Won't anybody think of the kids? Why Gus's Bulldogs signing blitz might come at a cost

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No wonder that poor dog in your avatar is passed out you must be a boring prick to live with.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will take another two years before most of our juniors are ready for first grade.

These signings are two year stop gaps until the juniors are ready.
Yes Chris, people who don't believe the long race narrative are going to exhaust every ounce of patience even next year ..
I expect a better year but we are a way off clearly regarding some of the gun youngsters stepping up.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the club now sees we need more experienced players who can defend at NRL standard but yes some of these slightly better players could block pathways. I'd prefer we added a handful of marquees than more standard NRL types. I think that would help the younger players more and would set better standards in the long run. Younger players loo up to stars and want to copy them including their harder training and extras

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Stop posting stupid Roar articles. This guy is the editor and his article makes no sense. It's all over the place and as usual you don't even know what point they're trying to make.
Absolutely - I couldn't agree more.

I started reading the article in good faith.

It was all over the shop.

As I read further and tried to make sense of the confusing mess it was, I actually started to feel sick in the stomach.

So I stopped reading and immediately my stomach was fine.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As usual from this source the writer misses 2 important facts;

1. There is no NRL Salary Cap on pathways, you can spend as much as you want to. Whereas recruiting NRL elite players on $big for long term contracts has the potential to screw up your Cap big time for a long time.

2. These are $small short term contracts (as other posters have noted), 1 or 2 years, so their effect on juniors is only relevant if there are juniors who are being blocked in that time frame. Plainly this is not the case, due to Covid and other factors there are a number of our juniors who will greatly benefit from the extra years to develop, grow and learn.

Gould knows this, just listen to his podcasts, the writer plainly doesn’t.

Always a Bulldog

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As usual from this source the writer misses 2 important facts;

1. There is no NRL Salary Cap on pathways, you can spend as much as you want to. Whereas recruiting NRL elite players on $big for long term contracts has the potential to screw up your Cap big time for a long time.

2. These are $small short term contracts (as other posters have noted), 1 or 2 years, so their effect on juniors is only relevant if there are juniors who are being blocked in that time frame. Plainly this is not the case, due to Covid and other factors there are a number of our juniors who will greatly benefit from the extra years to develop, grow and learn.

Gould knows this, just listen to his podcasts, the writer plainly doesn’t.

Always a Bulldog
Any juniors that have been in sgball or flegg this year that have stoodout will most likely be offered development contracts or tran n trial or secondtier contracts - if they continue to develop they may make fg after rd 10 next year.

Has anyone heard anymore about the possibility of extending the top 30 to 34 etc or allowing developemnt players n second tier contracted players to be selected before rd 11. - was mentioned earlier this as being considered given the effect of concussion protocols and injuries across clubs.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've had the most players blooded into the top grade of any NRL side this year.
Guys like Wilson and Alomoti showed nice touches when they debuted but slowly they showed inconsistency at this level in the ensuing weeks.
Their time will come again if they apply themselves with patience. It's unfortunate that they got no support or guidance from our more experienced lemons.
We're not really acquiring elite players at the moment but we do need to try something short term to keep us competitive. Hopefully Ciraldo knows what players are required.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He said Liam Knight in the back row too. You'd think these muppets from the Roar would at least watch the NRL and know he's a prop..
The article also said that Jacob Preston was a local junior, I thought he was a northern beaches junior.

It also said that Corey Allen was still at the club and could be let go...LOL