Worst Defence In the Competition

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still can't believe no one contested that first bomb of the game, on the first set. fmd, that was embarrassing for a NRL side. If that cut out that first 5 minutes of the game, good chance we win tonight.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its still a conspiracy and they always fight back, the ref literally gave them a try in the first half.
When I watch the footy I wanna watch the footy, if people have issues it shouldn't be fought out in the public domain., sorry if things spill over, too many fingers in the pie
Still on a learning curve as a team with the rookies getting experience.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have the worst defence in the competition, yet our coach is known as an excellent defensive coach, what can we put it down to?

258 points against to date
Dude, wait until magic round is over first before posting this thread - Tigs and Cows might cop a pasting.

Having a huge amount of injuries, players on one leg, and short turnarounds, defensively we’re doing ok, it’s the 1-1 misses that have been disappointing & tonight there was a couple.

Easy for us to get frustrated, but they’re actually going ok considering - they lost by 4 against a full strength Raiders who had an extra days recovery.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not really concerned by this until we actually string a consistent line up together for 4-6 weeks

There are enough signs to say that our edge and tackle technique have improved a lot

I was actually a lot more concerned about our attack before the last 2 weeks where it has improved

I’m definitely happier now than even after the sharks game TBH but if we want a sniff of the 8 we need to win our next 2, although I don’t really care if we make it or not this year

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Injuries, lack of playing same team week in week out… people need to realise that it takes time to defend next to a new player every week. Once the team begins to finally play back to back matches with the same line up then defence will get better.
As frustrating as it is I agree with this a new side players out. They didn't give in went to the death good game minus some soft tries from Canberra.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have the worst defence in the competition, yet our coach is known as an excellent defensive coach, what can we put it down to?

Last year, the Raiders would have won by 30 points. This year, we have an injury ridden side. The possession was with the Raiders when it mattered.
Yet, we still put 30 points on them. I'd call that a massive improvement on last year.

I can see a lot of positives as the Dogs work on their weaknesses and get their top squad back on deck. With JAC, Kikau, and Thompson in the side, we could have been on 12 points.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lol Baz was the excellent attacking coach. When we couldn’t score a point.

Defence is an attitude/mindset thing. But it is something you want to have consistency with who is defending next to who. The injuries have killed is for this. We have players all over the place. In what should be a straight defensive line. We have countless players running out of the line and coming up with thin air leaving massive holes.

The key to defence is consistency in the lineup. It doesn’t look like we will get that this season.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We aren’t defending kicks well at all. Either letting in tries directly from kicks, or we’ll knock it on and let in a try in the next set. I think it goes back to allowing teams to put so many attacking kicks in against us, which is a problem in the forwards. We get rolled over far too easily. Raiders rolled all over us tonight especially in the first half. You don’t see the good teams letting in 78m in the first set. Teams simply don’t fear our forward pack as they’ve done in the past. We need a bit more aggression tbh

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Admittedly, in the midst of an injury crisis, we've had 30+ put on us by some of the best attacks in the game.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

The players not doing their job

Hounddub

Waterboy
Reaction score
We looked like 13 strangers on the field. So much to be said for teamwork Index and time played together. No continuity in selections due to injuries.

Our left side defense in particular was terrible. But hey, what do we expect from Casey/ Alamoti who are just kids.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Really shattered with our defence this has dragged on from previous years and is a major concern.
We have no mongrel in defence
Refereee didn’t give us a look in at all today.
Positive we fought till the end .
Negative learn to tackle FFS
And importantly our line does not move up as a line (look at Alamoti today). We need to meet the attack before it gets too far over the advantage line........unfortunately we appear to wait for the attack to come to us. Perhaps it is a question of fitness, which has been a problem for Dogs for the past decade. Not helped a lot by playing King today, when he was obviously not fit & ready.