji still has speed and great footwork and any defensive liabilities would be patched with having guys like Lafai and TRex by his side, Remember he is available for around $60,000 as rumored for the remainder of the year which is a bargain buy.

jo7resh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Benji to the centres pushing Lafai to the wing would be feasible ... Benji still has speed and great footwork and any defensive liabilities would be patched with having guys like Lafai and TRex by his side, Remember he is available for around $60,000 as rumored for the remainder of the year which is a bargain buy.
this idea is just in the ball park at all could you imagine Reynolds and Benji defending next to each other

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Des would get the best out of him without a doubt and he could be a revelation at fullback, or he might completely destroy our culture - he has ego problems.

End of the day though he will sign with the Sharks because that's where his mates are.

If he wanted to take his footy seriously he should sign with a club like Melb or Dogs but he is a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.