Worst ever player loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
There is always a lot of angst on this site about players leaving the club (at the moment its SBW, Mason & Anasta). I think the Club's recent history has shown an amazing ability to rebuild from player losses and find new talent.

I want to know what you think the worst ever player loss has been for you personally. The one which left you shattered / angry / betrayed !

As a youngster I was shattered when Gillespie and Farrar joined Wests in 1991. I loved those 2 guys and thought it was the end of the world when they left along with Langmack, Thomas & Alchin.

But by 1993 we had the likes of McCracken & Jason Smith filling thier spots and we were minor premiers

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The 4 that left for Parra was a huge hit. McCracken, Dymock, Smith and Dean pay were the worst losses of all time.

At that stage Dymock was the best lock in the world, Jason Smith was in the Qld origin side and so was Dean Pay.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I think so far for me

the worst was McCracken,J Smith,Dymock and Pay :(
that was when the SL/ARL court case BS was happening and it was after Lamb won the last Premiership with the Dogs!!!!

Anyway Lamb's Retirement,Losing those 4 and the split of SL/ARL forced me turn my back and walk away from league for a good 2 years!!!

But Returned 1998 when they played Melbourne Storm in Rnd25 I think!!!!
I returned in great timing the Bulldogs had a rough season losing more than they won so they had to win every week coming into the finals to have a shot!!!!
Anyway funny coincidence as soon as I came back as a supporter the Bulldogs went back to their old ways of being consistant!!
that year would of been one of their best GF wins!!!
They went to hell and back to get to the GF but they made Parramatta pay :D

and even though we lost McCracken and the rest to Parra they have paid us back in full with just Ryan and Tonga :D
and now the Dogs have another complimentary 2 of theirs which they think are both useless!!!
when the younger one was just SG Ball Player of the year 2004 not much :rolleyes:

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Steve Price, I still have complete respect for the man he is and he was one of the greatest captains we ever had. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the anniversary dinner and he was one of the best blokes you could ever hope to shake hands with.

Smith, Pay, Dymock and McCracken didn't mean that much to me as I knew they could never bring Parra out of their slump. Price and Wikki on the other hand can do that for The Warriors.

::JuSt-BLaZe::

`ashley.
Reaction score
Nigel Vagana....he was freakn awesome with the dogs, now what has he become with the Sharks? I saw hardly anything from him in 2004 and I hope he regrets leaving... He would have worked so well with the new team because there are so many good players now not like before....
And of course Pricey...I think next year the boys won't do as well without him because he was such a leader to them in every way, on and off the field he is a leader.
And don't forget Daryl Halligan....legend

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think when Chris Mortimer left at the end of '87, he was a great tackler and the player I was hoping Ben Harris would become.

Hair Of The Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I remember being about 10 or 11 when Steve Gearin left for Saints and I was pretty shattered, but McCracken and co was definately my worst.

I remember going to watch the Dogs play Parra at Parra Stadium just after the 4 of them resigned with the ARL. We were going OK, Parra were coming almost last and they thrashed us. It has to be the worst night I have ever spent at the football. We had lost 4 of our big guns (5 if you include Brett Dallas) and we got smacked by a team of nevilles. Sitting between 2 Parra supporters (never fun at the best of times) certainly didn't help.

>iTs A dOgG LyF<

.aka. DoG4LyFe
Reaction score
"PRICEY" for sure but i still all respect for the man & i always will. Stuck with the dogs through our toughest times & always seemed ontop of things. when i found out he signed with the warriors i couldnt believe it, i thought it was a bad joke, lol. He will always be a DOG4LIFE.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Tricky" Trindall. He was the worst player we ever lost.

-alex-

fiesty midget
Reaction score
Cammo said:
Steve Price, I still have complete respect for the man he is and he was one of the greatest captains we ever had. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the anniversary dinner and he was one of the best blokes you could ever hope to shake hands with.
*cries* I totally agree with you Cammo, Pricey was a f****n champion!! :(

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
A few - I have to say my fav. players to leave us and hardest to deal with were Jimmy Dymock (absolute champ -strong and skillful).. Brett Dallas (was put into res. grade coz of the stuff that happened but - like all red heads - was an absolute speed machine) and Travis Norton ( another lock with ability to carry tacklers an extra 5, top tackler and a good football brain.)

My favourite player of all time - we had to lose - is Terry Lamb. Kept going while others would take it easy and would always back up his runners. Presence of mind in support - not speed - got him to the line so many times in his career.... the true meaning of legend....

2004 Premiers

im still pissed off that dymock left he was my favourite player along with terry lamb i was shattered when he left and it pisses me off even more that he went to parra and another thing that pisses me off even more is that he is now apart of the rorters organisation.

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
Mine was when McCracken left. He was my favourite player at the time.

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
Karlz said:
r we talking bout jarrod mc craken?
was he once a doggie?
i remember wot happened to him, that bloke was a champ, *shakes fist at kearney

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
Yep, he was a Doggie. Seems like ages ago now though.

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
Karlz said:
On a skills level though, imo, Price, Lamb, and Halligan are the worst we've lost.

quack70

Waterboy
Reaction score
the dymock, pay, smith, mcraken thing was hard to handle, but nothing hit me like when pricey said he was goin, that devastated me, i just didnt think it would ever happen, but i think im over it, the gf win eased the pain a little

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
of players that left befor their time,
dymock,he was a bulldog in every aspect,
pricey,as above,
mcraken,was the future of our club,
trindall,has himself to blame,
talau,as above,
norton,what a champ,but went home.

reired players we wish were still here.
britt,a champ in every aspect,