Working From Home vs Office

Which is more suitable to your circumstance, Working From Home or Office?

• Total voters

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Well that's been the way most of us have been working from 2020 and now again heading in 2021, so what best suits your current circumstances?

Working From Home:

Evening bedtime can be extended
Enjoying a sleep-in or longer snooze
No need to commute on public transport
No need to wear work attire
Eat your meals whenever you want, wherever you want

Office:

More sociable
Going for lunchtime walks
More Ergonomical

Wahesh

Reaction score
Home wins it for me at the moment, however in the near future when we all return to the office, my Department has given me the freedom to WFH part time which is a major winner.

Wahesh

Reaction score
@Raysie are you still working in your current job even though you've moved to NZ?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
There needs to be a hybrid option. I used to be 5 days a week in an office (with regular travel around our other offices in Australia and overseas).

I'm not a mixture of home and office, but travel hasn't happened and won't happen for at least another 6 months.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Office for me.

At home kids just crawl over you and won't let you work. I get more productivity in the office.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
It all depends on your situation but if I had a choice of mixing it up I would probably treat working from home days as half day offs which I’m sure the boss wouldn’t like. That’s just me I know I don’t have the discipline so for me going into work works. I started a thread about a similar topic and a lot of people didn’t like my views on the work from home crowd bludging. I was basing that off a couple of friends I know and they all have admitted that they fucking love it because you can do what you want. But if they are all productive and happier I guess it’s a good system.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Working from home mostly isn't an option in my line of work (catering and hospitality).

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I’d be interested to see how things down the track work out for full time work from home people. The whole experience will be like have virtual coworkers and in some cases coworkers that you have never actually physically met. Weird

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got three years till I retire so working from home suits me fine. I fully intend to work less and less as I reach retirement as I don't want it to be too much of a shock to my system. 8-)

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I've got three years till I retire so working from home suits me fine. I fully intend to work less and less as I reach retirement as I don't want it to be too much of a shock to my system. 8-)
That’s actually good advice my dad worked at Qantas for 36 years and was always busy every day and he actually took a forced redundancy as he didn’t really want to leave as he enjoyed his job but when he did he shat himself. Didn’t know what to do with himself tried to get into hobbies that he knew he had no real heart in and just didn’t really know how to pace his days. Started going up the club you know once or twice a week and then he found that got out of control there for a while and he admitted he had to reel it in. Anyway he now has a grandchild and he has balanced his weeks out now and is really enjoying it but he said it was scary for a while there as he felt lost.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s actually good advice my dad worked at Qantas for 36 years and was always busy every day and he actually took a forced redundancy as he didn’t really want to leave as he enjoyed his job but when he did he shat himself. Didn’t know what to do with himself tried to get into hobbies that he knew he had no real heart in and just didn’t really know how to pace his days. Started going up the club you know once or twice a week and then he found that got out of control there for a while and he admitted he had to reel it in. Anyway he now has a grandchild and he has balanced his weeks out now and is really enjoying it but he said it was scary for a while there as he felt lost.
Glad to hear your dad is doing better and yeah I've heard similar stories about people retiring. I'll be lucky to make it three years actually as I'm getting lazier by the day. :laughing:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I tend to work from anywhere now days and even though I want to switch off after hours, I end up working 24/7.

Not a fan of it though. I would prefer work and home to be separate. Home is the time when you switch off work and relax. I've spent the last few years working at home when needed and it puts an extra level of stress on you that you shouldn't have.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I tend to work from anywhere now days and even though I want to switch off after hours, I end up working 24/7.

Not a fan of it though. I would prefer work and home to be separate. Home is the time when you switch off work and relax. I've spent the last few years working at home when needed and it puts an extra level of stress on you that you shouldn't have.
I’m the same we need to have rules about it I think. So I’m a facility manager for a couple of 15 to 23 story commercial and retail buildings in Sydney CBD so I get after hours calls (I don’t get paid for it and I’m not really considered on call) but I get them which is fine if someone is stuck in a lift or there is a major flood or whatever but I’ve found more and more these days people think it’s okay to call you about shit like oh there is a trash bin that hasn’t been collected under my desk and it’s getting pretty full (first off how did you get my number and secondly who gives a fuck thirdly call the Fucking cleaner if it’s going to destroy your life and lastly WTF?? Are you for real) but they will make this call 8:30pm on a Saturday night and think that’s all good..I don’t like this new trend hey because I can see where it’s heading. There needs to be a switch off period. I guess I’m a bit different because there can be actually emergency issues I have to deal with but you know what I’m getting at only call me after hours if your arms chopped off..

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I started on that trend from the first day I ever worked. I'm capable enough now to create enough work for three people in one shift.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a bit scary in some ways that many men fall off the perch when they stop working due to the sudden lack of purpose.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Nah finished up the Melbourne job while I was on quarintine. Just finished my first day at work today haha
Oh ok. So over the ditch are you doing work from home there or is it all office based? I haven't really kept tabs on how things are in NZ but I hear they're handling Covid a lot better than us over here lol. Although Brisbane did get a 2nd case of the mutant variation of the virus yesterday.

Wahesh

Reaction score

I had that problem with one of my last jobs. Even when I wasn't in the office, I'd get 5-10 emails OVERNIGHT. Multiply that by 16 days off during Christmas/New Year, and you have a shit of a first day back. So I used to log on daily just to clear the emails.

In my current job I actually did not do that these holidays. I had 35-40 emails yesterday, but that's a small price to pay for the sanity of mental health and switching off for 2 weeks and enjoying my break.