Woolies vs Coles, the supermarket wars: Australia Day edition

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Our Woolies here has underground parking, whereas parking spots at Coles are limited and at a premium, so that's definitely not my experience.

I usually order a weekly grocery delivery from Woolies (because as a whole, I prefer its range), but will stop in at Coles once a week to pick up other odds and ends because it is closer to my home. I won't be altering that routine, although I am more aligned with Woolies stance. I think boycotting businesses over marketing decisions is just plain stupid.
What Woolies are doing is stupid though. The best way NOT to lose business is to remain neutral. If you start taking sides then you risk upsetting a group of customers, hence losing them.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What Woolies are doing is stupid though. The best way NOT to lose business is to remain neutral. If you start taking sides then you risk upsetting a group of customers, hence losing them.
Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I think this will hurt their bottom line. But a stupid marketing decision doesn't justify the equally stupid reaction, in my eyes. If you're going to go on about the perils of cancel culture, you can't just try to cancel a business that makes a decision you don't like. It's complete hypocrisy, man.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Well. Just as a shoutout to all the aluminium people, two top 10 shareholders in woolies are black rock and vanguard. And they currently own 71% of grocery in Australia.

And u wanted to know where covid came from. Sheeples.....

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Team Alan all the way.

If am doing my big weekly shop I'll search prices through the Coles and Woolies websites on the big things on my spend. Those are mostly meat, coke and junk food which regularly have decent savings available from time to time. If it means saving $10-15 I'll hit both shops which are about 500 metres apart where I live. Takes an extra 15 minutes, but if it means I'm getting a fortnight's worth of non perishable food etc at the regular cost of a week's supply it's worth it. I earn a decent living. But I still see the cost of shopping has been becoming an increasingly large portion of where my wage goes over time while I'm not increasing the quality of what I buy. I also know some single parents that are struggling hard to keep food on the table.

Made a post in the other thread on this topic. I'd love the government to come to the conclusion that the major supermarkets need to have a profit cap per item applied to everything they put on shelves. Knowing that they can frequently do half price sales on coke etc, it tells me they're regularly making 100% plus profit on them. Would be an instant way to end predatory pricing policies.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I do most of my shopping at Woolies which is 2 kilometres from home.

However because of my diet, I eat Carmen’s pro biotic porridge for Breakfast.

Woolies only have the standard Carmens. Thus I drive 7 kilometres to Coles and buy it in bulk whenever I have about 2 boxes left.

I have also noticed the Diet Rite no sugar soft drinks are available at some Woolies but not all. It obviously does not sell at my local Woolies.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh no. I'll have one less source of tacky Australia Day merchandise from a predatory grocery supplier.
Please let me know when you find a non predatory grocery.

Always a Bulldog

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How exactly does a supermarket prey on people?! I didn’t realise it was mandatory to shop at x, y or z. Shop where ya want.

Personally I am usually stuck paying the local IGA inflated prices. Now, I guess you could call them predatory in that they’re the only show in town, hence they can probably risk bumping up prices, and it would cost $20 or so in fuel to go to the next town. Sometimes I do just that if I wanna do other things there, and shop at Coles or Woolies, and rarely Aldi.

I often think of the supermarkets and all the negative comments about them, but think, it’s a good business to be in and all the whingers still go there, because the alternative is growing and raising all of your own wheat for flour, rice, animals and/or veg for food etc. You will always have customers as long as you have the range of products etc.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I just think criticism of them is just sour grapes and jealousy that you’re not in that game making a fortune. As for Woolies not selling Australia day merch anymore, pfft what a loss lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How exactly does a supermarket prey on people?! I didn’t realise it was mandatory to shop at x, y or z. Shop where ya want.

Personally I am usually stuck paying the local IGA inflated prices. Now, I guess you could call them predatory in that they’re the only show in town, hence they can probably risk bumping up prices, and it would cost $20 or so in fuel to go to the next town. Sometimes I do just that if I wanna do other things there, and shop at Coles or Woolies, and rarely Aldi.

I often think of the supermarkets and all the negative comments about them, but think, it’s a good business to be in and all the whingers still go there, because the alternative is growing and raising all of your own wheat for flour, rice, animals and/or veg for food etc. You will always have customers as long as you have the range of products etc.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I just think criticism of them is just sour grapes and jealousy that you’re not in that game making a fortune. As for Woolies not selling Australia day merch anymore, pfft what a loss lol.
Twerking for the elite lmao, totally expected from you.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Because a supermarket chain decided not to stock a bunch of faux patriot bogan apparel that was made in China....ok
Well what's Woolworths alternative to Chinese products FFS???...just let it slide and jump when people make noise..get outta here...

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Surprised nobody has posted about this.

Woolworths has announced it won't stock Australia Day themed items this year, and conservatives are chucking an epic wobbly. The anti cancel culture crew trying to cancel shit again. Bless those brave patriots *wipes tear from eye. Coles have now issued a statement saying it will stock heaps of Australia Day gear. Two contrasting marketing strategies - the woke market vs the love it or leave market. Who will prevail in the battle for national supermarket supremacy?

Even Peter Dutton has weighed in now, calling for Aussies to boycott Woolies. Good to see him trying to cancel one of the nation's biggest employers. You have to wonder how he finds the time between the troublesome chore of trimming his nose hairs without benefit of being able to see his reflection in the mirror, and focusing on actual problems affecting our country. Is lack of virtue signalling a thing? Someone on Dutton's PR team should trademark that.

Anyway, which side of the fence do you sit on? Team Woolies, or team Coles? Have at it.
Haha, I did not know about any of that.
Interesting to see how it all pans out.
I usually shop at wollies and won't be changing my habits, and I don't usually buy Australia day crap anyway.

But, if this is true, I'm disappointed in wollies.
Australia day should still be celebrated.
I know the date itself has its discussion points, but the celebration of this great nation should be had, and wollies shouldn't get involved in that political stuff in my opinion.

I can see why those with strong beliefs will be pissed at wollies.

The old go woke, go broke
I can't see that happening here to a monster like wollies, but they will need to be a little bit careful.
I am sure they have crunched the numbers haha.

Good topic of discussion though.
I look forward to the fights over this haha.
Where's the popcorn

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
That they do.
But I must say, the Coles potato salad is great, I sometimes go to Coles just for that
Don't think I've tried it. Will add it to my list of exploitative supermarket goodies to try lol

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
UnAustralian from Rip off king's Walletworths.
Go team ALDI they sell our Aussie day items.