Woolies vs Coles, the supermarket wars: Australia Day edition

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Woolworths ditches all Australia Day merch

Woolworths ditches all Australia Day merch

Woolworths is facing the wrath of customers keen on celebrating Australia Day after announcing it would axe merchandise for the celebration, as Coles weighs in on the controversial decision.

The supermarket chain confirmed no additional Australia Day-themed merch would be sold in its supermarkets or Big W stores for this year’s public holiday.
They cited a “gradual decline” in demand for the merchandise over the years and “broader discussion” about the January 26 date and “what it means” to different parts of the community.

“In terms of their bottom line, I’m sure they can handle... selling some great Aussie merchandise,” he said.

He was backed up by the shadow minister for education Senator Sarah Henderson, who said the decision was “not good enough”.

“If gouging customers on fruit and vegetable prices is not enough, Woolworths is now withdrawing from sale Australia Day merchandise,” she tweeted.

“Australia Day is a day for celebrating our freedoms, our values, and our unique Australian way of life.”

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was asked about the controversial decision, but said his main focus was on “making sure that supermarkets do the right thing by their customers at the checkout”.

“What I’d say to Australians is that Australia Day is a day in which you should buy Australian - buy some of that wonderful lamb... it’s a day in which we can give respect to First Nations people and acknowledge that it’s a difficult day for them, but it’s also a day in which we can reflect on what it means to be an Australian and how we can make the greatest country on Earth even better in the future,” he said.

The decision by Woolworths follows a campaign in recent years to change the January 26 date of Australia Day, which commemorates the First Fleet raising the British flag in Sydney.

Indigenous groups often refer to January 26 as Invasion Day, signifying their belief that the arrival of colonisation on Australian shores also accompanied the deaths and oppression of thousands of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

University of Newcastle historian Professor Lyndall Ryan estimates that more than 10,000 Indigenous lives were lost in more than 400 massacres by settlers and British forces, with thousands more dying from diseases introduced by the new arrivals.

Conservative commentators lined up to criticise Woolworths over its decision, with Prue MacSween calling for a boycott of the brand.

“It’s time to voice our opinion of woke corporates who are offending us. Hitting them at the cash register is the best way to do it,” she said.

“They haven’t got a conscience when they rip primary producers and Aussie suppliers off and of course us at the cash register.”

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Surprised nobody has posted about this.

Woolworths has announced it won't stock Australia Day themed items this year, and conservatives are chucking an epic wobbly. The anti cancel culture crew trying to cancel shit again. Bless those brave patriots *wipes tear from eye. Coles have now issued a statement saying it will stock heaps of Australia Day gear. Two contrasting marketing strategies - the woke market vs the love it or leave market. Who will prevail in the battle for national supermarket supremacy?

Even Peter Dutton has weighed in now, calling for Aussies to boycott Woolies. Good to see him trying to cancel one of the nation's biggest employers. You have to wonder how he finds the time between the troublesome chore of trimming his nose hairs without benefit of being able to see his reflection in the mirror, and focusing on actual problems affecting our country. Is lack of virtue signalling a thing? Someone on Dutton's PR team should trademark that.

Anyway, which side of the fence do you sit on? Team Woolies, or team Coles? Have at it.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Damn it...you beat me to it. Merge with my thread please, mods. My commentary was way better

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Someone please remind @Wahesh what the projected result of the referendum was before the Yes side screwed up their campaign and No resorted to cheap scare tactics.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Come on, man. You know Woolies have way better shit.
true, however I'm sick of it when a certain minority have to dislike/boycott a controversial issue.....

if you don't like it suck it up and let others celebrate it

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Someone please remind @Wahesh what the projected result of the referendum was before the Yes side screwed up their campaign and No resorted to cheap scare tactics.
The referendum was a clear indication that people have had enough of the Aboriginal people crying victim. This cancel culture calling for the boycotting of Australia Day is a subliminal part of that very same fabric - the fabric being doing what the Aboriginal people want.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
true, however I'm sick of it when a certain minority have to dislike/boycott a controversial issue.....

if you don't like it suck it up and let others celebrate it
How are Woolies not letting others celebrate it by making a business decision to not stock themed merch? That's totally their decision. It is the conservatives who are trying to impose boyvcotts. And it is the height of hypocrisy from people who say they are anti cancel culture.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How are Woolies not letting others celebrate it by making a business decision to not stock themed merch? That's totally their decision. It is the conservatives who are trying to impose boyvcotts. And it is the height of hypocrisy from people who say they are anti cancel culture.
im just speaking in general not about woolies

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh no. I'll have one less source of tacky Australia Day merchandise from a predatory grocery supplier. Not that I can prioritise wasteful crap like that when on average I see them bump prices up on shit I have to buy frequently by around 25%. There's about 12 items I decided to forfeit buying when Coles and Woolies decided to bump the price up on together. Collusion on prices used to be illegal and I frequently see it with Coles and Woolworths. So I might seem stingy to boycott products I used to love over prices. But I am stubborn like that. Alongside of that they've slashed their wage spend by culling night fill jobs and limiting register staff to bare bones.

So I don't give a shit about them dumping this merchandise. Would like to see the government introduce some law where they cap the amount of profit they can make on any item to a certain percentage. For sake of discussion we'll say they can't go over 15% profit on anything.

The flow on effect of this would be that if they're paying $5 a kg for meat, $1 per kg after processing and transport etc, the sales price for us would reflect that they can put it on the shelf for say cost to them of $6.50/kg. If there was an upper limit of 15% profit they couldn't charge $14/kg while short changing suppliers and gouging their customers. They'd have to sell the meat for around $8/kg. Apply a $6 saving to every kg of meat you buy. I know that I tend to stock up on soft drinks when they have a half price sale. I assume that Coke aren't dropping their supply price to accommodate the supermarket. So it's safe to say that if they can do a half price sale they regularly make and still profit. They're usually getting 100% plus profit on a bottle of coke when it's not on sale. That's likely the case with 99% of their items.

Maybe Australia Day gear only makes them 10-15% profit per item so they're dumping them. End of the day, I'm not going to rage about it. But I'd love to see the cost of groceries made affordable by the simple idea of having the profit cap on things. If they wanted to go over that cap the excess would be directly applicable to taxation for every cent profit over the 15%.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If you know what you're looking for, Coles has good stuff too, Woolies have more, but most of it is shit.

Every Woolies parking lot I've been to is an utter shit hole.
Our Woolies here has underground parking, whereas parking spots at Coles are limited and at a premium, so that's definitely not my experience.

I usually order a weekly grocery delivery from Woolies (because as a whole, I prefer its range), but will stop in at Coles once a week to pick up other odds and ends because it is closer to my home. I won't be altering that routine, although I am more aligned with Woolies stance. I think boycotting businesses over marketing decisions is just plain stupid.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Please change your name to "King of shit takes"
Based on some of the absolute rubbish I see you talking on the political threads, I'm taking that as a complement lol